Was there starting at 6:45am for the 5K, left around 5pm for the day. Here are a few thoughts:
- 5K was AWESOME. It was the first one our family had ever done, with me at age 44 no less. My son was 7, so he has daddy beat by a few years. People were VERY friendly, folks were excited. Very cool to walk through Diamondback's back area. I really, really hope they do this again next year.
- Park was packed the whole time I was there. We left to shower at our hotel, came back about 10:10am. Went to The Racer, got pretty much right on, then decided to try to get on Flight of Fear. Was stunned when it was already at a 90 min wait. One of these days I'll learn to hit that first.
- We did the Reds Grille, and as others have noted, it was a rough first day for them. Our orders were not correct (missing side items, for instance), took a long time, etc. etc.. I felt bad for the poor girl waiting on us, she seemed completely stressed out as there were a LOT of folks complaining about long waits for food and missing items. What we were able to surmise is that the kitchen did not quite have their act together yet. Now, having said that, the food was very, very good (the ribs were fantastic) and the atmosphere and layout are excellent for old time Reds fans like me. It's just going to take the staff some time to find their rhythm I think. If, and I think more likely, ONCE they do, it will for sure be my fave place to eat at the park.
- One thing that was really weird was radio stations having throughout the park (ie, vans, DJs set up playing music, etc.). I'd never seen that before, but it's been a few years since I'd been to opening day. It may have been the old fogey in me, but the absolutely blaring rap music in the Action Zone was horrible. I don't mind loud music per se, but it was so incredibly loud that we could barely talk to each other. Really hope that is the last time I ever see/hear that.
- As I noted the lines for attractions were crazy, so we just did a few of the less popular ones, such as Adventure Express, the small log flume, etc.. But we thought maybe it would be a good day to finally check out Dinosaurs Alive, which we'd never done. Despite massive crowds elsewhere, the area was virtually empty. But we walked away incredibly impressed. It was a lot of fun walking through and seeing all the dinos; our whole family really enjoyed it. We were stunned how long a path it was...maybe not the best day to do it after that 5K! LOL
- Saw other notes of KI employees being really nice, and I echo that sentiment wholeheartedly! As we walked through Dinos Alive, no less than four staffers thanked us for being there and asked us if we were enjoying ourselves. We had a Cinnabon in the morning, the folks there were very friendly too. We talked with several employees, everyone of them was super nice. Bravo, KI - it's obvious that this was a directive, and it's a VERY much appreciated one.
Overall it was a great time, as usual. Can't wait to go back when it's not quite so crazy. We've got some Beast rides ahead of us!