The log flume and that stupid elephant

raptor

I was in kiddie land and I noticed that the old log flume was still there, I didn't realize that it was. I use to ride that when I was a kid and I loved it, but like every water ride they have to ruin by putting that stupid elephant at the end to ensure you get drenched. That ruins it for me, I would ride that all the time if not for that, but that ruins it. Why is it in today's world that you can't have a nice water ride without having to get drenched. I noticed all the parents on it tried to duck and avoid it but it can't be done, so obviously most people would prefer to stay dry, yeah you get a little wet from the hill but not much. That would be a ride a Kings Island that my mom could actually ride as most of those are gone, (aka the antique cars) but she certainly won't if she's gonna get drenched. You know if I want to get soaked I would go to the waterpark. If the ride naturally gets me a little wet, so be it, but I don't wanna get sprayed, I think it's ridiculous. I guess if they still had the enchanted voyage, since it's a water ride they would have to ensure you got drenched at the end of it. One of things I love about Paddleboat Excursion at Cedar Point is that I can actually ride a boat water ride without getting drenched. There use to be a lot of rides that were that way when I was a kid, but I guess that can be no more, it's ashame because boat rides used to be among my favorites.

I rode it and got my shirt drenched so I doubt I'll ride it again.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwindshawne
I was in kiddie land and I noticed that the old log flume was still there, I didn't realize that it was. I use to ride that when I was a kid and I loved it, but like every water ride they have to ruin by putting that stupid elephant at the end to ensure you get drenched. That ruins it for me, I would ride that all the time if not for that, but that ruins it. Why is it in today's world that you can't have a nice water ride without having to get drenched. I noticed all the parents on it tried to duck and avoid it but it can't be done, so obviously most people would prefer to stay dry, yeah you get a little wet from the hill but not much. That would be a ride a Kings Island that my mom could actually ride as most of those are gone, (aka the antique cars) but she certainly won't if she's gonna get drenched. You know if I want to get soaked I would go to the waterpark. If the ride naturally gets me a little wet, so be it, but I don't wanna get sprayed, I think it's ridiculous. I guess if they still had the enchanted voyage, since it's a water ride they would have to ensure you got drenched at the end of it. One of things I love about Paddleboat Excursion at Cedar Point is that I can actually ride a boat water ride without getting drenched. There use to be a lot of rides that were that way when I was a kid, but I guess that can be no more, it's ashame because boat rides used to be among my favorites.

i agree-I have only ridden it once since then, and i won't ride it again. That ruined the ride.

I personally like the elephant. I was always upset when I rode the ride and did not get wet. I also always hated when while working the ride people would say, "uh... this seat is wet," and ask for a towel or something to dry it with. Then they'd get off and yell at us for not telling them the elephant was there. The park does not try to hide the fact that its there. Its kind of hard to miss if you're watching the ride run.

I think there is a difference between a gentle boat ride or tunnel of love type ride and a water/thrill ride. The log flume type ride was taken from the idea of lumberjacks riding the logs down the side of the mountain on the water throughs that were used to transport the logs at the end of a days work. I believe that you're supposed to get wet in the process. I do think that it is a shame that Kings Island does not have some sort of gentle boat ride whether it be on a lake or in a tunnel, but I dont think the Log Flume was intended to fill that role.

Also the elephant is not always on. The employees can turn the elephant off. In the fall the elephant is not turned off as well as days where it is very cold out.

i agree-I have only ridden it once since then, and i won't ride it again. That ruined the ride.

There is a difference between getting wett and getting drenched, I would hardly call it a thrill ride, big boat by the festhaus area is a thrill ride, jmo

Yep the elephant rocks (especially on a warm day) Its also fun as my 4 yearold and myself have learned to watch people on the flume go by the elephant and get soaked!!

There is a warning at the front of the line"its a water ride you will get wet"

yeah you can get wet on a water ride and that doesn't bother me if a wave bounces up, it's the intentional spraying of me that ticks me off, when I was a kid there were water rides all over the place that you didn't get drenched on, a little wet maybe sprayed with a hose no, you can get that in the waterpark, obviously i'm in the minority, every water ride has to be a drencher, can't just have a nice ride.

yeah you can get wet on a water ride and that doesn't bother me if a wave bounces up, it's the intentional spraying of me that ticks me off, when I was a kid there were water rides all over the place that you didn't get drenched on, a little wet maybe sprayed with a hose no, you can get that in the waterpark, obviously i'm in the minority, every water ride has to be a drencher, can't just have a nice ride.

So I assume you do not like the gysers on White Water Canyon either?

Your screwed when you do and screwed if you don’t. If I remember right people used to complain when they wouldn’t get wet on this ride or just get a few drops on them and now we have someone complaining that they are getting wet.

Water rides are designed to be exciting and to cool you off at the same time. If you don't want to get wet then go ride something else. 99.9% of water rides get you wet in some way. Heck, you get wet on Pirates of the Caribbean at the Magic Kingdom which aside from the theming is the same ride as the Enchanted Voyage.

If you don’t want to get wet whether it is just a little bit or drenched then don’t ride a water ride go ride the Viking Fury, then you are sure to stay dry but you can still get the boat experience that you are probably looking for.

Yeah but it ain't a water slide it's a boat ride, how about if you wanna get drenched goto the water park, for years and years log flume rides were out there and they didn't spray you with a hose.

No i've never rode ww canyon, because i don't wanna get drenched. I rather go back in time and ride gullivers travel nice boat ride, didn't get drenched.

Before the concept of spraying you with a hose I was the biggest fan on earth of log flumes, there can be a concept of riding on the water and not getting drenced, boats are fun it ain't nesicarilly about getting wet.

Gee if the fact that I don't wanna get drenched means I should't be riding boat rides, than I guess Cedar Point is really screwing up by not drenching it's guest on it's paddle boat ride, what could they be thinking

I agree with you, raptor. I don't see the intentional spray of water as necessary whereas water bouncing up and getting you as actually apart of the ride instead of some gimmick.

So I assume you do not like the gysers on White Water Canyon either?

I wasn't the biggest fan of the geysers when I rode it earlier this year. I'm pretty sure I got more wet on WWC than most rides at BB and I wasn't waring cargo shorts and a t-shirt.

Water rides are designed to be exciting and to cool you off at the same time. If you don't want to get wet then go ride something else. 99.9% of water rides get you wet in some way. Heck, you get wet on Pirates of the Caribbean at the Magic Kingdom which aside from the theming is the same ride as the Enchanted Voyage.

Pirates of the Caribbean doesn't spray you with a hose or geyser. You barely get wet; maybe the people in the first row getting a little water splashing up from the drop right away (either way it's just mist).

This brings up great memories, a while back i can not remember maybe 3 years or so ago I got my dad to go on that ride with my friend and myself. He enjoyed the whole thing until the elephant, which at that point he screamed like a little girl and tried to duck from the water. It was a hilarious memory I will always keep.

^lol^ at that...this is the same type of argument people have with shows on TV, if you dont like it, turn it off! If you dont like the elephant, dont ride! Its part of the experience, I for one love that little booger just sitting there and then soaking you! Ive always thought that the funniest thing at amusement parks, is people that ride water rides with a warning of soakage, that complain about getting wet, or sincerly avoid the water. It just astounds me...

I am a little biased of course, as my favorite ride is Splash Mountain!

I cant believe that we're argueing whether there is a difference between a log flume and a ride along boat ride like gulivers rub a dub.

Have you ever ridden another parks log flume, most of them you get significantly more wet on. The log flume at Americana used to get you soaked. Holiday world got me soked. Kennywoods, got me drenched. Kings Island doesnt get you wet like it used to so they improvized.

You argue that you think that its okay to get wet by getting splashed but then get upset if you get drenched. What does it matter what the method of deliverance of the water is. AND why do you keep comparing the log flume to rides like Gulivers Rub a Dub. One ride is a ride through the woods on swiftly moving water with hills and lifts, the other is a level trough of water with slow flowing water. Its apples an oranges. One of them, the emphasis is your surroundings, the other is the fact that your riding along in a log through a trough of water, NOT TO MENTION that it has a jungle theme to it with animals including elephants. Now you know that the elephant is there, if you dont want to get wet, dont ride.

Also this past March I was in the third row of Pirates of the Carribbean and I got wet from both the drop and the cannon ball firing.

And its a shame that you dont like getting sprayed by the gysers on WWC cause man do they love spraying you.

In complete agreeance with Nick, I would like to add that Snake River Falls at CP will hose you down, and has drenched me more than any other log flume has, aside from Raging Thunder, one of the greatest flume rides of all time that resides at the now defunct Americana!

There is a complete difference between flumes, where you WILL GET WET!! and snenic boat rides like "Its a small World" where you WILL GET BORED! (I dont really get bored on Its a small world, but you get the point...its just a leisurely stroll in sometimes no more than a foot of water, a completely diff experience)

I cant believe that we're argueing whether there is a difference between a log flume and a ride along boat ride like gulivers rub a dub.

Have you ever ridden another parks log flume, most of them you get significantly more wet on. The log flume at Americana used to get you soaked. Holiday world got me soked. Kennywoods, got me drenched. Kings Island doesnt get you wet like it used to so they improvized.

You argue that you think that its okay to get wet by getting splashed but then get upset if you get drenched. What does it matter what the method of deliverance of the water is. AND why do you keep comparing the log flume to rides like Gulivers Rub a Dub. One ride is a ride through the woods on swiftly moving water with hills and lifts, the other is a level trough of water with slow flowing water. Its apples an oranges. One of them, the emphasis is your surroundings, the other is the fact that your riding along in a log through a trough of water, NOT TO MENTION that it has a jungle theme to it with animals including elephants. Now you know that the elephant is there, if you dont want to get wet, dont ride.

Also this past March I was in the third row of Pirates of the Carribbean and I got wet from both the drop and the cannon ball firing.

And its a shame that you dont like getting sprayed by the gysers on WWC cause man do they love spraying you.

Well said NR.com!

Yes other flumes do get you wetter, because they are bigger flumes, the ki is a relatively small one, but there is nothing more irritating then somebody waiting to spray you with a hose, The sad thing is I am a huge huge fan of log flumes, Just not a fan of being sprayed and from sitting there watching the ride I could tell well over 50% of the people looked irritated by it as well, obviously not the opinion here though and that's fine, just expressing my opinion.

I really like ridding WWC, we used to be able to go on but some how my 6 year old is no longer tall enough even though she rode it the past two years.

We don’t ride Congo Falls because we don’t like to get drenched then ride the other rides in that area.

We used to like going on Wild Thornberry’s River Ride after ridding WWC because we are already wet. We all (my family) have said several times through out the years I would like to ride WTRR but I don’t want to be sprayed by the Elephant. So it works for us sometimes and it doesn’t other times and the deciding factor for not going is because of the Elephant.

If they put it up for a vote I would vote to either turn on all the water features on the ride our turn them all off so. We would vote to turn the Elephant off.

And there is nothing wrong with that at all, nothing wrong with people deciding not to ride something that doesnt suite them. But it is those people that get on and complain, or know what is coming and complain, or get off and complain that a water ride got them too wet, and then ride again the next time...and yes complain again, that need to find something else to ride.

I am pretty sure if they held that vote like you suggested, they would be removing the elephant :(

I knew exactly what I was getting into, I knew I would get drenched, I'm not complaining because it took me by surprise I complaining because of my love for log flumes, that's what got me on, but I can still complain, I would ride it a heck of a lot more if not for the elephant, because I love log flumes. If they put it to a vote, and it would get voted out, seems to me they should take it out, If the majority of the people that go to the park want it there then it should stay, I just wish it wasn't there.

I'm sure I'll ride it again, because I love the things but I'd certainly ride it a lot more if it wasn't there.

A little story, off topic kind of but it is still relevant...Somewhat.

If your alone, you wont get that wet. But me, and 3 friends rode it and the ride opp said she has not seen a bigger splash while working on that ride! The part right after we went down the hill, water was literally pouring into the boat until we got by the curve. Of course we were floating as normal but all of the weight - ehh - We got drenched. It was amazing because I have NEVER gotten that wet on a log ride (or seen a splash that high)! The elephant only worked for us. For some reason, it wasn't working before us or after us... Guess we gave it some extra water pressure. LOL. It was funny because we were packed in a log like a can of sardines, it wasnt my favorite but I can't wait to do it again.. But I hope this time I don't have to sit in front! Not that it would matter because all of us looked like we just swam, not rlike we just rode the Wild Thornberry's River Adventure.

Back on topic..

I love the elephant, especially on a hot day. They should have ponchos on hand for people who hate the elephant. Thats my idea but why take it out because like others have said, that IS what gets you wet mainly.

They should have ponchos on hand for people who hate the elephant.

Haha, if you've never been to Cedar Point than you have no idea how prophetic of a statement you may have just made!

For those who havent been and are wondering, Cedar Point has stands outside the entrance of every water ride, selling towels, ponchos, and sacks to keep articles dry. I would imagine they make a killing off that stuff. And if anything were to come to Kings Island from Cedar Fair, I would bet my money that, that would be a certainty in the not-so-distant future, of course only time will tell!

I am a little biased of course, as my favorite ride is Splash Mountain!

I love Splash Mountain as well, you get a little wet but not too much plus the theming and layout are great, IMO. One of my favorite rides at night as well because I've rode it once when Wishes was going on and it was beautiful. I would love to see a blueprint of it to actually see what part of the mountain you are in at different parts of the ride.

My brother came up with a good idea for the elephant...

They should have it randomized so it squirts sometimes and other times it doesn't. When it doesn't get you wet it could be spraying until you get there and then stop and maybe let out a little bit to scare you. It could also only spray one seat sometimes or play some other games with the people in the flume. That would make it fun.

Hey could I take an umbrella on board, lol

The poncho thing may not be a bad idea,

Never realized that was what those were sold for at cp, I always assumed it was for rain.

although I'd still rather see Dumbo fly away :)