It's a Star Spangled Celebration, New Kings Island PR Announced

Nobody puts on a bigger 4th of July fireworks show than Kings Island in southern Ohio. This one night only special event was comprised with huge colorful fireworks exploding in the air synced to patriotic country music.

Check out some stunning photos of this event here in our photo gallery!

As usual, bookmark us and keep it here on KICentral.com, The Guide to Kings Island!

Also!

The position of Public Relations Manager is been vacant since Maureen Kaiser left the company to pursue other interest a few weeks into the season. It is my proud responsibility to inform you that the position has been filled by a Racer riding legend, proud family man, hockey broadcasting legend, and most importantly long-time friend of KICentral, Mr. Don Helbig.

If that name rings a bell, it may be the fact that he's acquired local fame by holding the world record in rides on The Racer at just short of 12,000. Of course, you may recall hearing about a special ceremony a few years ago for Don's 1,000th visit to the park. Then again, you may be familiar with Don from hearing him as the head of PR and broadcasting for the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks and Cyclones.

Don left town with his family less than a year ago to continue his career doing PR for the AHL's Albany Riverrats and their arena football team, the Albany Conquest. Doing this, he left the Cincinnati area just shy of his 12,000th ride on The Racer.

Kings Island Central wants to be one of the first to welcome the Helbig family back home to Cincinnati, and to say, Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Dane & Ryan

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't a "4th of July fireworks show" have to be ON the 4th?

Just askin'

Nice pix, though.

Yea but due to the holiday being right in the middle of the week many people celebrated the 4th of July on the 3rd of July.

What many people are those? I know that in Georgia that the 4th is pretty much always celebrated on well...... the 4th.

Well, Coney has always had their annual balloon glow on the third of July, regardless of what day the fourth of July falls on. Was their any extra in park entertainment yesterday? I know in years past they`ve had some special patriotic entertainment to celebrate the fourth.

Downtown Columbus does the annual "Red, White, & Boom" celebration on July 3rd as well. The purpose is to not interfere with the fireworks displays in the suburbs on 07/04. For those of us who work downtown, you end up getting two holidays because we all leave early before 500,000 people come streaming downtown :)

Not to nitpick, but wouldn't a "4th of July fireworks show" have to be ON the 4th?

Just askin'

Nice pix, though.

Yea but due to the holiday being right in the middle of the week many people celebrated the 4th of July on the 3rd of July.

What many people are those? I know that in Georgia that the 4th is pretty much always celebrated on well...... the 4th.

From what I hear, the ones who go to church on Wednesday night, and are adamantly opposed to having other celebrations interfere with that--be they high school ball games or national celebrations...

Twill be interesting to see what CF does at KI next time the 4th of July falls on Wednesday...provided of course they still own the park in 2012...

Church should be over by 10 P.M. Also, I think it was a great move, it allowed people who have to work on the 5th to travel to KI late on the third, attend on the fourth and go home that night. I'm for it. Don't be surprised to see this happen again next year.

To answer whomever asked, the park didn't seem to be crowded to me, until later in the day, when the park filled up for the fireworks. However, my youth group left at around 9:30, so I didn't see the fireworks.

If you saw a guy in a royal blue WVUIT shirt, it was me.

I must say that I was VERY dissapointed in the fireworks display. I live in a small town and would rather have stayed in town to watch fireworks. That is pretty sad....The park was great though...not too big of a crowd through the day. The Firehawk is my new favorite roller coaster!! I will not be attending KI Fireworks to celebrate the 4th ever again though.

I am shocked to see that someone has stated that "Ohio is the dumbest state of all 50." In my opinion, that is a hideously dumb (actually more ignorant than anything) statement.

Again, in my opinion, the reason KI and Columbus, as well as some other cities, have the fireworks at the 3rd is because most cities in the state have them on the 4th.

It is certainly feasible that the reason for having them on the 3rd is so more people show up. For many, attending their local fireworks is family tradition. If large "destination" displays are also on the 4th, fewer people may attend the park. It's not stupid; in fact, it's brilliant.

I just finished watching our local display--on the 4th of July. There is a country club here locally who also host a rather significant fireworks display and guess what? They have it on the 3rd -- why? Because they are not going to be able to compete with the city's fireworks and they want to have the greatest amount of attendance.

Brilliant or not and for whatever reason they scheduled it only on the 3 rd instead of over several days, that decision motivated us to look other places to spend our holiday together. Admitting no fireworks alone on the fourth was not the deciding factor for us not to come, but it was also the fact that there was nothing extra as far as entertainment which is the big reason why we always try to come on the forth each year and vowed to make it a tradition. Here in Indiana most folks worked on the third and then started their vacations on the forth and for all those who commute to work through congested areas can back be up on this as the traffic Monday and Tuesday was a little lighter and then today significantly lighter.

Two types of parks drawing different types of guests within the same company must adapt to what works for each park.

Let me explain; Disneyland vs. Disney World

Disney World is in a vacation destination and sees some locals and repeat yearly visitors but by far most guest passing through their gates are guests who only come once or with several years in-between. So Disney World tries to stick to a similar park offering throughout the year and makes modest changes here and there for the seasons but they want their guests to finally see the traditional shows that they have been hearing so much about through out the years.

Disney Land also is a vacation destination but they have close to (or do have) one million season pass holders which make up for the majority of their gate. Disney Land operates as a continues every changing park but at the same time trying to stay true to there overall theme. But to maximize their gate they offer many special event promotions to keep their local season pass holders to come back often throughout the year.

I think Paramount ran KI more like Disney Land to keep the regulars coming back often.

I hope and would like to see that trend to continue with Cedar Fair.

The tower in red, white, and blue was really neat.

Yeah I did find that as a nice touch. Has anyone else been to EPCOT on the 4th of July? I was there for it about 3 summers ago. They start out with the regular awesome Illuminations show and then they do the holiday special, which proceeded the show and was like five minutes. I think the first four were artsy and to patriotic music and then the last minute was just as many fireworks they could light up the sky as possible. It was pretty freakin' sweet.

I thought the park was insanely crowded for a Tuesday, but it was the SSC. As for the fireworks, granted they were larger and there were more than there normally are on any given day at KI, but after seeing our fireworks on Sat (rained out on wednesday) I was disappointed in KI. To be the supposed largest fireworks display ever in KI history, it was tiny. I live in a town that's about 75000 if that, and all we have is a walmart and a goodys... and our fireworks show beat KI 20 to 1. It was nearly twice as long, and the fireworks were larger and prettier.

deb