>>Confirmed!<< SOB Now Open!

HelixSpiral

*IF* it opens at all!! Right people?? Right Interpreter?!

I'm just sort of kidding because I really hated all the *IF* people when it came to SOB....it's like they were rooting for it to NOT open, which was really annoying, and so now I can gloat and gloat even more if it really is smooth now with airtime and becomes a hit!!

But too bad about the rain today, and I'm glad I did not go today, but will for sure over the next few days...

I'll reserve my judgment. Heaven knows that to this point SOB has been anything less than successful. It's been open less than a day and you're calling it open? for how long?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went over to ride it today, along with UncleHenry and Ryan, but unfortunately, just a couple cycles from boarding, a storm cell came in. They took off for Stricker's, while I took off to see Evan Almighty at a nearby movie theater.

Yes, SOB was running both its red and blue trains.

Did the ride appear to be faster? Did the ride open at park opening time? Did it shut down at all during the time? Were both trains running? Any pain? Lastly, how did the restraints feel?

Sorry for all the questions.

the speed is still up there. it opened at 1:45. we were on the first train open to the public.

the employees of the park rode the 2 prior trains. both trains are running. restraints are

similar to The Beast, except not as confining. no pain at all. i have 2 slipped discs in my

back and an artificial hip and had no problems at all. i would like to hear the actual

speed. they only got in a couple of trains before it started raining. we headed out at

that point. that's the great thing about living 8 miles from the park. if rains or gets

too crowded, we just head home. we'll probably go back later if we get a lot of rain.

that tends to drive people from the park.

Are you sure you should be riding at all!? :blink: With a medical history like that I would think your doctor would ban you from coasters. I suppose modern medicine is amazing though.

As Tom stated before, I swung by KI to catch a ride on SOB before heading down to Stricker's. Unfortunately luck wasn't a lady tonight and it went down due to weather twice, and since I had friend's waiting at Stricker's, I had to make the the call to let SOB wait a few days.

I also spoke to a credible park official who told me Drop Zone wouldn't be long before it repopens.

Good days at KI!!

I'm glad they at least got the ride open. I'm very curious to check out the experience. With that sad, no one should put all their eggs in one basket just yet. Remember, many times SOB has re-opened to smooth and somewhat good reviews, only to fall by the wayside. It'll be interesting to see what happens.....you should have a pretty good idea by the end of the season how the new trains are going to treat it.

- Todd, off to Cedar Point today for some Maverick but hopefully to KI tomorrow to check out SOB

I also rode Son of Beast yesterday. I noticed the ride testing while walking through the park headed over to watch. To my surprise, they were loading when I got there so of course I had to get in line :-)

It ran about 3 or 4 trains and then shut down for about 15 minutes due to a small electrical issue. Once it re-opened, the line moved quickly - even with losing 1/3 of the ride's capacity due to 2 bench trains. The operators were doing a good job of getting people in and out - in almost every instance, they had the train dispatched with the second still out on the course (I didn't see any stacking). I barely made it on before another weather delay (I was on the last train before shut-down).

The new trains were comfortable enough. Definitely more space due to the lack of floor modifications that were present in the old trains. The ride experience itself was also improved. There was a very noticable difference in the sections that had been re-tracked, and the existing sections of track also felt better in the new trains. One things is for certain - it was running VERY fast yesterday.

I rode in the front car, back seat.

In my opinion, don't go expecting miracles. It was much better than the old Son of Beast (I still miss the loop though). You still need to remember that it is a wooden coaster going 80 mph. If you think it is going to be perfectly smooth, you'll be disappointed. If you compare it, though, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My dad and I rode it last night. We weren't really sure what to expect. I do like the new trains, I now dislike the ride even more however. Some of the rough parts were actually very smooth. The Rose Bowl was a different story. It was the roughest either my dad or I have ever felt it. It was the same "jackhammer" type of roughness that was there before, only much harder and more violent. The element where the loop was is pretty neat though.

Maybe we just got in the wrong seat at the wrong time, but if the others are anything like this I won't be riding SoB anymore. Just way too rough.

It's great news again that SoB is open I will be traveling there saturday and I didn't want to go with SoB and drop zone closed.

However, It was just like I expected with new trains that it would be noticeably smoother from experience and it does seem like it will be more enjoyable to the masses because many people have been scared away by the rough nature of it. Great decision-making by KI

After I got off work today, I decided to give SOB a ride.

I got in the very last seat, and WOW! Airtime is right. Although it was a little rough, it's nothing worse than how it felt last year. Plus I'm sure the fact that I was riding in the back had something to do with the roughness.

I'm so glad it's back :D