S.O.B.

adventure2007

Why hasn't it opened with the park yet? The seats are exactly like The Villian? I thought they looked more like cars from Twisted Twins at KK. I was hoping for a little more padding but I'll have to wait to ride it to judge it. How many hours have they been running the coaster per day? Any mechanical problems? I hope it's running when I go down there. I have missed it for so long I want to ride it.

The ride has opened at 1:45 PM both days so far and I don't know about yesterday but today when it finished raining and they were testing it again they did have mecanical problem but I believe that all they had. They did stop the first train of the day at the bottom of the hill today but I think that was planned because there was an mechanic walking around the transfer track

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it means that's going to open late everyday. If in fact it is opening late because of the extensive track walks, they could just start doing the walks earlier. But I really have no clue, why it hasn't been opening till about 2pm the last few days.

I was able to ride it today. My impression of it is that it is still as rough as it always was, but it doesn't hurt because there is a lot more room in the new trains. The ride is just boring now though, there is no airtime, it is slow compared to its top speed, and there is not much to it. The loop is what made it worth while and fun. There is no thrill except for the first drop. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed.

It could also be that there are higher possibilities of a rollback if testruns are done early in the morning. That seems somewhat unlikely though, but it is possible, even with water dummies. I suspect that extensive track walks do fit the case. They are going to very careful early on to catch where the new trains will particularly wear the track.

I was able to go up to the park yesterday and ride sob. While in line I ran into an old friend of mine, tom wilson who was there with ryan (whom ive never met before). We only waited about 30 min. I have to admit I was very worryied and excited to try sob again. I am a taller person and the old trains always banged up my knees. I noticed that the first row in each train seemed to have a bit more leg room so thats where I headed. I was very impressed with the ride. It still does bounce around abit in the rose boll and a few other spots but it is much more bearable. Maybe because of the track work, the lighter trains, more room in the trains or a combination of all three. It seems like it is much smoother than both The Beast and definately The Racer. I really enjoyed the first part of the ride up until the second helix then it just gets boring especailly with no airtime. All in all a much improved ride and very rideable for all.

Tom it was good to see you again and Ryan it was good to meet you. I hope we run into each other some other time at the park.

I (my Family(im 14)) was at the park on the 4th and 5th. on wends. we got on about 7:30? we waited about 20 min. The ride was kinda bumpy but a LOT of fun! We got on again at aproximetyl 9:27 after aboutan hour wait. it was considerably more bumpy but alot of fun.

I noticed that the ride could function with a third train and that the que area could use a bit of clean up.

S.O.B. is my new favorite woodie! see ya Mean Streak

So for the People who have ridden the new SOB, are they any trim brakes that you know of, other then the mid-course brake?

I didn't notice any other brakes than the mid-course ones, which made me happy since I was afraid they were going to add lots. I still like the ride, as for people saying it's rough of course it's going to be a rough to some extent it's a wooden coaster that is over 200 feet tall. I would be disappointed if it was totally smooth kinda takes the fun out of it. I'm just glad it's open again. And somewhere else someone said they liked the blue train. I do too. It looks very sharp up close with the logo on it.

Maybe it is just me, but I am getting more than a little irritated at the many comments that read:

* Of course it is rough, it's wood.

OR

* Of course it is rough, it is big wooden coaster.

I have only two words in reply:

El Toro.

No, it's not 200 feet tall. But it is darn close.

And it is smoother than ANY coaster at Kings Island, wood or steel, except, maybe whatever giggly thing they are calling Scooby Zoom aka Taxi Jam this week! :)

Maybe it is just me, but I am getting more than a little irritated at the many comments that read:

* Of course it is rough, it's wood.

OR

* Of course it is rough, it is big wooden coaster.

I have only two words in reply:

El Toro.

No, it's not 200 feet tall. But it is darn close.

And it is smoother than ANY coaster at Kings Island, wood or steel, except, maybe whatever giggly thing they are calling Scooby Zoom aka Taxi Jam this week! :)

Wow, for a new member you make some pretty big comments and to attack the The Interp. The Interp is well respected, especially on KICentral and he is not a hommer to KI or any park. He tells it like it is and sometimes folks have issues with that, especially when dealing with KI.

Anyways back to the Interps post...

El Toro is the exception to the norm and also a rareity in the industry. Also it will be interesting to see how the ride holds up after a few years of opperation. Most woodies gradually get a little rougher over time and it will be interesting to see what happens to El Toro.

a. It speaks volumes that my favorite wood, by far, is either The Georgia Cyclone or Tremors, depending on the day. Neither is known for their non-violent smooth action! :)

b. It was an IF. The park has reopened Son of Beast. I hope it stays open and stays the relatively smooth ride--for Son of Beast--that it is currently. My complaint is not with those who think the ride is great, my complaint is that people think woodies must be rough. Rough? No. There is a huge difference between rough and violent. Roughness is not good. There is a huge difference between Racer when the track and trains are in good condition and when they are not, as they were not in the early 1990's.

A violent woody is something many these days are opposed to, due to becoming accustomed, in my opinion. to the glass smooth rides of B and M coasters. Back in the day, few complained that Vortex, for example, was rough. Now many do.

Sorry it just all I have read from the Interp on here about the SOB is how rough it is, how much smoother other woodies are, and IF they reopen it.

Well, thats because its true. For all you know, these modifications to SOB are going to fail tremendously (and from how flippin' rough the rosebowl was last night, I'm not convinced the ride is fixed). With that said, Interpreter is right. SOB was hands down the roughest wood coaster period. Actually, Ohio in general is home to MANY of the roughest wood coasters. Mean Streak sucks. Beast ran like crap on my last ride and lets not even dive into Racer.

Wood coasters provide a rougher ride than steelies, yes, but not to the point where its uncomfortable to ride. Go take a spin on Voyage. Its not that much shorter in height than SOB, its only about 300 feet shy of being as long, and its nearly as fast. Yet, I can decide to ride in any seat I want and still get a comfortable ride.

As for being man enough to handle Son of Beast, get a grip dude. If you like having every internal organ in your body jostled out of place, more power to you.

- Todd

And I'm getting sick of you being so negative about this ride. Sorry it's not like your precious El Toro. Get over it and stop riding it if your not man enough to handle the Son of Beast.

Why does Interp, and many others, have negative things to say about SoB? Because they are right. The ride has sucked.

SoB has been up to now an absolutely terrible coaster. It has beat up guests from day one. If that was not the truth, than please explain why Paramount and now Cedar Fair has spent millions of dollars as well as months of downtime fixing a ride that, in your opinion, needs real men to handle it.

Sorry dawg, it doesn't add up.

Another intresting point is: where it ranks with other coasters. Yes rankings are very skewed due to people voting for/ against coasters they have not been on yet. The common arguement is which is the best steel coaster MF or SRoS at SFNE? -or- which is the best wood coaster, El Toro, Voyage, or Boulder Dash?

But the one common in all the rankings, SoB has been near dead last. It has even been ranked behind coasters that have been removed.

Wood coasters are NOT supposed to be an uncomfortable ride. I have not seen a sign on ANY coaster that says "Deal with it, wood coasters are supposed to kick your ass. Be a man about it!"

Extreme? Yes. Violent to the point where it is tearing itself apart and hurting guests? Absolutely not.

Guest kwindshawne

I always had issue with the rose bowl roughness...I want to ride it one last time, but it will have to wait...I have a back injury from moving and am going to heal before I ride again.

I hope it is fixed...I really do...I never liked it much, but am curious as to how it is now compared to last year when I rode it one week before the accident. The only part I ever enjoyed was the first hill and the loop.

Geez---everyone needs to just take a chill pill about the Son of Beast and whether or not it is rough--isn't that a personal decision anyway??

I have not riden SOB yet this year, but I did ride it the day before it shut down---and quite frankly I was surprised it shut down and injuried everyone on the ride. I have been told by many people I have a high tolerance for pain (especially for being a girl :D ) I have yet to ride a roller coaster that is rough--and I've riden quite a few in my day.

On the other hand---my boyfriend complains that The Beast is too rough---which has caused some stress in our relationship since The Beast is my all-time favorite ride. Since I have been riding The Beast from the time I was tall enough to ride--I have learned some simple tricks to make the ride 'smoother', which out of the kindness of my own heart I will share with everyone.

1. For all roller coasters---lean the opposite way of the turn (for example, if the track is turning left, lean right). Due to centripetal force you will be 'thrown' in the opposite direction of the turn, if you are already leaning this way the 'throw' isn't so sudden and violent (so to speak).

2. For The Racers---NEVER sit in the second car (going down the hill). Due to the constant up and down of the track--this car basically gets caught in the middle between the car before trying to go up a hill and the car behind it still trying to come down from the hill. If you REALLY listen while you are riding in this car, it actually comes off the track during that time, which then upon returning to the track is very hard on your back. My suggestion for the smoothest ride on The Racers is to be in the first car going down the hill.

3. For any roller coaster with the bar that comes over your head (which if my memory serves me right, I believe The Vortex and Face off are the only roller coasters with these now, Outer Limits (or Flight of Fear) used to have them)---hold your head to one side, typically on The Vortex when you are going down the 'second' hill (so to speak, the part when you begin all of the corkscrews) hold your head to the right side---this will reduce any banging back and forth of your head.

4. Don't tense up when riding any ride at any park---when you tense your muscle they are more prone to become injuried during the ride. Also, usually the pain you may feel after a visit to the park isn't due to the rides, but actually due to you straining muscle that you don't use as often---just relax and enjoy the ride!!!

Geez---everyone needs to just take a chill pill about the Son of Beast and whether or not it is rough--isn't that a personal decision anyway??

Its true, its a personal decision. However, after reading the rest of your post, you summed up what I preach all the time. You shouldn't have to *defensively* ride a ride to enjoy it. Which was always the case with Son of Beast and I think still is to an extent. 2/3 of the seats on a coaster train shouldn't be unbearable.

I rode the front seat of the back car last night and the Rosebowl was just as bad as it was last year. Curiosity has the best of me, I intend to ride the back seat tomorrow....so we'll see what happens :-)

- Todd

I rode the same seat earlier in the day, and even though I felt some shaking/roughness, I felt it was a little better than usual. LOL But I guess it's just all personal opinion. I think a reason I may think it's better, my knees no longer bang into the grab bar during the ride. LOL

have not riden SOB yet this year, but I did ride it the day before it shut down---and quite frankly I was surprised it shut down and injuried everyone on the ride. I have been told by many people I have a high tolerance for pain (especially for being a girl :D ) I have yet to ride a roller coaster that is rough--and I've riden quite a few in my day.

Same here! Last year, I thought SoB was in its best condition!

On the other hand---my boyfriend complains that The Beast is too rough---which has caused some stress in our relationship since The Beast is my all-time favorite ride. Since I have been riding The Beast from the time I was tall enough to ride--I have learned some simple tricks to make the ride 'smoother', which out of the kindness of my own heart I will share with everyone.

The Beast isn't bad anymore! CF put some new wood on it :)

. For all roller coasters---lean the opposite way of the turn (for example, if the track is turning left, lean right). Due to centripetal force you will be 'thrown' in the opposite direction of the turn, if you are already leaning this way the 'throw' isn't so sudden and violent (so to speak).

I usually lean into the turns, like on Vortex through the turns, just to be safe.

. For The Racers---NEVER sit in the second car (going down the hill). Due to the constant up and down of the track--this car basically gets caught in the middle between the car before trying to go up a hill and the car behind it still trying to come down from the hill. If you REALLY listen while you are riding in this car, it actually comes off the track during that time, which then upon returning to the track is very hard on your back. My suggestion for the smoothest ride on The Racers is to be in the first car going down the hill.

I had that seat yesterday, it was HORRIBLE! My advice, since it recieved a lot of new wood, is ride in the back. There is one bumpy part, but all the airtime on the first drop and numerous hills make up for it! The Racer is my #2 woodie now! (behind Thunderhead ;) )

. For any roller coaster with the bar that comes over your head (which if my memory serves me right, I believe The Vortex and Face off are the only roller coasters with these now, Outer Limits (or Flight of Fear) used to have them)---hold your head to one side, typically on The Vortex when you are going down the 'second' hill (so to speak, the part when you begin all of the corkscrews) hold your head to the right side---this will reduce any banging back and forth of your head.

And Top Gun, but no roughness there. I do agree with you on the part about Vortex, but I usually do that automatically, have rode it so many times.

. Don't tense up when riding any ride at any park---just relax and enjoy the ride!!!

Truer words never been spoken :)

-Zach

Ok some words on my behalf...

Like KI man, I usually lean into the turns as well...has that racing in a stock car feeling to it! Also, once you are leaned into the turn, your body wants to move less than had you just been the opposite way, your body still keeps being forced to the opposite side of the car. If you start to bob side to side in this position there is a very real chance you will slam into the side of the car causing numerous problems which could result in injury. So I have found that leaning into the turns..."going with the track" has benefits.

Now...on the topic of tensing up or "defensive riding"...tensing up, and defensive riding are never ideal, however...some rollercoasters will require something akin to this "defensive riding". Take any uber rough ride of your choice, and that is one where something like defensive riding could make the ride not so rough and allow you to enjoy your experience. I am not suggesting defensive riding, but something somewhat like it...

The one thing that I see rookie coaster riders do the most, and subsequently complain about is sit in a coaster car like they are in a car ride, or at their desk chair and get beat all to hell on-ride. Now, depending upon how painful you like your ride, or if you are more like the interpreter, who enjoys a good woodie that takes charge (see Georgia Cyclone) you can benefit from something I will simply refer to as "rider anticipation". In any good relationship on earth there has to be give and take, from any marriage of man and wife to coaster and rider. You can choose to sit down and relax like you can do on Millenium Force, or hold your head up, keep your body loose but responsive and anticipate what maneuvers of a ride will come next. This is nearly required on Maverick...if you dont anticipate to which side you will be rolling next, you will plant the side of your face (or neck) in the OTSR.

Having said this, it would be great if one didnt have to anticipate their surroundings on all coasters, but that simply isnt the case if you would like to have a decent ride on many of them. Remember to keep a strong neck, and loose but responsive upperbody when riding coasters, and treat many of them like The Beasts they are and you will have much more comfortable rides. Once again you dont need to tense up or be defensive, but just be proactive during your ride to minimize the pain that some of them put forth.

Just my 2 cents!

Yes, SOB still has some rough spots, however, overall the ride is smoother IMO. Now that it has a good base, wood coaster can start smoothing out those rough spots.

KI man, CF didnt put new wood on The Beast, KI's wood coaster division has been doing that since it opened. Its called off season maintenance,

I agree that SOB is a bit smoother, but the rough spots I believe or not from needed to re track those section of the ride. The roughest parts are the bottom of the rose bowl, but those were always the roughest part of the ride. I think it has to do with the speed and the angle you take that section of the ride.