Man had a heart attack while in line for Firehawk.

pkifreakhogg

Hey i was in line for Firehawk today and right before we loaded up to get on the red train a man collapsed and was takin out of the yellow train that he had just gotten into and was taking to the ground and givin cpr imediately. They did cpr for about 5-7 minutes and after the ambulance came and put him on a stretcher he had a flatline. Was wondering if anyone knew the status of the gentelmen. I give King's Island staff and medics an A+ for the quick work and they were on top of the situation immediately. Great job guys. I just hope he made it.

It appeared the man either had a heart attack or a seizure.

The individual who may have saved his life, if he survived, would have been a nurse/emt type individual who was actually on the yellow train at the same time as the guy. She was behind the row we were in. Our row was directly behind the row which the gentleman was in.

He seemed fine on the platform, just standing there right before loading. He was wearing a red hat, which he took off right before boarding, and then started to strap in. As my family and I started to get strapped in, the individual next to him, started yelling for help(they appeared to not be related, and the gentleman looked as if he was riding by himself). The nurse/emt rushed up, after getting her restraints off, and immediately looked at the guy. She was the one who started cpr, and worked on the guy before other KI individuals were able to.

With there being no AED units on site, they waited until the paramedics got there, who used the shock unit on him. I have no idea if the gentleman made it, as he was looking blue even before the paramedics arrived, as he started to look blue before we were barely out of our seats. My 10 and 12 year old daughters were a bit taken back, and we attempted to talk about other things, as things progressed. At that time, the gentleman's wife came running onto the loading platform, and they let her in with her daughter, by opening the gate. We assisted his son over the closed gate, so his family could be together. His wife was obviously visibly shaken, but kept her cool around her kids, by telling them to stay with her, and not watch what was happening. Quite the experience.

Thats horrible. I was just there a couple days ago, and can't imagine that happening while getting strapped into the ride.

I will say, not that its bad enough to cause a heart attack, that I think that Firehawk's line is the most "stressful" queue to be in. I think that, especially if you haven't ridden it before, you can see too much of the ride, and for me at least, you start to build it up alot in your head. I really don't care for how they corrall you, and only let a certain number to the loading station. Its a mental thing. For me, when I'm in the station, I'm focused more on getting on the ride, than just staring at the ride.

Interestingly, the same nurse/emt also assisted somebody in the wait line as well. A girl appeared to have fainted and/or gotten light headed, right when the line is at the last turn before the attendant starts to send you down one of the two paths. She was laying on the ground in the corner, with her boyfriend/husband kneeling next to her. The nurse/emt individual got out of line and walked up to assist her. She got a candy bar to her, and then the ride attendant made a few trips to see her. I must admit that it was several minutes before another KI employee showed up to see how she was doing. A few minutes later, somebody asked for a glass of water from the ride attendant, which then led to a run on people waiting in line, asking the guy for glasses of water.

Between the gentleman in the station, the lady in the line and the run on water, it was definitely a unique experience.

Ya i forgot all about the girl in the line. She was just about 20 people or so in front of us. I think that she just got a little light headed or something. It was kinda hot out also. I really hope the guy is ok. He wasn't looking very good at all. He was very blue while in the station and the emt kinda had a hard time getting the bed into him to put him on. They had to lift the bed up over the yellow train to get in over to him but they still did a hell of a job IMO. Hats of to all.

Oh, that poor man. I hope he is okay. I mean I hope he is able to pull through. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

When I was in line for that ride it was very hot and they were only running one train, so it was a long wait. The heat can be very exhausting, but I didn't happen to see what day this occured on.

Hope he pulls through!

People passing out? You'll have that. In my experiences at the park, I've seen it a lot. Thank God mostly it's just dehydration. I absolutely hate the fact that they sell Full Throttle at KI. It’s one of the worst things you can put in your body when it’s hot out. I really think all of the carbonated drinks have a lot to do with the problem mentioned above. I’m an avid Diet Coke drinker, but I’m always drinking Poweraide at KI because realistically, carbonated drinks just make you more thirsty in the end.

Now, they guy who had the heart attack… that’s scary. He was VERY fortunate that someone had the knowledge/audacity/courage/kind heartedness to do CPR. KI’s EMTs are great, but they certainly can’t be everywhere all the time. These first few minutes are absolutely critical for survival. Since he got attention immediately, his chances of surviving a heart attack are improved by a large multiplier.

Your lesson for the day is to take the next opportunity to get CPR certified. There’s a good chance that you will never need to use what you learn, but in an instance like this, it’s worth gambling an hour or two of your time for the chance to save a man’s life.

I hope that guy is okay. If anyone has updated news, please keep us posted.

That said, I love Firehawk, but I don't like the design of the queue line for it, as others have stated. I was there on June 17 and it was a hot day. A girl in line collapsed twice from heat exhaustion while in line. A few improvements KI could make to the line are 1) install mist makers to cool off the crowd in line; 2) add more shade trees where space permits; and 3) adjust the awnings to block more sunlight. The way they're angled now, they let entirely too much sunlight through. I certianly hope KI realizes they need to do whatever they can to make the crowds happy and safe.

I still don't understand why the entire que isn't covered. Really, what would be the downside of having the entire line under cover? Every time I'm there at least one person passes out in that line. I'm not blaming just the sun. I know people don't eat or drink and whatnot, but the sun has a huge influence on someone with an empty stomach. There really isn't a reason for the line to not to be completely shaded. Yes it is the patron's responsibility to eat and drink but still the park should have a backup in place for all the people who don't.

Yes, I agree. The shading for the Firehawk line is a little on the skimpy side. Especially when compared to rides like Delirium and Italian Job, which have their entire queue houses covered with large awnings.

On the subject of heart attacks. I know a lot of schools and business (including my co-op employer) have installed AEDs (automated external defibulator). At KI, the first aid station is across from the exit of Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle. Inherently, response time of the first aid carts could be several minutes for rides like Firehawk. Does Kings Island have any AEDs? For that matter, do other amusement parks/ park operators have AED on site? It seems they would be a valuable life saving tool to have at an amusement park.

I've seen plenty of those AEDs hanging around before. It seems almost stupid not to have them at an amusement park. I think it would be a good idea to have at least one at each ride's station.

I feel very sorry for the man. I certainly hope that he is alright. And I am sure that the park is relieved that this did not happen while the ride was in operation.

Granted, these units are likely not cheap. But if they were to save one life, they would more than pay off for themselves. And secondly, they would likely have to train all the operations workers (ride operators) how to use the AEDs. But I think that AEDs, at least at the major attractions could be a valuable tool to help save lives if a critical situation arises. Help could begin as soon as the incident is reported, instead of waiting for first aid to respond, after precious seconds and minutes have lapsed.

I think the queues (or lack thereof) must be a quick way that parks found to save money when installing a ride. Look at the rides that were installed, say, pre-Paramount. Built almost entirely of wood, interesting, completely covered, and not giving an entire view of the ride. I know KI isn't the only park that does this, but it is a shame.

And on the subject of soft drinks, as Ryan mentioned, most parks aren't too friendly when it comes to diet drinks. For the most part, it's all just diet cola, with the caffeine. No Diet Sprite or Sierra Mist Free to be found. One exception that I know of is Holiday World, which dispenses Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi. Still carbonated, but caffeine is still something you should reduce or avoid on a hot day. (which is great, on top of the fact that soda there is free with admission)

Granted, these units are likely not cheap. But if they were to save one life, they would more than pay off for themselves. And secondly, they would likely have to train all the operations workers (ride operators) how to use the AEDs. But I think that AEDs, at least at the major attractions could be a valuable tool to help save lives if a critical situation arises. Help could begin as soon as the incident is reported, instead of waiting for first aid to respond, after precious seconds and minutes have lapsed.

While I see your point about having these at every ride incase another incident like this happens. What many of you don't realize is that no employee can perform any kind of first aid on a guest unless they have been trined to do so by the park. I am not sure if this is still the case or not, but it was under Paramount. I am sure a current employee can let us know if this is still the policy. If someone collapsed in a station, an employee could not perform CPR on a guest, even if they were certified through a babysitting class, high school, etc, unless they were certified by the park. Which means if someone had collapsed, like this person did, they would not be able to do anything except call for help. Basically they just have to stand back and watch and hope that there is a doctor or nurse in line like there was in this case.

I know this sounds like a stupid idea to most people. But we are in a day where people sue others over the stupidest of circumstances. All it takes is some 16 or 17 year old to perform CPR incorrectly on someone a maybe break a few ribs and you have a lawsuit. Nevermind that the same kid might have just saved their life by performing CPR, they are going to go after the park.

I would be interested in finding out what happened to the individual, as well as what happened to him. While it could very well have been a heart attack, as I am unaware of what the symptoms are, he did appear to rise up from his seat as his head protruded up. The individual next to him was adament in the guy needing immediate attention. Not to be crass here, but he did start to turn blue fairly quickly. What my daughters have said they will remember, is different than myself. I suppose that could be due to being a parent. I will always remember the actions of his wife and kids, while my daughters definitely remember the man and those actions.

Another observation my wife and I made, were what appeared to be visibly shaken employees. Obviously we all take things differently and this was on different. It appeared that one or more left shortly after(quite possibly due to be shaken up as well as being witnesses). However, there were a few that remained, that not only initially were shaken, but also after the event transpired. I have no idea if there is an assessment policy in place, to be able to assess each employee after being involved with such an event.

Interestingly, my 2 daughters stayed in the station with my wife and myself, and wanted to ride the next train available, which was actually shortly after the event happened. We offered them the choice to leave or stay in the station, and they both chose to stay, and see how long before the next train. I must confess that our family has seen quite a bit leading up to that day, as our youngest daughter, age 10 and one of the 2 daughters mentioned, was diagnosed with leukemia 2 1/2 years ago.

While I see your point about having these at every ride incase another incident like this happens. What many of you don't realize is that no employee can perform any kind of first aid on a guest unless they have been trined to do so by the park. I am not sure if this is still the case or not, but it was under Paramount. I am sure a current employee can let us know if this is still the policy. If someone collapsed in a station, an employee could not perform CPR on a guest, even if they were certified through a babysitting class, high school, etc, unless they were certified by the park. Which means if someone had collapsed, like this person did, they would not be able to do anything except call for help. Basically they just have to stand back and watch and hope that there is a doctor or nurse in line like there was in this case.

I know this sounds like a stupid idea to most people. But we are in a day where people sue others over the stupidest of circumstances. All it takes is some 16 or 17 year old to perform CPR incorrectly on someone a maybe break a few ribs and you have a lawsuit. Nevermind that the same kid might have just saved their life by performing CPR, they are going to go after the park.

There are good samaritan laws that protect in that situation.

Interestingly enough, there is more of an issue if someone starts CPR and stops than if they try it.

And on the subject of soft drinks, as Ryan mentioned, most parks aren't too friendly when it comes to diet drinks. For the most part, it's all just diet cola, with the caffeine. No Diet Sprite or Sierra Mist Free to be found. One exception that I know of is Holiday World, which dispenses Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi. Still carbonated, but caffeine is still something you should reduce or avoid on a hot day. (which is great, on top of the fact that soda there is free with admission)

they also have gatorade and water I love how Ki and other parks have free waters get them all the time dont want to pay 3 or 4 dollars for a gatorade pop etc. Does anyone know if youcan bring water pop or whatever in the park or do you have to sneak it. <_<

Guest kwindshawne
I would be interested in finding out what happened to the individual, as well as what happened to him. While it could very well have been a heart attack, as I am unaware of what the symptoms are, he did appear to rise up from his seat as his head protruded up. The individual next to him was adament in the guy needing immediate attention. Not to be crass here, but he did start to turn blue fairly quickly. What my daughters have said they will remember, is different than myself. I suppose that could be due to being a parent. I will always remember the actions of his wife and kids, while my daughters definitely remember the man and those actions.

Another observation my wife and I made, were what appeared to be visibly shaken employees. Obviously we all take things differently and this was on different. It appeared that one or more left shortly after(quite possibly due to be shaken up as well as being witnesses). However, there were a few that remained, that not only initially were shaken, but also after the event transpired. I have no idea if there is an assessment policy in place, to be able to assess each employee after being involved with such an event.

Interestingly, my 2 daughters stayed in the station with my wife and myself, and wanted to ride the next train available, which was actually shortly after the event happened. We offered them the choice to leave or stay in the station, and they both chose to stay, and see how long before the next train. I must confess that our family has seen quite a bit leading up to that day, as our youngest daughter, age 10 and one of the 2 daughters mentioned, was diagnosed with leukemia 2 1/2 years ago.

I hope she is ok as well :)

Lord, I bet that was a traumatic experience. Hope the guy is alright. On top of that; since this is a CF park now, KI should have some misters in line. Why not?

Well, since Firehawk was installed during the offseason last year, and since KI was under CF management then, they should have put misters in the line along with more/better awnings.

I definitely do NOT want to sound or be mean about this, and this is just an estimate, but don't you think that, after the almost 20th time a guest has fainted while waiting in line for Firehawk, management would be smart enough to install misters and fans in that line? And that one fan that was placed in the line a while back did NOT help either (there was a simple electric fan placed on the outskirts of the line by FOF that did nothing to ease the summer heat).

EDIT: I'm sorry, I forgot to put this in there, but I hope the man, along with your daughter, will be alright.

You're 100% correct, however have you seen the newer versions of those things? It has a talking voice prompt which tells you EVERYTHING you need to do. It even detects heart rates, so if the person is reactivated, it'll turn itself off. You litterally just have to put the prods on were the voice prompt tells you to put them and let the machine go to town. Training literally takes about 30 seconds. All you need to know is how to turn it on and how to identify the beeping noise it makes when it needs a new battery. Of course, I'd figure Cedar Fair would want people to practice on dummies, but that's not asking a lot. Maybe make ride sups have the training.

This is why they don't have them at every ride: what if someone DIDN'T use it? It would be a great way to sue CF if a person had a heart attack and "no one tried to help him/her and they had the means to help". In a shocking situation, it's hard to think of what to do, so having a device like that hidden somewhere doesn't always come to mind. For the hockey team I worked for last year, we had one in the locker room and the trainer would remind everyone where it is every couple of weeks or so.

Inherently, response time of the first aid carts could be several minutes for rides like Firehawk.

Yeah, it took give or take 10 minutes for them to get to me, yet again I didn't have anything major like this at all. I hope they both are okay. I hope there isn't any more problems, especially tomorrow because it is suppose to be hot out!