Restraints on coasters for large individuals

cyurock

We are planning a trip to KI on Fri and was wondering about restraints for the coasters and large people, ex The Beast, italian job and Son of Beast. we were there last year and had trouble with The Racers restraints and did not attempt the others but was wondering if anyone else had similar problems.

Well, on July 3rd, we had a member in our group who is 6'6" and probably 280-300lbs.

He fit on...

Racer

Beast (I think)

Flight of Fear (Back seat is supposidly larger, which he sat in and fit)

Face Off

Vortex

Italian Job Stunt Track

Firehawk (with only one click, but still fit)

He couldn't get on

Top Gun (due to leg room)

Delirium

Now, proportions may be a problem when it comes to getting on rides however.

Wouldn't your waste size be a better measurement? Everyone is different, and so is weight. Sometimes it's more in the face or upper body, which honestly wouldn't effect your ability to ride coasters. Your waste is where the lap bar is, which would be the preventing factor on coasters.

Well, on July 3rd, we had a member in our group who is 6'6" and probably 280-300lbs.

He fit on...

Racer

Beast (I think)

Flight of Fear (Back seat is supposidly larger, which he sat in and fit)

Face Off

Vortex

Italian Job Stunt Track

Firehawk (with only one click, but still fit)

He couldn't get on

Delirium

Now, proportions may be a problem when it comes to getting on rides however.

You can easily fit in top gun if you sit in the front of the car. There is a ton more leg room in the front portion of the car then the back due to it's design.

How did he not fit on Delirium?

5' 6" and 280 is a bit more rotund than 6' 6" and 280.

I truly doubt that Flight of Fear will be possible for the 5' 6" and 280. And Racer and Beast will be iffy.

I'm 5'10" 280 and I can fit on FoF. It takes some pressure to get the buckle to click, but it can be done.

5'10", 320 lbs and I can fit on Racer, Beast, SOB, Vortex, and Top Gun without too much trouble. I find that if I fasten the seat belt before I sit down on Beast and Racer, and pull the lap bar down under my beer belly as I am siting down, I am much more comfortable than sitting down and trying to stuff my gut onder the bar! :P

welcome to the minority! lol, we can get a lot of people in, and our weight requirement I believe is 300 lbs. but that is rated at a 5'9" individual...remember, its all about getting the bar down the two clicks, not how much room there actually is in the car, or if someone who doesnt way much at all can get easily into the car!

6'6" and probably 280-300lbs.

He couldn't get on

Delirium

How did he not fit on Delirium?

I'm gonna make an assumption here and say he was too tall... my hubby is 6'3" and he is ALMOST too tall for it... your head had to hit a certain spot and your feet can't hang past a certain spot.

deb

Guest kwindshawne

Aside from the weight issue, people in general are getting taller as well. I work in medical equipment, and I am starting to see people who are 6'7" and such-and believe me, it is tough getting equipment to fit them without going into custom sizing-which is expensive and takes time to make. It is going to become more common as time goes on, and i think designers may have to start taking that into consideration when building rides. Most people tower over me now-I am only 5'2" and it is very uncommon to see people my size these days-I have 10 year olds who pass me up in height.

Yep. For years and years park rides have been developed to fit a 5' 10," 170 pound male. At one time, that was average. Now it's not...not height wise, not weight wise and not even gender wise.

Besides, restraints SHOULD reasonably accommodate all expected riders, not just fit an average rider well.

Yep. For years and years park rides have been developed to fit a 5' 10," 170 pound male. At one time, that was average. Now it's not...not height wise, not weight wise and not even gender wise.

Besides, restraints SHOULD reasonably accommodate all expected riders, not just fit an average rider well.

I agree. I'm not that tall at 6 foot and I realize that Vortex was opened before I was born but it's still a tight fit leg room wise for me (in the second row of the cars) not to mention my brother and friend who are both around 6'4-6'5 and have to sit in the front car. I feel really bad for the people that are larger and can't ride because they don't fit when they pay just as much money as everyone else to get in.

My hubby has a hard time riding any rides with a floor and an OTSR.. On Vortex he had beet red shoulders from rubbing, on F/O he has small red lines from hitting the restraints, he can't comfortably ride Top Gun unless he's in the front of the car- he has to slouch a bit to get the OTSR to go OVER his shoulders, and he's got other "male" probs on Tomb Raider... I'll assume the same prob on Delirium, as the restraints and seats are near identical to TR (when I got off it I was too ****ed to ask how his ride was).

It would make since that while we evolve, the rides and restraints evolve.. the average person is no longer stick thin and 2 feet tall. Hopefully they will catch up to us before we start protesting... (I can see a future with large people and toddler sized thrill rides....)

deb

Large as in 5 foot 6 and in the 280 pound range

I was about that size myself when I went two years ago and a lot of the rides I rode were at the barely fitting point. top gun, Vortex and italian job were no problem, tomb raider just fit and Flight of Fear, racer and beast were the worst. I had one and sometimes two ride operators pushing on the lap bars to get them into the right position.

Top gun and Vortex have seat belts hooked to the bottom of the OTSR now but you still shouldn't have any problems.

Cory, is that a standard rule? If you let us get you in, we'll get you in? I went to KI once and FOF crew was acting like it was my responsibility to get in there. I'm 6'5" so it was a tight fit, and I didn't get to ride because I got no assistance from the crew. The issue was my knees fitting under the restraint.

Cory, is that a standard rule? If you let us get you in, we'll get you in? I went to KI once and FOF crew was acting like it was my responsibility to get in there. I'm 6'5" so it was a tight fit, and I didn't get to ride because I got no assistance from the crew. The issue was my knees fitting under the restraint.

Well, obviously if you deff are over the requirements than there isnt much we can do because it wouldn't be safe. However, if you can get in the car and are within the requirements just do not have proportions that agree with the system, than we can and will try our best to help you to ride. now if your legs wouldnt bend in any way to get under the restraint than that is obviously a restriction by the restraint and not much we can do with that.

Now, as I said, if you agree to let us get you in, than we can get you in as long as it is safe! People will get on IJ and we will have trouble getting the restraint to go all the way down so that we can see the little yellow tape. When we get close we ask their permission to go further down on the restraint, if they agree then we will try to get the restraint into the proper riding position as much as we can, without sacrificing the safety of said guest. Many guests will say, no I can't go any further you'll have to let me off thank you for trying, and others will say, keep going I want to ride! We try to make sure that everyone who comes to the park is able to safely enjoy every ride, on IJ that includes helping guests with a tricky restraint system.

To answer your question, I am not totally sure if it is the standard rule, but I do know that on IJ, and Beast especially, we deffinately try to give you the experience and guest service that you deserve. I have seen instances especially on those two rides! From a guest courtesy standpoint, it should be the standard rule, and most crews WILL give you that courtesy, as we do at IJ!