How was your first experience on the "New" Son of Beast?

Delirium33

I wanted to create this poll to get a general idea of how the "new" Son of Beast is being accepted (at least it's first impressions). Please post any other comments that you might have on the ride. Thanks for your input!

Note: I haven't been able to ride SoB since it has re-opened. When I have, I will vote as well.

I rode the ride yesterday evening. I normally love coasters, even if they are a touch on the rough side. But I was NOT impressed with the "new" Son of Beast. It still rattles you around, even if some of the jackhammering of the trains is gone. I walked off the ride with a slight headache, and no big urge to ride the ride the rest of the season! This is about the only ride I can say I got off and had no desire to ride it again the rest of the year.

I though SOB was much improved due to the new trains. The ride is smoother and its actually something I'll probably want to ride evertime I go now. Before the new trains I couldn't stand it. It was far to rough and I always came off with sore knees and thighs mostly due to trying to cram my 6'4" 200lb body into those tiny cars.

I will say that the removal of the loop makes the ride feel incomplete in some ways. It just feels like it is lacking something. I think that if they built tunnels this problem would be easily solved though. I'd especially like a tunnel at the bottom of the first drop and at where the loop used to be.

I rode for the first time this year (actually twice) on Sunday. The Gerstlauer trains seriously make a difference! No more annoying raised floor, and it was not bad on the side either. No headrests either... hopefully Beast and Racer go the same way, whether by modifying the existing trains, getting new PTCs, or something else! I don't really get the need for headrests, as many large, fast, and tall coasters function well without them, especially throughout Cedar Fair's parks. The big double helix was intense, but not painful. And one of the biggest improvements, the train does not drag along on the final turns! I didn't have any real noticeable airtime in the back but so far, a much better ride.

Overall: not impressed. I think SOB will fail at being a success.

New trains are a plus! This makes it much more comfortable to ride. I can now fit and move around a little instead of being pinned. I think being able to move around a little allows you to absorb some of the jolts. I like the lap bar too compared to the ones on Beast and Racer.

SOB is still about as rough as it was before. You would think they would have worked that out, especially where the accident occurred in the first helix. The first part of the ride is very very rough still especially in the helix after the first drop.

The second part after where the loop was is surprisingly pretty smooth. I was a bit surprised by this. Now if they could get the rest of sonny to ride like this.

The coaster is still new though somewhat with new cars. Like all wooden coasters it will only get rougher as time goes by. I think SOB will see the end of its day soon at this rate. It has already lost its reputation after everything it has been through and I would have thought it would be much better than this.

It seems like it was a cheap easy fix for Cedar Fair. Good try, but I don't think it will cut it for SOB and there are no more chances left for SOB.

I never rode it before the accident last year. I won't ride a ride that goes upside down that doesn't have otsr. I rode it on 7-7 in the very back of the blue train. It was horrible. I thought it got worse after the new section of track and the final helix. It shook the crap out of me. My neck was still sore the next day. Tear it down and put in something better from B&M

YAY I finally rode it today! It was pouring rain when we got there so because of the new policy and maintenance we waited in front of SOB for almost 3 hours after the park opened (First in line). And when it finally opened we were on the first train of the day in the very back seat. Very awesome ride, I forgot how good the first drop was and the new loop-less track provides good airtime so yeah I liked it!

I hate how people say, "SOB is still rough and jerky, i got a headache and my neck was hurting." If you don't like jerky rides than don't ride a wooden roller coaster, thats how they are soposed to be!

Anyways, i haven't rode SOB since July 06' and i can't wait to ride my favorite wooden roller coaster again!

=]

My (detailed) "Reborn" Son of Beast Report

I Finally got to ride Sonny today, after months of anticipation. Let me start off by saying that I had relatively high expectations because of the new trains, and because a friend told me that he thought it was much smoother.

My expectations were met. By the end of the day, I rode Sonny 3 times. First off, the first hill IMO is much better now with the new trains, because without headrests you can really see how gigantic the drop really is.

Regardless of what other reports have said, on ALL THREE of my rides, 90% of the ride was smoother than The Racer, maybe even The Beast. There is still some major jackhammering at both bottoms of the rose bowl. On one of my rides, those few seconds of jackhammering gave me instant (but temporary) chest pains. Besides that, the rest of the ride after the rose bowl IMO, as well as my friend's, is 200% better than before. The ex-loop area and second helix were fast and very enjoyably smooth. Smoother than The Beast's helix (which I rode right after Sonny). IMHO, The second part of the ride is the smoothest stretch of wooden roller coaster in the park. There is a little pop of airtime where the loop used to be, but I think they could of done better with at least a bigger bunny hill, if not a tunnel. The ride does seem to be missing something without that loop.

My first ride was the second row of the third car of the Blue train. My second ride was the first row of the second car in the red, and my last ride (I think) was in the last row of the second car of red. All three ride were consistently great, but the last ride did give me those little chest pains that went away in 10 minutes. Our rides were not consecutive, but spread out throughout the day, the last being at night. My friend who I rode with every time agreed about the smoothness, but my dad rode it with us in the blue train and said that his ride was better than the old ride, but still pretty rough- he complained of a slight headache from the rose bowl.

I will also add that once a train pulled into a station with many people grinning ear to ear, but then a couple people were holding their head in pain two rows back. So maybe we just got lucky with our seat selection, I don't know. Sonny used to be one of my favorite coasters in the park, except when it gave me occasional painful rides. Now it definitely is one of my top 4 favorite rides in the park.

One more thing to add: Son of Beast's line throughout the day was longer than any other ride. It was about a 15-30 minute wait when most of the other rides at the park were about 5-10. (Firehawk was 30-45 when we rode it). When we arrived in the afternoon, Sonny was closed, testing (after a thunderstorm, I guess) and we got in a line that was from the ride's entrance, all the way to nearly to the racetrack entrance. The crew was great, and every time they asked the riders how their ride was, everyone screamed (out of excitement and satisfaction, not pain). Everyone in line was excited, and many people were smiling as they got off. IMO, it had the atmosphere of a new ride, which I thought was great.

My point is, from what I could tell, the new, and yes improved Son of Beast seemed to be pretty widely excepted from what I saw today.

If you're first experience on the new Sonny was rough, give him another try. If you thought the old Sonny was rough, DEFINATELY give him another try.

Overall roughness: 3/5, just because of the rose bowl. Not including the rose bowl would be 4/5. Overall satisfaction: 4.5/5

Post wasn't added? Got deleted? Meh. Anyway....

Rode it, loved it. Pretty much the same as it was before. Got a bit of a sinking feeling when the train went through the area the loop used to be. Trains are alot more comfortable, ride's still fast, a bit smoother.

I don't understand when people say it's so rough blablabla. The Beast is rougher. I ride SoB and The Beast back to back every time I go...religiously. I know this to be fact. I honestly think people simply don't realize how much The Beast is jerking them around since they hold it so dear. The Racer is more rough than SoB and in fact, The Beast and The Racer are the ONLY rides there I walk away with bruises from.

Also, I wonder how many people when they ride SoB and are complaining about injury are stupidly raising there arms. Proper posture, which INCLUDES holding on is key to an enjoyable and pain free ride.

All woodies are rough, always have been, always will be. It's the nature of them and you can't change it. And let's be honest, it's a hyper woody; how smooth do you think it's going to be? :rolleyes:

I'm only going to say this one time in this thread. Not ALL woodies are rough. In fact, the great majority are not. Son of Beast is improved, yes. And the Rose Bowl is still rough. For some it will be unacceptably so, for others uncomfortably so, for still others, it will be fun. Only you can decide.

And all who ride are entitled to their opinions. Some day there will be a ride you detest that others love. It happens. Everyone doesn't have to like the same thing. But all rides in the park must deliver at least an acceptable and safe ride experience. If Cedar Fair, Kings Island, the State of Ohio and the insurance company involved didn't think Son of Beast did that, it would not be open.

it was amazing! i had almost forgot how great of a ride it really was! i was on the same first train of the day yesterday as FOFirehawkFan, but in the car in front of the last that he was on. it was a great ride, although the part where the loop was is very obviously redone, as in you can tell there was something there before, if you didnt know there was a loop there originally.

Also, I wonder how many people when they ride SoB and are complaining about injury are stupidly raising there arms. Proper posture, which INCLUDES holding on is key to an enjoyable and pain free ride.

I raised my arms on all 3 of my SOB rides this year. I never complained that the new SOB was unbearable rough. I think some people think SOB will or is suppose to be glass smooth.

I raised my arms on all 3 of my SOB rides this year. I never complained that the new SOB was unbearable rough. I think some people think SOB will or is suppose to be glass smooth.

Well, we should see if they will let you do a marathon on it. I bet you can't get more than 30 rides before you are passing blood in your urine. :o

How is raising your arms in the dictionary of improper posture. I rode with the supposed proper posture by holding on and i did not have so much of an enjoyable ride and it wasnt anywhere close to a pain free ride but if i would've had my hands up i may have had a better ride experience on SoB.

• 3 weeks later...

I've ridden it in both the front and the back seats. The back was very rough, but I LOVED it that way. It was very shaky but I wasn't hitting any part of the seat. That is what a good wooden coaster is supposed to be like. Like someone is shaking you by your shoulders, but not beating you against a wall. Better than The Beast. Well, at day, anyways.

Ok I had been at the park on the 4th went on SOB and was in the second to last car on the blue train and it was terrible and was worse than the old SOB with the other trains. I'm going agian to the park for P&G day on the 15-16 next month where should I sit or does it really matter what train it is or what section to sit in? :huh:

Well, I've got to say, I like it more now.

It's good to see some smiling faces when the train rolls back into the station, verses the old silence, minus the groaning from pain.

Really, when I rode it on KIC day, the only time I've ridden it since the loop removal, I really enjoyed myself. It was kinda fun to be beat around for the brief period. BUT, I am still young, and I'm sure my opinion of getting beat around on a coaster being fun, will change over time.

SOB will never top my all time favorites list but i always make a point to ride it when i go up there. The only drawback i can find on the new trains is whenever you hit that chain lift the noise is unbearable. I had to cover my ears when our train got to the top because of that awful wrenching it makes. And i think they could have put something better where the loops was than just a straight stretch of track.