Beast Double Helix Tunnel

Firehawk Freak

I'm sorry, but I don't believe any of you. There are saftey clearances on ALL rides and if you could touch the sides of the tunnel, the STATE OF OHIO inspectors would make them take it down or move it.

Just like they made Cedar Point put new concrete under the Magnum becaude it was sinking (another buch of bulls**t).

See a rider come back with her hands all bloody from hitting the side wall of the tunnel. Then tell me it's bull****. Hands up are fine usually. Hands to the side is a problem. There is a reason they have the signs saying to keep your hands inside. It's not just there for decoration.

I know for a fact that your hand can touch the tunnel that covers the helix. Lets just say that I no longer hold my hands up on The Beast anymore. Keep in mind, that it is against Ohio law to disobey any written, or verbalized warning with regards to a ride. If charged, you could face a misdemeanor, per the Ohio Revised Code.

Section 1711.551 of the Revised Code requires that riders must obey all warnings and directions regarding this ride and behave in a manner that will not cause or contribute to injury to themselves or others. Failure to comply is a misdemeanor.

• 6 years later...

If you sit on the right side of the train, you can ride with your arms and hands extended straight up above your head going through the tunnel, and have plenty of clearance.

If you sit on the left side of the train, you can not do that due to the angle of the left sided bank in the first tunnel of the helix.

If you ride The Beast enough, eventually you will see someone smack the tunnel wall.

Last season I seen someone stand and smack their hand on the entrance to the tunnel. Afterward, the guy was in the restroom washing the blood off his hand, and cradling his hand in pain. He was laughing about it like it was a bragging right! I reported it to security, but they failed to do anything about it.

• Like 1

It is a violation of Ohio State Law to put your hands up on The Beast.

Tell the people in promotional photos on the park's website. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/images/rides/beast_slide_2.jpg

It's a violation of Ohio law to disregard written safety instructions, which don't directly address putting hands up. (Putting them over the side of the train is another matter.)

It is a violation of Ohio State Law to put your hands up on The Beast.

Tell the people in promotional photos on the park's website. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/images/rides/beast_slide_2.jpg

[/qoute]

We were told at the Afterburn shoot that show that we Had to hold on to the safety bars on the harness or the footage couldnt be used. This came out of the PR rep at the time.

Ohio's law only mentions written instructions. Is one of the written instructions to follow operators' verbal instructions?

In any case, I think it would come down to one's definition of "inside" the train. The occupant area is generally understood to extend up beyond the top of the seat. Riders and amusement parks recognize putting hands up as a common behavior.

It would be extremely easy to include an instruction either to keep arms down or to hold on at all times. The Beast's written and verbal instructions include neither.

Malem: No, Ohio law does not require ONLY adherence to written warnings and directions. This is a common misunderstanding. That's (1). See (2):

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1711.551

There is no legal advice intended for a specific situation or client contained herein. The author is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, the District of Columbia or any United State. You should seek the services of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. Certain situations vary from state to state, and rules are different outside the United States of America.

• Like 1

My cousin was lucky, there was no blood or damage, just a gasp of surprise that he actually brushed the tunnel. I was seated next to him.

It must have been just his fingertips that hit. When we pulled into the station, he showed his hand, but there was no blood, just redness.

He's not the type to tempt fate, he's really easy going and not a show-off.

He's just very tall.

We make sure I'm in the short seat now when we ride The Beast together, just in case.

• Like 2

While on the subject, does anyone on KIC have pictures of inside of the actual helix structure or directly under them?

One of those few things I've never been able to go look at directly

I believe that I have some pictures like that somewhere, I'll look, and If I find them I will be sure to post! :)