Drop Zone at Coney Mall.

DropZone99

Yes, they were in a sign there in 1996, that said "Watch for a new ride dropping in, in 1997". It would have have been a giant drop though if we would have got in then. For some reason they decided to wait on Drop Zone until 1999, and expanded the waterpark in 1997.

• Like 1

The Intamin Drop ride initially slated for an install at KI in 1997 went to Canada's Wonderland instead. KI expanded the waterpark instead in order to rival CP's expansion of their waterpark that very same year.

The only Intamin Flight trainers that ever existed and their status are as follows:

Kings Island - Destroyed

Kings Dominion - In storage

Great America (CA) - Destroyed

Knott's Berry Farm - Destroyed

Flamingoland - Removed

Seibuen Yuenchi - Still operating

Nagashima Spaland - Still operating

• Like 1

I never got to ride it. I didn't know that Kings Dominon had one too. I just wondered it they sold it to someone or if it was just scrapped. Was there a dome over your head or was it opened. The pics I found of sky pilot looks like it was enclosed.

If I recall properly, KD's was enclosed, KI's was not. KI's was the first, I believe, and had windshields on it, but never had the closable tops. In later years KD's might have had the tops removed to expidite the load process.

Here's a link to KD's:

http://www.amusementpics.com/PKD%20History/Scan10003b.jpg

Here's a link to the video of KI's on this site:

http://www.KICentral.com/history/videos/flightcom.php

BTW, KI's was removed in 1995.

KD's is still on property. You can still see it's pieces in the graveyard behind Anaconda.

The rides were ho-hum. There wasn't much of a thrill, turning over was okay, but the rollover was very slow and blood rushed to your head.

If I recall properly, KD's was enclosed, KI's was not. KI's was the first, I believe, and had windshields on it, but never had the closable tops. In later years KD's might have had the tops removed to expidite the load process.

Here's a link to KD's:

http://www.amusementpics.com/PKD%20History/Scan10003b.jpg

Here's a link to the video of KI's on this site:

http://www.KICentral.com/history/videos/flightcom.php

BTW, KI's was removed in 1995.

KD's is still on property. You can still see it's pieces in the graveyard behind Anaconda.

The rides were ho-hum. There wasn't much of a thrill, turning over was okay, but the rollover was very slow and blood rushed to your head.

You wouldn't know where to see pics of spy pilot rotting would you. I know that on here there are pics of cobra.

• Like 1

Best I could do in a pinch.

http://www.coaster-net.com/pics/pkd/anacondapkd_daygecko.jpg

Look at the upper left area on the pic above the lift hill. There's a wooded area past what used to be the old Wild Animal Safari Monerail route that has always been an active storage/graveyard for forthcoming, or removed rides. Although this pic does not do it justice, there's former waterslide pieces, old antique cars and various other ride pieces back there.

Shaggy

• 13 years later...
On 7/11/2007 at 11:32 AM, Shaggy said:

The Intamin Drop ride initially slated for an install at KI in 1997 went to Canada's Wonderland instead. KI expanded the waterpark instead in order to rival CP's expansion of their waterpark that very same year.

The only Intamin Flight trainers that ever existed and their status are as follows:

Kings Island - Destroyed

Kings Dominion - In storage

Great America (CA) - Destroyed

Knott's Berry Farm - Destroyed

Flamingoland - Removed

Seibuen Yuenchi - Still operating

Nagashima Spaland - Still operating

I wonder what this list would look like today

On 9/11/2020 at 12:52 PM, Sixflags82 said:

I wonder what this list would look like today

I've always been interested in the Intamin Flight Trainers and have compiled a list of all of them. As far as I know, there are no remaining Flight Trainers anywhere in the world.

• Kings Dominion (1989 to 1998) - Removed
  • California's Great America (1989 to 1999) - Removed
  • Knott's Berry Farm (1990 to 1997) - Relocated to Seibuen Yuenchi in Japan
  • Kings Island (1990 to 1995) - Relocated to Flamingoland
  • Rye Playland (1991 to 1991) - Removed
  • Flamingo Land (1996 to 2004) - Relocated from Kings Island. Removed.
  • Seibuen Yuenchi (>=1997 to Unknown) - Relocated from Knott's Berry Farm. Removed.
  • Nagashima Spa Land (1990 to <=2003) - Removed

I haven't personally seen anything regarding one at Nagashima Spa Land, but it's always hard to find older information on international parks and I wouldn't be surprised if they had one (though they don't appear to anymore). I'd love to learn more if anyone knows anything about that one.

Edit - Corrected claim that the one from Seibuen Yuenchi came from Knott's Berry Farm. For a thorough list of the rides, locations, and dates, check out - https://coasterpedia.net/wiki/Flight_Trainer_(product)

Edited by TombraiderTy
Corrected Seibuen Yuenchi claim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TombraiderTy said:

I haven't personally seen anything regarding one at Nagashima Spa Land, but it's always hard to find older information on international parks and I wouldn't be surprised if they had one (though they don't appear to anymore). I'd love to learn more if anyone knows anything about that one.

I was at Nagashima Spa Land last year and I am pretty confident they do not have one.  So I started doing some searches, and I found a map from 2007 on Theme Park Review.  I cannot find it on the map and according to that previous post from 2007 it should have been installed and operating.

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kenban said:

I was at Nagashima Spa Land last year and I am pretty confident they do not have one.  So I started doing some searches, and I found a map from 2007 on Theme Park Review.  I cannot find it on the map and according to that previous post from 2007 it should have been installed and operating.

After some further sleuthing, it looks like Nagashima Spa Land added one, called Sky Trainer, in 1990. I cannot find any information on its closure, but it sounds like it was for sure gone by 2007 (though I'd assume it was removed in the late 1990s when most of them were). Here's an old commercial of the ride:

I edited my previous post to include this one in the list.

Edit - After some further sleuthing, it looks like the ride was removed for the addition of the park's Giant Frisbee in 2004 (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ナガシマスパーランド#かつて存在したアトラクション)

• Like 3