Cobra

thomas

I guess we'll figure out on 8/4/7.

=]

What's 8/4/7? Did I miss something?

On 8/4/7, the day KIC visits KI, we will get to tour FoF's bowl, which is where the KC trains have been stored in the past. If they are not there, then it could mean that they have scrapped the ride.

I guess we'll figure out on 8/4/7.

=]

What's 8/4/7? Did I miss something?

On 8/4/7, the day KIC visits KI, we will get to tour FoF's bowl, which is where the KC trains have been stored in the past. If they are not there, then it could mean that they have scrapped the ride.

I rode FoF with the lights on a few weeks ago and did not see any remnants of KC in there. I did, however, remember seeing lots of miscellaneous crap in there - things such as shovels, wheelbarrows, and other stuff. I figured that was a good storage spot for "stuff". I do remember many years ago (4 or 5) seeing the trains for KC sitting in there, but they're gone now.

Also, how does one get a tour of behind-the-scenes type places? I would be interested.

Ed.

Most of the time you have to wait until there is an event that is offering a behind the scenes tour.

That is precisely why you need to be there on 8/4/07. SOB tour, Beast tour, and FOF tour, all pack into one!

I wouldn't mind getting some inside info here from Interpreter on it's removal since I believe if you go to Wikipedia or some place like that, the claim for KC's removal was that Togo (the Japanese manufacturer of the ride) went out of business AND (shortly thereafter) KC was also in need of some sophisticated part that KI could no longer get, and so KI was allegedly forced to remove it.

But years later after seeing the Togo stand-up at Carowinds (or where ever) still operate in addition to multiple Togo's in Japan AND Manhattan Express in Vegas, what gives?! Seems to me they still could have found a way to keep it...good thing I rode it when I did in 2001! :)

Well, they removed it because they felt like removing it, based presumably on maintenance issues (cost and downtime) as well as the rides popularity. If the ride is not attracting enough guests to it to justify the maintenance costs for it, then there is no reason the park should continue to maintain the ride. (A fate which I`m afraid will eventually catch up to another ride located in that same area of the park).

As much as it pains people to hear this, steel coaster (and other rides as well) have life expectancies. Even the best maintenance programs can`t keep a ride running for ever. Eventually, the steel will become fatigued to the point where they would essentially have to replace the entire ride. And in turn, as a ride ages, usually its maintenance costs will also in turn go up.

Yes, I miss King Cobra. But, Delirium is an incredibly fun ride. The location that Kings Island chose for it could not have been much better. It sits in a very prominent position at the entrance to the Action Zone, which provides great views of the ride to those who aren`t brave enough to ride it.

Yes, capacity has a lot to do with how long a line for a particular ride is. Take for example Monster and Shake Rattle and Roll on a light to moderately busy day. Shake Rattle and Roll will appear to have no line, while the Monster will have a line. If one were to say that the Monster was the more popular ride based on the line, that is only telling half the story. Shake Rattle and Roll has a higher capacity, because the Monster can only load two of its six arms at any given time.

they removed King Cobra because they felt that Delerium was a better, more attention grabbing ride, simple as that.

They already had the HUSS contract, just needed a place to put it. By removing KC they were able to build a ride that would bring people to the park, and a ride that would make money. To them it was worth it.

they removed King Cobra because they felt that Delerium was a better, more attention grabbing ride, simple as that.

I really don't think that was it.

Sometime ago, a member here posted some great KC construction pics. You can definately see that this was not an ordinary rumor monger. And without going into detail, in his opinion KC was sent to the junkpile due to "lack of upkeep".

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...=9364&st=30

And while there is truth to "life expectancies", there are many steel rides that have been around for 30+ years: Revolution at SFMM- 1976, Corkscrew at CP- 1976, and Cedar Creek Mine Ride at CP- 1969 just as few examples.

Now KC lasted only 18 years. And in the three examples that I chose are two different parks; one with the reputation of not having the greatest focus of maintenance and uptime, and the other a park that has rather terrible weather- especially in the winter.

Sure, it is valuable land. And Delirium looks great there. But for how much land KI has to expand, and for how small of a footprint Delirium has, it is easy to see that there were other reasons than just prime real estate and popularity for the deconstruction of KC.

As both I and others have stated here before (and correctly), King Cobra was the first of its type in North America AND was composed of Japanese steel. Back then, believe it or not, Japanese steel was, by and large, far inferior to that from Germany or the United States. King Cobra was well maintained by the park, but the steel itself got to the point that removal was advisable. There was continual welding on the structure just to keep it operational.

Note that the ride was put up for sale (for what purpose is not totally clear) and did not sell. The later TOGO rides were not built of the same grade steel as was King Cobra, and most continue to operate even today.

As both I and others have stated here before (and correctly), King Cobra was the first of its type in North America AND was composed of Japanese steel.

You bring up an interesting point.

If the steel used was substandard compared to US steel, why would they even try and sell the ride knowing it would not last?

Everyone in the industry would have to know the same information as yourself, and others. If this is to be correct, Paramount had a serious integrity issue.

As both I and others have stated here before (and correctly), King Cobra was the first of its type in North America AND was composed of Japanese steel.

You bring up an interesting point.

If the steel used was substandard compared to US steel, why would they even try and sell the ride knowing it would not last?

Everyone in the industry would have to know the same information as yourself, and others. If this is to be correct, Paramount had a serious integrity issue.

Well Interpreter did say...

Note that the ride was put up for sale (for what purpose is not totally clear)

According to some sources they were trying to sell it as a ride and according to others they were trying to sell it as scrap metal. So Paramount wasn't neccesarily trying to screw anyone over.

Ok, I can see your point.

But why try and sell a ride for scrap metal on a "rides for sale" website.

Some interesting tidbits:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=King+Cobra

Posted September 19, 2002.

Here is the link, though of course the site says that the page can no longer be found.

Date: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:59 pm

Subject: King Cobra For Sale aeilerman

I have found the web-site that is selling the King Cobra from PKI.

here is the link

http://www.italintl.com/coaster/index.htm

and another:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=King+Cobra

I'm sure there are many scrap metal buyers in the Cincy area, unless the metal was that bad they would not even touch it as well.

As both I and others have stated here before (and correctly), King Cobra was the first of its type in North America AND was composed of Japanese steel. Back then, believe it or not, Japanese steel was, by and large, far inferior to that from Germany or the United States. King Cobra was well maintained by the park, but the steel itself got to the point that removal was advisable. There was continual welding on the structure just to keep it operational.

So in a nutshell, while being a great ride, it was also a piece of $hit.

Ed.

When PKI tore down KC, it was one of the saddest things I've seen. KC was my first stand-up coaster, first looping coaster, and one of my favorite rides. The airtime on the camelback after the loop was incredible! I'll never forget the Cobra.