Should Disney Buy Cedar Fair?

The Interpreter

Why travel to Florida when you can stay in Cincinnati and still experiance Disney?

Now of course I have no idea that Disney is thinking but I can guess. Like derek9312 said, it's very unlikely that Disney would

build an animal kingdom type adventure at KI

but it would still be KI with the Disney flair. If people are going to go to WDW, they might stop by to see what that think it Ohio is all about but will still go to Florida because that's where it's at. However, the families from around Ohio, KY, IN, PA, WV that aren't sure if they wanna fork out the big bucks to go down to FL would be more likely come to KI and too see if this is any good and then base their decision to go to FL on that. Therefore by making KI a respectable experience, Disney would hook the families to wanting to go to FL.

That's what I think but of course I'm not Disney.

Uh...for me Florida is not where Disney's AT. That will always be California. Disneyland. The original. Cozy, quaint and wondrous. And with the grand California Adventure beside it. Which I happen to adore.

It may be the original but what you consider cozy and quaint I consider one ride on top of another. I'm not saying that Disneyland is horrible, actually the exact opposite. Right behind WDW, I'd want to be at the Disneyland Resort in CA. That's probably just because I was raised going to WDW for family vacation and we've only recently gone to Disneyland a couple times. I love how the CA Downtown Disney is right there between the parks and the hotels and that does feel quaint but in the actual park, to me, it just feels like one line next to another and people are every where. But that's my opinion and I have to let you have yours too.

Disney would turn Cf into a little adventure lame land with mini coasters just like disneyland or world is!

dude that would suck! Disney Land or world would like tear down Firehawk and make a mickey mouse coaster. I mean every thing in disneyland is for like 5 year olds :angry:

I don't see how being owned by Disney could be seen as a bad thing by anybody.

First off, they have a proven track record of putting money into their parks, whether it be rides, entertainment, restaurants, or just general atmosphere, and maintaining those additions.

They have proven that they can do thrill rides in several instances such as: Test Track, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, Mission Space, Tower of Terror, and California Adventure shows more of a less-themed thrill side of Disney just overall.

QUOTE(Firehawk Freak @ Jul 11 2007, 02:46 PM)

Disney would turn Cf into a little adventure lame land with mini coasters just like disneyland or world is!

dude that would suck! Disney Land or world would like tear down Firehawk and make a mickey mouse coaster. I mean every thing in disneyland is for like 5 year olds

If they paid for the parks they definately wouldn't tear down all the rides and put in Kiddy rides, they would upkeep the rides better than Paramount/CBS did and better than Cedar Fair does. They would end all the problems that Kings Island has with their food, entertainment, and bad upkeeping of theming.

Like many have said I can picture the rides staying there in better condition then they are now and when you'd look around you would be a ble to tell Disney owned the place by how clean it was and how high quality and well upkept everything was. Disney owning the park would be a dream come true but unfortunately it is highly unlikely.

(Just my 2 cents)

I have only been to DisneyWorld (the one in Flordia) once and i will say i liked it...once. The only rides i enjoyed were Spacemountian (although i was spoiled with FOF so i didnt enjoy it as well) Tower of terror, and Aerosmith Rockin rollercoaster. I would rather have KI as KI, not Disney's Kings Island. I first visited (in 97) KI after Paramount/Viacom/CBS took over and I enjoyed it. I think that CF is going to do a great job with KI and i would hate if another company takes over and puts KI on the backburner.

I know that CP is CF's crown jewel, but they are dedicated to KI. I mean we got 2 keep our FOF, they repaired SOB, and we just got Firehawk. 3 major pluses that would not have happened with CBS, and if Disney would have bought it instead of CF, we would not have Firehawk, and SOB would be SOL. FOF would have stayed, but would be called space mountian.

IMO, i think Disney would be worse than Paramount/Viacom/CBS if they took over KI. And thats saying alot since P/V/CBS took out King Cobra, and didnt give a crap with ride placement (see IJST and TR:TR)

There is no place in this world that I love more than Disney World in Orlando, Florida. It is Heaven on Earth. I've also been to Disney parks in California and Japan - and they are pretty awesome, too.

I VERY VERY VERY much wish that Disney would purchase CF - or at least Kings Island. But I VERY VERY VERY much doubt that they will. Disney likes to have attractions that are of superior quality and open all year around. I think it's more likely that Disney would purchase Great Wolf Lodge than Cedar Fair.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

Ahhhh, I tend to think that Disney is more like Hell on Earth.

I certainly hope that Heaven has more natural things and less plastic.

There is no place in this world that I love more than Disney World in Orlando, Florida. It is Heaven on Earth. I've also been to Disney parks in California and Japan - and they are pretty awesome, too.

I VERY VERY VERY much wish that Disney would purchase CF - or at least Kings Island. But I VERY VERY VERY much doubt that they will. Disney likes to have attractions that are of superior quality and open all year around. I think it's more likely that Disney would purchase Great Wolf Lodge than Cedar Fair.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

Ahhhh, I tend to think that Disney is more like Hell on Earth.

I certainly hope that Heaven has more natural things and less plastic.

If Disney has plastic does that mean Cedar Fair has cardboard?

I have only been to DisneyWorld (the one in Flordia) once and i will say i liked it...once. The only rides i enjoyed were Spacemountian (although i was spoiled with FOF so i didnt enjoy it as well) Tower of terror, and Aerosmith Rockin rollercoaster. I would rather have KI as KI, not Disney's Kings Island. I first visited (in 97) KI after Paramount/Viacom/CBS took over and I enjoyed it. I think that CF is going to do a great job with KI and i would hate if another company takes over and puts KI on the backburner.

I know that CP is CF's crown jewel, but they are dedicated to KI. I mean we got 2 keep our FOF, they repaired SOB, and we just got Firehawk. 3 major pluses that would not have happened with CBS, and if Disney would have bought it instead of CF, we would not have Firehawk, and SOB would be SOL. FOF would have stayed, but would be called space mountian.

IMO, i think Disney would be worse than Paramount/Viacom/CBS if they took over KI. And thats saying alot since P/V/CBS took out King Cobra, and didnt give a crap with ride placement (see IJST and TR:TR)

Comparing Space Mountain to FoF is like comparing AE to Rock 'N Roller Coaster... apples to oranges. IMO, Space Mountain or BTMRR is better than AE and Rock N' Roller Coaster is better than FoF. People on here have been complaining about how rough some of the rides are and every roller coaster at Disney is very smooth and well kept.

How can you say that CF is dedicated to KI when they've owned it for little more than a year? And you're talking like if Disney would've bought KI instead of CF but this is talking about if Disney would buy CF since that's apparently what they are looking for. If Disney would buy CF then we'd still have Firehawk, a repaired SOB, and FoF (where would it go?).

IMO, you have too limited of a view of the Disney Company from the one time you visited and most of your opinion has come from what other people say.

Comparing Space Mountain to FoF is like comparing AE to Rock 'N Roller Coaster... apples to oranges. IMO, Space Mountain or BTMRR is better than AE and Rock N' Roller Coaster is better than FoF. People on here have been complaining about how rough some of the rides are and every roller coaster at Disney is very smooth and well kept.

How can you say that CF is dedicated to KI when they've owned it for little more than a year? And you're talking like if Disney would've bought KI instead of CF but this is talking about if Disney would buy CF since that's apparently what they are looking for. If Disney would buy CF then we'd still have Firehawk, a repaired SOB, and FoF (where would it go?).

IMO, you have too limited of a view of the Disney Company from the one time you visited and most of your opinion has come from what other people say.

What i said if you would have READ my post was if Disney had bought the Paramount parks instead of CF then we wouldnt have Firehawk, and SOB would be SOL. I know Disney is looking at buying CF, thats a givin, thats why we are all posting here. I was only stating that we shouldnt all praise Disney, and we shouldnt want them to buy CF. CF has only owned KI for a year, and look at the pros^^^

I personally do not want Disney to buy CF. If i want a Disney experience i will go to Disney, but if i want to have fun with friends at a theme park i go to KI.

P.S. If you want Scooby to become Lilo and Stich then for all means let Disney buy CF, but i would rather look at Nicktoons and HB stuff than Disney stuff.

What i said if you would have READ my post was if Disney had bought the Paramount parks instead of CF then we wouldnt have Firehawk, and SOB would be SOL. I know Disney is looking at buying CF, thats a givin, thats why we are all posting here. I was only stating that we shouldnt all praise Disney, and we shouldnt want them to buy CF. CF has only owned KI for a year, and look at the pros^^^

I personally do not want Disney to buy CF. If i want a Disney experience i will go to Disney, but if i want to have fun with friends at a theme park i go to KI.

P.S. If you want Scooby to become Lilo and Stich then for all means let Disney buy CF, but i would rather look at Nicktoons and HB stuff than Disney stuff.

Did I miss something? "I know Disney is looking at buying CF, thats a givin, that why we are all posting here".

Do you or someone have insider info that has told you Disney is looking at buying CF? I thought this all came from a media article based on 'what if'?

dude that would suck! Disney Land or world would like tear down Firehawk and make a mickey mouse coaster. I mean every thing in disneyland is for like 5 year olds :angry:

you are so right Kings Island would be another kiddy world and not our Kings Island

Okay, well I personally wouldn't mind Disney possibly buying CF. And by you saying that if you want to have fun with friends at a theme park you go to KI is exactly the reason why KI is possibly going to get another owner. KI, similar to CP and SFMM (and most SF parks), has a large teen/young adult fan base yet not as big of a family representation as Disney. Six Flags has recently decided to go the way of families. That is where the real money is, not with penny-pinching young people.

P.S. As of right now, CF has a limited contract with how long they can use the Nickelodeon theme. They could easily renew the contract but who's to say CF won't necessarily theme NickU to Peanuts since that's what they've used at their other parks. Would you then hate CF because you like the "Nicktoons and HB stuff"? As long as things are themed and themed well, I usually don't care what the theme is.

P.P.S. Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle would most likely become another Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin since it's similar to S-D.

Cedar Fair can renew the Nickelodean contract if and only if:

a. Cedar Fair is still in the amusement park business.

b. Viacom (or whoever owns the Nick intellectual property by then) is interested in renewing the contract (or is required to under the existing agreement at the option of Cedar Fair...which may or may not be the case).

c. Cedar Fair can afford the sum Viacom (or whomever...) wants for a renewal.

That's at least three if's before we ever get to "easily." It may not be as easy, or as much a foregone conclusion, as some think.

I admit that I did throw that "easily" in there hasty but I didn't want it to seem like CF only had this one contract and couldn't get another one. I tried to make it "easier" for others to understand since I was surrounded by comments suggesting that if Disney would buy KI they would tear out the rides and make it a huge kiddie park. I forgot that there were still bright people out there like The Interpreter, who for a while I thought was The Interrupter (comidic character from Late Night with Conan O'Brien).

I love Disney World. It is my favorite theme park to visit. I am an adult and I still enjoy Cedar Point/GL/KI for their rides and uniqueness. I don't want Disney to buy CF or the prior Paramount parks. I think Busch or Paramount would would be a better choice. I like the Nickelodeon area and the shows they have added this year. I don't want Snoopy at every park. People like variety at parks not the same thing.

In my opinion, Disney is more likely to purchase Great Wolf Lodge than Cedar Fair. From my experiences and observations, the Great Wolf Lodges are closer to Disney in terms of theming, design, amenities, and service than any of the CF parks.

And by owning Great Wolf Lodge, folks can get a taste of Disney, but not an alternative to a Disney park.

I love Great Wolf Lodge - and I'd love it even more if Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse replaced Wiley Wolf and Bilko.

I'd be thrilled if Disney purchased CF and less inclined to travel to Florida or California to enjoy a Disney park. And I think that is one reason why Disney wouldn't purchase CF - less visits to the main parks in Florida and California.

You know, people are ruling out Disney because they think that it'll hurt the market for Disney World. Think of it this way: what if Dinsey purchased CF and ran the parks like they're run now just not under the Disney banner? That way if a family has the money to go to Disney World they could, if they don't and end up at KI... well, Walt still gets your money.

Those are some really good points made above I just don't know how much I would like Disney taking over the theming of KI and all that.

Disney makes amazing themes and just overall parks but KI and CP have those different ones that appeal to different people.

Plus it doesn't seem like a good idea from disney anyway. -lost for words-... it just doesn't seem right

I cast my vote for absolutely not. The specalty of going to a disney park is that there isnt one right around every corner. The reason Walt Disney purchased 42 square miles, (2 times the size of manhattan if you cant fatham that) is because he wanted Walt Disney World to be cut off from the rest of the world. There is a famous example of a family leaving Disneyland at 4:30 because they could see that traffic was building up on the highway from the skyride. In addition the amount of work that would have to be done on the 11 CF parks to make them disney quality would be ridiculous.

With Disney rides, its about the experience, how your mind feels and what you think about when your riding an attraction. On a CF ride, its about the forces that your body feels physically. Even Expedition Everest or Mission Space are not about the Gforces, they're about an excursion into the Himalayas and an encounter with the Yetti or a trip through space to mars. In these rides the Gforces arent supposed to be the fun part, they're just supposed to back up the experience unlike on a ride like Vortex, TTD, or Dominator.

I believe that Walt Disney would NEVER have wanted his theme parks to relaps into the realm of regional, seasonal theme parks and that it would be an insult to his vision to consider it.

Disney would not be able to put just "a little" effort into a park. With disney its all or none. Mainly its all. Not to mention disney could not own CF and keep it a complete secret. Trying to would just make things worse because then people would expect great things from the 11 parks and if disney did not produce, it would tarnish the disney name and make all of disney look bad.

Then again, what would Walt have thought about Disney Quest? Or California Adventure, for that matter!

Very true. I've always wanted to know what EPCOT would be like if Walt would've been alive to make it the experimental prototype community of tomorrow he wanted. Heck, if it would've worked who knows if it would've revolutionized the way we live today.

I'd be thrilled if Disney did purchase CF - or at least Kings Island. But it would cost lots of money for Disney to re-theme and upgrade the parks. And Disney would want to replace CF's management team with Disney managers. That is something that CF doesn't want.