Share your humorous guest questions.

marlfox_21

One of the forums I just read made me remember something kind of funny. And I would like to know if anyone else has any amusing stories to share.

Ok, one year when I was working at the park, ( I believe this was in 2003 ) there was a Third Eye Blind concert to be held at Timberwolf Amphitheatre. And there was this HUGE, ok..MASSIVE banner going almost from one side of the Front Gate to the other that read..."TONIGHT ONLY, SPECIAL EVENT, THIRD EYE BLIND CONCERT, ONLY $5 WITH ADMISSION." And a couple walked up to me and said something that I have not been able to forget. "Hi, we just read the sign about the Third Eye Blind concert tonight. How much does it cost to get in?"

To this day, this amuses me. I love guests. The park could not exist without them. But sometimes, their questions do come out a bit humorous.

Another one of my favorites was a time when the power went out in the entire park. ( Except for the WaterPark, and Drop Zone. ) I believe that it was in 2002. And I had a wonderful guest ask me "When do they expect for the power to come back on?" Now, understandably, this was a paying customer whos time was being taken from her due to the outage, so I did feel for her. But honestly, again, this was another humorous question. In my mind alone, I was thinking..."Well, I do believe that the electrical power is scheduled to come back on in precisely 25 minutes." But desiring to be professional, my answer was, "I do apologize for the inconvenience to your day ma'am. Regretably, at this time, I have no way in knowing when it could come back on, but if it is a major inconvenience to you, please visit guest relations at our front gate, and they might be able to work something out for you." I am in no way putting down guests. I love these questions. They make the day lots of fun.

Has anybody else had any humorous questions at Kings Island? I am quite sure that you have. If so, please, share them here. Just please be sure that your responses are polite. I do not want to be responsible for people insulting valuable guests on a Kings Island site. ( You know what I mean, funny, but your responses were professional. )

m.f.21

Guest kwindshawne

During ACE ERT in June....

I am standing next to the bathrooms by IJST. A lady ACER walks up to me and says..."Where's the pond?" I politely point to it right in front of us and say...there it is.

(Wanders around for 10 minutes) Comes up again "I can't find the pond." I politely tell her again...there it is. "Oh, ok."

Wanders again for 5 minutes..."I still can't find the pond."

Unreal.......I didn't know what to do with that one....

There’s the ever popular "Where’s the Eiffel Tower?"

While waiting in the Adventure Express Station Is this that ride (pointing to SOB)." My response "Yes"

When IJST first opened and we were only giving out tickets to ride "I was never told I needed a special ticket" (After walking past 3 signs and a sign standing next to me explaining the process.

"Does this ride go upside down(While waiting in the SOB station which you clearly see from the station)

Waiting in line for AE "Is this a water ride?" My response "Yes, this is the world’s fastest and wettest log flume."

Some very interesting responses to guest questions here...I understand finding questions funny (and even laughing about it out of earshot of the guest), but purposely giving PAYING guests sarcastic responses?

Part of the deal in a front line service job is humoring seemingly moronic comments and questions by the general public. If that's too difficult for someone to do, they should probably do themselves, the guests, and Cedar Fair a big favor and rethink their vocation.

Yes, I whole heartedly agree. At Coney, I am asked numerous times why the cars on the Ferris Wheel don`t go in order, and have to respond that it is because of balancing issues. Even harder to explain is why no one can sit in the back seat of the Pepsi Python. In any given shift on a busy day, you will be asked that a dozen or more times!

Some very interesting responses to guest questions here...I understand finding questions funny (and even laughing about it out of earshot of the guest), but purposely giving PAYING guests sarcastic responses?

Part of the deal in a front line service job is humoring seemingly moronic comments and questions by the general public. If that's too difficult for someone to do, they should probably do themselves, the guests, and Cedar Fair a big favor and rethink their vocation.

Yes I can understand where you are coming from, but you need to realize that most of these people are with their friends who have ridden these rides before and they are trying to get a rise out of them. Example the AE answers, or SOB answer trying to get their friend to ride it for the first time. If it is something that someone is deathly afraid of, then I will be stright up with them. But if their friend is trying to get a rise out of them, then I usually play along. Which is what happened in most of the incidents that I described.

There’s the ever popular "Where’s the Eiffel Tower?"

heh I always get a kick out of the Eiffel Tower questions. :P especially when they are standing right underneith it <_< then when you finally get them to realize where they are at then they ask where the elevator is.

where's the restroom at?

and agian...its either right in front or behind them

While waiting in the Adventure Express Station Is this that ride (pointing to SOB)." My response "Yes"

I hear stuff like this every time i get ready to ride The Beast because parents scare their kids by saying that Vortex is The Beast while they are at the enterence.

A girl asked me where the tower was once underneath it.

My response: "In France."

You have to understand this though, if you have worked at the park for more than one year, you do give a sarcastic response because it keeps you from sighing and acting like you dont care.

Bad excuse, but you also have to think that the guests get a kick out of it as well, because it is fun to scare people before riding a ride, or telling them a fact like the Eiffel Tower is in France (when they are underneath it)

heh, when i was in line for The Racers, there were these girls right behind me, about 6 of them. they all saw Firehawk, and then were asking each other what it was... noone knew, then they proceeded to ask me. i told them it was Firehawk, they then asked if it went upside down, as they were staring at the ride... i sware, this was about 8 pm and they didnt notice the Firehawk signs all throughout the park, on park maps, advertisements, everywhere.... later on in the middle of the ride on The Racers they asked what the ugly blue ride was that flipped... needless to say i left really quick, as they pretty much annoyed me for the day.

I think this is the most funniest thing I have heard one day there was this kid and his Dad they were standing there looking at The Racer. The day like yup son this is the The Beast the World Longest Wooden Roller coaster. I just stood there listening about The Beast kept saying this is the oldest ride at the park. He asked me were the entrance was I'm like right by that basketball game he said thanks I have not ridden this in years I'm like have fun. Off he went and rode it when he got off he was like that was a great ride son. His son said daddy look at the sign he said yup its the........come on son lets get going.

People are stupid and don't know how to read signs in the park. I know one thing for sure is that many people don't know what signs on the roads mean when driving a lot of people need to understand how to yield when driving not speed in a hurry and run into the car almost that has the rideaway! :angry:

^ Its right of way, not rideaway!

Granted, some people don`t read signs. Heavens knows quite a few don`t read the signs at Coney that clearly state the height requirements. But then, you will find a handful of guests that do read the signs. Just this past weekend, there were numerous guests that read the sign at the Ferris Wheel and realized there kids were too short to ride it.

And I`ll agree with you about people not heeding traffic signs. I see cars constantly run the stop sign (without even slowing down a bit) at the top of my street. And I live on a residential street with a lot of small kids around! It all has to do with the fast paced society we live in today, and people wanting to get places as soon as possible.

One thing that annoyed me while working at AT. The Guests wouldn't walk all the way to end of the row, they would just sit anywhere they pleased. Then if we had a full load the last people coming in couldn't sit with there friends/family. So we had to make announcement for everyone to get up and move all the way to the end of the row. Then they still wouldn't listen and we had to go to the row and have them move.

I actually had a woman get angry with me once. I was working in ( at the time ) Hanna-Barbera Land.

And this middle aged woman asked me how to get to The Beast. So, politely, I told her. And she got angry with me, telling me that I was giving her wrong directions. And she physically stood there trying to tell me the correct way to the ride. At this point in my head I was thinking, "if you know then why are you asking me?" But then she told me that I was rude, and that she remembered The Beast being somewhere over by where Son of Beast is located now ( this was in 95 and yes, she was so rude that I still remember this ) And she ended her anger spree by saying that she remembered it clearly from riding it in *1971*!!!!! At this point I realized that all was hopeless with this woman, and I let her walk away.

m.f.21