Son of Beast Closed

coaster lover

My friend last Wednesday, forced me to go back on SOB with her. And my opinion on SOB, it's much better this year, still sad about the loop. The next chance I get Im riding it again, hopefully it'll be back opened up this Wednesday.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea we still havent got to the"why is it broken down" stage yet...instead everyone is complaining on y the piece of crap isnt gone yet...cant you guys just appretiate the good about sonny...i mean TTD is closed down all the time but no one ever complains about that.

i think that this downtime was to be expected, they did a major change to the ride, reguaging the track, adding new (to the rollercoaster) trains, and took out a major section of the track. id imagine that this was there plan to open it for about a week or two, and then see what they can do to make it better. they may have heard the reports on the rosebowl, and are repairing that, or it could be the red train that i noticed wasnt on its top game... who knows? but its to be expected since it did just open after a years worth of closure, it could just be a problem unforseen, like the controls not being very happy with the new cars, or the brakes as well. id imagine they would have to be modified a little to work with the new trains as they arent the same length or weight.

To tear it down would cost the park more money than it took to build it... think people think geez!!!! :angry:

Really? The cost of SoB was "$20,000,000 USD (estimated cost, park officials won't confirm actual cost)" Even if it actually cost half of that, you're saying that it'll take more than $10M to tear down SoB. You're the one that's crazy.

I just wonder how long it will be going under repair for?

If some how it takes till past 8/4, will we still have the SoB backstage tour?

id quit worrying about it being closed that long, id doubt it... id say it reopens in the near future.. or something would surface as to whats wrong with it....

i think they would be more apt to get that part ASAP because of its downtime in the past... i wouldnt think so though, as it prolly wouldnt be both trains not operational if it was a problem wiht the trains,and if its track, its all wood. they could just be modifying the station more for the new trains.

Yea we still havent got to the"why is it broken down" stage yet...instead everyone is complaining on y the piece of crap isnt gone yet...cant you guys just appretiate the good about sonny...i mean TTD is closed down all the time but no one ever complains about that.

I absolutely agree. I really like Sonny even though it beat the crap out of my knees (this was last season a few days before the incident). I haven't had a chance to ride it this season but it sounds like they are making some very positive changes. I would really like to know what's going on with it though. It worries me they have it shut down only a few days after it reopened. Too bad Maureen isn't still with KI she seemed to give us the inside scoop a lot. Do we have a good relationship with her replacement?

But if it just is a problem with one of the trains, I don't think they really would want to run one train. Yeah I know they only ran one train when SOB opened in 2000 and it held 36 riders at that time. But I also see what your saying. They could run one train to keep it open, or keep it closed till both trains are operational again. But I honestly don't know why it's closed.

they ran one train pretty much all day tuesday... dont see why they couldnt do that while they try and fix it like they did before, somethign tells me its not just the red train, or it would be open.

Very true, that would make the most sense.

You know, I rode it Wednesday, I believe the 11th.

The Son of Beast now sucks. It is as bad as The Racers, and 3 times rougher than it was before its accident. Prior to the accident, I would say that The Beast was rougher than The Son of Beast. Not now, it is horrible.

I used to be for keeping the Son of Beast, but for all it is worth now, I will now jump on the "tear it down" bandwagon.

Horrible.

it is Son of Beast, not The Son of Beast. That really annoys me. plus, what's so bad about The Racer?

I just hope whatever it is, it's nothing major. Has anyone seen anything from the top of the Tower?

Here's the view from Thursday (7/12) evening:

SOB_broken.jpg

As I pulled into the parking lot in the morning (around 9:45) I noticed the blue train testing, which got me really excited for what would have been my first ride on SOB this year (haha). By afternoon the red train was stopped on the lifthill for quite some time and by the evening everything looked completely normal (and quiet) from the Eiffel Tower. Both trains were parked on the storage track and there was no noticeable work being done anywhere on the ride.