Son of Beast Closed

coaster lover

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean TTD is closed down all the time but no one ever complains about that.

TTD has not been closed for almost an entire operating year.

Small periods of downtime are acceptable, as in the case with TTD. The first couple years TTD did have numerous issues, but the ride has been operating rather consistant since.

SoB has been plagued with issues since day one that have not stopped.

what is up with you guys, Son of Beast is a great ride! one of my favorites! they arent gonna tear it down anytime soon, unless it has another freak accident, or its maintenance becomes overwhelming like The Bat... its not that bad, they are prolly just getting it running tip top shape to make sure it will be running for years to come. its red car wasnt cooperative the last day it was open, the tenth, so id bet thats what it has to do with.

I was there on Wednesday the 11th, rode it 5 times between 4:30pm-8:30pm.

Can't believe that it was closed the very next day.

I will definitely make a phone call to them before I head down there next time

to make sure it is open!

I was there yesterday (Sunday 7/15) and the ride was down all day. It was disappointing, especially since the people I was with didn't want to ride Firehawk and The Beast was down for a good part of the day. Plus it rained, so I had to wait, yet again, for more riding time. By the time the rain let up and the rides opened back up, my friends were done for the day. I did get to ride The Vortex and The Racers though, so I guess it wasn't completely wasted.

Looking at the park from my house, it looks like SOB is down again today. If they are going to be shutting it down so much, they should scrap opening it up for the rest of the year and work on it from here until the end. Solve as many problems as they can in the off season and get it ready to be open at least 80% of the time next year. Perhaps opening it up this year was premature and rushed?

Just my two cents.

Perhaps opening it up this year was premature and rushed?

I agree, perhaps. But also consider we don't know exactly what has closed it down yet. There may just be something additional that could not have been forseen prior to opening. However, you may be right, considering they opened on July 4th - way too much of a coincidence - more like a target date, eh?

i think the person that said somewhere back that they opened it for a week, then are testing it and doing a few modifications to it so its even better. either that or something unforseeable happened and it will hopefully open soon. i wish we had more answers than questions...

Why does everyone want to tear SOB down???

It is one of the best roller coasters i have ever been on, and i have been on alot.

They aren't going to tear it down, well atleast not any time soon.

SOB is a great ride, unless you don't like wooden roller coasters, some people get off saying "SOB was jerky." If you don't like Jerky rides, then don't ride a wooden roller coaster.

We should be proud that KI has the tallest fastest wooden roller coasters.

I think people are saying tear it down because of all of the problems that the ride has suffered in the last 7 years (8 operating seasons). If I had to guess why it's closed now, I would say they are probably doing some work in the rose bowl.

I think people are saying tear it down because of all of the problems that the ride has suffered in the last 7 years (8 operating seasons). If I had to guess why it's closed now, I would say they are probably doing some work in the rose bowl.

SOB has only operated 7 years, well actually less because of all the problems, but i know what your saying.

=]

fans of SOB are probably very lucky that Cedar Fair has a penchant for record breaking rides... coasters in particular, otherwise under Paramount Parks management- the life support plug might have been pulled after last summer.

Either way- read it however you want- from this point SOB will likely be on a pretty short leash. CF is looking for private equity buyers... buyers who probably wouldn't been too impressed by funneling $$'s down a bottomless hole... and the popularity / ridership of a problem prone coaster- known to cause injury will not rebound easily let alone with repeated down time.

I will place my bets on an eventual Gravestone at FearFest someday with the acronym "S.O.B." on it. Maybe not this year, maybe not next.... but soon it will join the likes of "The Bat," and "King Cobra." I think it's pretty catchy... perhaps some marketing potential: RIP-SOB.

We should be proud that KI has the tallest fastest wooden roller coasters.

-est rides are starting to become a thing of the past.

Ironically enough, you can thank CF for that with the addition of Maverick. A coaster that did not promote itself as a -est coaster.

Today, Son of Beast tested many times and eventually opened for about 10 minutes. About 3 trains full of guests later, it was closed for the rest of the day. I honestly don't have any idea what is keeping it from being open, or for being torn down.

hey, at least it ran 3 trains of guests... i think they are jsut making it ready for primetime, so it wil be operatign without delay. it makes sense with it opening, and then closing shortly later. they were prolly jsut gaining silent opinions or something. who knows...

I haven't been on these boards the last few days so reading pages the last 3 pages catching up to where I had left off I read someone said "it ran one train on tuesday". What time of the day were you there? I was there in the evening and did it twice once in each train. So I do think it is shut down for train reasons. But also glad it was back up and running for a little while today.

Honestly, if they cant run this thing consistently on a daily basis everyday the park is open, they should just discontinue the ride altogether. These types of operations just do them a disservice. Think of how people come from far away to ride it, and get there to find it closed. The park can't even tell them if the ride is open or not.

If this is the only way to operate this ride, it would be best to just take it out and use the land for something else at another time. This ride has never been at the top of my list, but without the loop, it just looks downright boring, and I've never enjoyed a coaster on Gerschlauer Trains. Well, I guess we will have to wait and see what happens here. I wish them luck on it!

I haven't been on these boards the last few days so reading pages the last 3 pages catching up to where I had left off I read someone said "it ran one train on tuesday". What time of the day were you there? I was there in the evening and did it twice once in each train. So I do think it is shut down for train reasons. But also glad it was back up and running for a little while today.

I was there last tuesday and it only had one train going but while we were in line they loaded the other train on the tracks. This was around 12:30 to 1:00 I'd say I can't remember but it was the first thing I rode that day. After the other train was on the tracks I want to say both trains ran the rest of the day. They were anyways when I came back for a second ride.

i said that, and i said most of the day. i saw the red train operating when i rode it in the afternoon, but it wasnt long until they took it off and tested it again, i saw it as i left...

edit: responding to another post...

I was there last tuesday and it only had one train going but while we were in line they loaded the other train on the tracks. This was around 12:30 to 1:00 I'd say I can't remember but it was the first thing I rode that day. After the other train was on the tracks I want to say both trains ran the rest of the day. They were anyways when I came back for a second ride.

well that would be incorrect. i rode on the first train of the day that day. only the blue train was working at the time. because when we got off, the same people were behind us ready to get on. after we got off, they let the second blue cycle go, and shut the line off. they then tried to test the red train, and it didnt work. they reopened the line shortly after and i rode it again, and it was just the blue train running. i rode it again, and it was still running the blue train around 2ish. later on around 6 the red train was working, minus one row they had security taped off... it was testing again with the red train as i left...

anyone have any status info? i would like to know if it was closed today, or not. also drop zones status as well... i may be heading up there tomorrow...

edit: called the park, the lady obviously was retarded, i asked if Son of Beast was open, and she was like yeah its been open for a while now, and im like no it wasnt open last time i checked, and that was after it reopened. she left and checked, and found out in fact that it was not open. this is bad news because its not open, but also good news i think. if they planned to do some work, they would have let the workers all know, so they can say its closed. but they thought it was open, because nothing was said to the contrary.