Son of Beast Closed

coaster lover

Flight Commander was removed after the 1995 season. I don't remember though how long it was closed though. The accident happened in 1991, I know it was closed for the rest of that year, but was it closed for the entire 1992 season, or did it reopen in 1992?

I can't remember when Flight Commander reopened either. I want to say it was the 92 season. I know I rode it al least one time after the accident and before it was removed. As for Son of Beast when I went Tuesday there was a sign in the entrance for it that said Son of Beast was closed for testing. But there were no tests that I could see, both trains were on the storage track. I didn't get there until about 1 though so it may have tested earlier in the day. I rode it during the 8 days it was open and thought it was fantastic. Lines were about a 25 min wait which I thought was kind of long for a weekday.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that may have been an old sign they pulled out to stick in front of the line. But lets just see what happens. I'll be at the park on Sunday, July 22nd. I have heard it may reopen in the next few days, along with Drop Zone.

If you got a broken sternum on The Beast or whip lash from FoF, would you scream tear it down?

The Beast has been operating since 1979. And in 29 years there has been at least one significant accident (when the brakes were wet and two trains collided). And guess what? The problem has been corrected, ironically enough, without major downtime.

FoF was notorious for being a severe head-banger. New restraints were installed. And guess what? The problem has been corrected, ironically enough, without major downtime.

Beast and FoF have been here for 29 years and 12 years respectivly. Your comparsion of those rides to SoB is like apples to oranges.

And no, I have not screamed to tear it down. It would be great if the problems could be corrected and the ride could operate for everyone's enjoyment. But after 8 operating seasons (4 if you only count uptime) the park could use the money for something else.

Think of it from a history standpoint. The Bat was present at KI from '81 till it finally closed in '83. As great were the reports as to what kind of ride it was, it could not operate consistantly. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? (Well not really, since most of the world feels that SoB should be donated to a third world country in the form of pencils) But in the end, Vortex was built. Now who could complain about that decision? The park certainly has not suffered with Vortex.

Now, has the park suffered with SoB?

I'll let the majority speak up with that answer.

Well hopefully Son of Beast will open again within the next few days, as some of the news has been reporting. This may have been KI's intention all along. Reopen for a week then close it down to see how the track/trains are fairing. My Brother and his Wife are coming to the park with me on July 29th so hope it's open by then.

Do tell Vortex. When is the parks next plannned shut down of SOB?

Should we start a prediction of how long it will be open before the next "sheduled maintenance?"

Guest kwindshawne

I dont particularly like Son, that is my personal opinion. I understand all the money that has been poured into it and the fact it is a unique coaster is why they are trying to save it. I would be sad if it was removed, however, for all you future architects, business people, and such, look at this objectively...does keeping it really make financial sense? I mean, I don't have the inside scoop and have no idea of CF's financials, but on a smaller scale it relates to a car....why would anyone want to continue pouring money into something that will not work? There is where all the discretionary money is going and those funds could be used to do something better..perhaps retrack racer for starters...and plan for something that would really put KI on the map. They have done all they can do with this-no one can say they didn't try...but enough is enough.

I have been reading over this thread and noticed a lot of people are basing their opinions on how much they like it. Trying being neutral for one moment and answer this question. If they can fix Son of Beast and get it to run regularly without problems will you still want to tear it down for a new ride?

hello all first off I would like to say I have never been to Kings Island being I am 10 hours away from it makes it difficult. I am actually going for my first time in August. Anyways to the point I have been reading this thread since post one and hear is my input. I think they bought theses new trains as a quick fix to the problem. I would not be suprised to see brand new trains for son next year. I dont think they will get rid of SOB any time soon look at it as Cedar Fair would Yes they are putting money into it but is it really any more money that they would put into any other record breaking coaster think about it Cedar Fair personel and Kings Island personel are reading all these things being said about SOB and it is obvious that they have improved the ride with the new trains. I think the positive responce outways the negative in the new trains the question really is here is it the track or is it the trains or is it a combination of both elements. I am leaning on it was the trains the whole time and the weight of the trains deteriorated the track over time witch made it eventually give. So I have to say Cedar Fair is doing the right thing by exhausting all of its options before going to the next step weather it be destruction or a complete rehab of track and brand new trains. On a personal note I just want to go there and ride it in Aug. (hopefully it is open).

Guest kwindshawne
I have been reading over this thread and noticed a lot of people are basing their opinions on how much they like it. Trying being neutral for one moment and answer this question. If they can fix Son of Beast and get it to run regularly without problems will you still want to tear it down for a new ride?

No...not at all. Judging from opening to now, I doubt it CAN be fixed

I think that may have been an old sign they pulled out to stick in front of the line. But lets just see what happens. I'll be at the park on Sunday, July 22nd. I have heard it may reopen in the next few days, along with Drop Zone.

It looked like an old sign. An even older sign which there is a picture on here somewhere was at the front gates to the park. The "P" one with Spongebob on it talking about repair.

I have to admit that I am a little biased towards it as I like the ride. Overall I look at it this way. I've ridden it at least over 200 times with the loop, about 5 without. I want the ride to be open only if it's safe. If there isn't a way to do that then it won't be open anyway and I and everyone else can't ride. I guess what I'm saying is this. I would rather have an open Son of Beast than a closed Son of Beast, but if it never opens and is just a pile of wood rotting then yes I don't mind if it goes and something else in its place is put up. Other rides have come and gone that I loved and I got over those I can get over this too. The Beast is the only ride I have to ride everytime I go anyway. I'll be there next Tuesday as usual if it's up then I'm on it if not then I'll enjoy my day on many of the other rides like I did this past week.

Your so wrong man its already been FIXED besides it would cost the park more money to tear SoB down than it did to build it.

Where is everyone who keeps saying this getting this information. Please show me the facts and figures. I don't know exactly how much SOB costs, but I think someone estimated it over 2M. Common sense tells you that a wrecking ball is cheap. Hell I even bet if they left it just standing, someone would offer to come tear it down and use it for whatever they want. Not to mention you save money on maintnance, employees, etc. Common sense, how can shutting it down cost more than it did to open? CRAZY thoughts ... please put some facts or argument behind this statement

If you got a broken sternum on The Beast or whip lash from FoF, would you scream tear it down?

The Beast has been operating since 1979. And in 29 years there has been at least one significant accident (when the brakes were wet and two trains collided). And guess what? The problem has been corrected, ironically enough, without major downtime.

FoF was notorious for being a severe head-banger. New restraints were installed. And guess what? The problem has been corrected, ironically enough, without major downtime.

Beast and FoF have been here for 29 years and 12 years respectivly. Your comparsion of those rides to SoB is like apples to oranges.

And no, I have not screamed to tear it down. It would be great if the problems could be corrected and the ride could operate for everyone's enjoyment. But after 8 operating seasons (4 if you only count uptime) the park could use the money for something else.

Think of it from a history standpoint. The Bat was present at KI from '81 till it finally closed in '83. As great were the reports as to what kind of ride it was, it could not operate consistantly. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? (Well not really, since most of the world feels that SoB should be donated to a third world country in the form of pencils) But in the end, Vortex was built. Now who could complain about that decision? The park certainly has not suffered with Vortex.

Now, has the park suffered with SoB?

I'll let the majority speak up with that answer.

I will raise my cup to that. Huzzah!

It would not cost more to tear it down than it did to build it. And, obviousely since the ride has been shut down for more than a week after it briefly reopened, somthing wasn`t quite right with the ride. I took a spin on it several weeks ago, and that one trip aboard it was enough for me for the rest of the season.

With the amount of downtime it has had, and the presumably high maintenance costs associated with the ride. You have to wonder how long Kings Island and its current owner Cedar Fair, will continue to try and fix Son of Beast. The park has done the most radical changes for this season with the hopes of fixing the ride. But is it just another band aid solution to a bigger problem?

Personally, I`d be surprised if Son of Beast is still at Kings Island in 2012, five years from now.

Your so wrong man its already been FIXED besides it would cost the park more money to tear SoB down than it did to build it.

That is like saying CF spent more disassembling, transporting, and reassembling (with all the trimmings) Firehawk, which we know not to be the case.

http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm

Kings Island, another park that the company acquired this past season, and Knott’s Berry Farm, the company’s only year-round park, will spend approximately $10 million and $8 million, respectively, on their 2007 capital programs. Kinzel added that both programs will be highlighted by major new thrill rides that will be announced by the parks at a later date.

Where did you come up with this idea?

Or if you are referring to ROI (return on investment)?

We have been told that it cost about $500,000 less to disassemble and reassemble Firehawk than X-Flight cost originally. It was not a huge savings. On the other hand, I have seen no comparison to what it would have cost to construct a NEW Vekoma Flying Dutchman. Given what's happened to steel prices since Six Flags put in X-Flight, I suspect the savings were greater than $500,000...quite a bit more.

http://www.rcdb.com/id920.htm

Something does not add up.

The original cost of X-Flight was $15 million. And the money allocated to KI was $10 million. Now if you just throw in the removal of SoB's loop, the new trains, the other repairs as well as the other park improvments (addition of garbage cans ;) ), and then throw in there the entire cost for X-Flight being at KI this year it seems that the $500,000 is inaccurate.

The bottom line still is; it costs more to construct than deconstruct.

Firehawk was obviously capital, and I think loop replacement and new trains would technically be a capital improvement. However, you can also argue that once the loop was 'retired,' the new track could be O&M to an extent, along with all the retracking and structural work that has been done.

Firehawk capital would probably only be shipping and installation. Geauga Lake definitely got the 'capital' cost of removal.