Son of Beast Reopened, July 19th

BoddaH1994

SWEEET! I am going to pki on monday and cant wait.. we were worried that SoB was going to be closed... it is my favorite ride at the park! I have ridden it five times since the loop got taken out and was dissapointed when it was closed last year... im really excited!

So you road SOB last year, after the loop had been removed?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much smoother is it now than before? I was one of the first riders on SOB... I rode it on the gold pass preview night in 2000, and back then it wasn't TOO bad... but the years that followed, I was too tall and it was the most painful ride I've ever been on. If it's a lot smoother now, I might give it a shot next time I go. But if not, forget that pile of crap.

I think maybe a Son of Beast bashing thread may be in order. Not for me to bash on it, just for those who keep insisting on coming in here and telling the world how much you hate it. I'm pretty sure we understood you the first 50,000 times you posted it.

Personally, I can't wait to ride it again. I never had a problem with it before and I'm sure I'll love it again.

I think maybe a Son of Beast bashing thread may be in order. Not for me to bash on it, just for those who keep insisting on coming in here and telling the world how much you hate it. I'm pretty sure we understood you the first 50,000 times you posted it.

Personally, I can't wait to ride it again. I never had a problem with it before and I'm sure I'll love it again.

AMEN!!!

I rode SoB today (4th time with the new cars) while my ride today was maybe a touch rougher than last time, I still believe it is definitely smoother than The Racer, and depending what seat, smoother than The Beast. If you haven't been on Sonny with the new cars, definitely give the ride another try. The ONLY real rough part is bottom of the double helix. That part of the ride was no smoother than last week. Once again, my friends whom I rode with are with me on this.

Also for all the SoB haters: I was at the park today from open to 4, and SoB was the longest wait we had all day, and we rode every major ride. While the capacity might be lower than before, we just under 60 minutes minutes to ride Sonny [however, there was a 20 minute delay due to someone who needed medical attention in the station (due to a bee sting, I think) and then a test cycle]. Each of the three times I saw the line in the morning (10AM to 2), it was PAST the service road underpass (with no gates open). One time it was getting near the entrance to the ride, and that was before the Friday afternoon crowd. Waits for other major rides this morning/early afternoon were between (5-20 minutes)

My Point: Sonny was the 2nd most popular ride in the park next to Firehawk today. The public now has a lot of interest in the ride. I think the word is out that the ride is smoother and people want to see for themselves. The question is: will the interest in the ride last for a while? I think it will. Long live Son of Beast!

Sorry to post twice like this, but regarding the smoothest part of the train: All four of my rides on the new trains have been spread throughout the front half of the train, and all have been pretty consistent as far a smoothness goes. If I had to choose, the smoothest ride was the one in the back of the 3rd car, and the roughest (by a very little margin) was the second car. But like I said, all the rides have been much smoother than the old trains.

AMEN!!!

I rode SoB today (4th time with the new cars) while my ride today was maybe a touch rougher than last time, I still believe it is definitely smoother than The Racer, and depending what seat, smoother than The Beast. If you haven't been on Sonny with the new cars, definitely give the ride another try. The ONLY real rough part is bottom of the double helix. That part of the ride was no smoother than last week. Once again, my friends whom I rode with are with me on this.

Also for all the SoB haters: I was at the park today from open to 4, and SoB was the longest wait we had all day, and we rode every major ride. While the capacity might be lower than before, we just under 60 minutes minutes to ride Sonny [however, there was a 20 minute delay due to someone who needed medical attention in the station (due to a bee sting, I think) and then a test cycle]. Each of the three times I saw the line in the morning (10AM to 2), it was PAST the service road underpass (with no gates open). One time it was getting near the entrance to the ride, and that was before the Friday afternoon crowd. Waits for other major rides this morning/early afternoon were between (5-20 minutes)

My Point: Sonny was the 2nd most popular ride in the park next to Firehawk today. The public now has a lot of interest in the ride. I think the word is out that the ride is smoother and people want to see for themselves. The question is: will the interest in the ride last for a while? I think it will. Long live Son of Beast!

SOB will be hit or miss for the rest of the season as far as lines are concerned. I went on July 5th and waited an hour, but went about a week later and walked right now. The ride has gotten a lot of media attention in the past few weeks, which could spark an interest. It's a matter of whether or not that interest remains.

While I'm an SOB lover, and agree SOB and Firehawk are very popular now, just don't confuse capacity with popularity....

Guest kwindshawne

Ok...everyone here knows how I feel about Son. I rode it tonight (twice). AWESOME!!!! Great work to all who were involved in redoing it!! Its right!!

Now I am rotten...I have back issues and shouldn't ride any of this stuff..today was the first day I was ever able to hold my arms through the entire ride and not come off hurting. BTW, I like the new trains..they are snug, but not body beaters like the other ones..I was able to enjoy the speed without worrying about pain pills tomorrow. Revised opinion...Keep it!!!!!

SWEEET! I am going to pki on monday and cant wait.. we were worried that SoB was going to be closed... it is my favorite ride at the park! I have ridden it five times since the loop got taken out and was dissapointed when it was closed last year... im really excited!

So you road SOB last year, after the loop had been removed?

No. Last year I was not able to ride SoB because it was closed. That is why I am excited.

Guest kwindshawne
Would sitting in the "outer" seat in the first helix make the ride less bumpy?? Because that's the seat I've always had since it's re-opening and I think it's smoother than being on the inner one...

I did..with my hands up :) the g's pushed me completely down..couldn't hold my back straight, but still no pain. I sat in the second car both times, so I'm not sure how the back fares. This is bad...but Son is now smoother than Racer. I can't hardly ride racer anymore, let alone hold my arms up

I went yesterday to tackle the SOB for the 2nd time and i gotta say it is much better than the origanal.

Good stuff about it:

1. AIR TIME on the first drop!!

2.Air time on the place where the loop was.

3.More smooth.

Bad things about it:

1. Really roughf in the first helix after first drop.

I can not really complane. Thank you for your time! :D

Guest kwindshawne

Yesterday I saw more people in line than I ever had. Plus the ride ops were extremely entertaining..they really got into their jobs.

I been on Sonny-boy twice now this year (second time was yesterday morning) and I still say for such a large woodie I feel it is really smooth. So what if you get banged around a bit in the rosebowl, what do you want. My buddy and me both agree that "The Beast" helix is more hard on the body, but it something everyone has come to expect. SOB will never be as smooth as a large steel coaster, you can't be what your not!

If you really want to try a painful pile of wood, ride "Mean Streak" at Cedar Point. Even with all the neutering they done to that coaster it's still hurts and not much fun.

One thing I do feel Sonny is missing is tunnels, Daddy has them. Putting one where the loop use to be would be smart if you asked me. I know there still working out the bugs on that ride but they need to do something with that big hole there, to me it looks , well kinda stupied!

I rode meanstreak a couple of weeks ago. it was smooth but, very unimpressive.

it inflicted no pain. it wasn't fast enough. the "beastie" gives a better ride.

Ya my personal favorite part of the nuetering of Mean Streak is the fin brake on the first drop, if you ask me it's lame, lame and ... oh lame.

On Friday the 20th I rode SoB twice; once at 4:40 and once at 9:45. Both times I was in the second car first row left seat. But the first ride I was in the red train and the second ride I was in the blue train. I have to say that in that seat, the red train was much smoother in the rose bowl than the blue train. But besides the blue train on the rose bowl, I have to say that overall it was fairly smooth and a very enjoyable ride.

I rode it yesterday for the first time this year. I thought the ride was just as rough, but the new trains made it a little more bearable. I agree with everyone who says the first drop is the best part of the ride. The rose bowl was really rough. Overall I would give the refurb a solid B. It's not a great ride (yet) but I still enjoyed it.

How very true. After the refurbished track has had trains thundering over it for weeks and the track loosens up some, it very well may be a much less enjoyable ride (if you can even call it that when it reopened this year) than when it reopened after having gone through extensive rehab.