Tomb Raider: Deparamounted

Ki Man

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for starters, no one has said that they are going to be redoing Tomb Raider the Ride during the off season. Secondly, if the ride is working, albeit with some of the effects mia, there is no point to close down the ride. I understand from an experience point of view, but if the soundtrack is working, and at least part of the effects are working, they should keep it open.

If they were to close it down for the rest of the year, that would be one less ride for guests to ride. That means that they will go to other rides and wait in longer lines. Longer lines means that they are spending more times in those lines and less time out on the midways spending money. That in turn translates to Cedar Fair making less money (however the actual impact of shutting the ride down is likely miniscule to the park`s bottom line).

The biggest reason I can see Kings Island for not keeping up with the theming on TRTR (other than cost), is because it is branded after a Paramount movie. Lets face it. With the exception of the rides that are named/based on Paramount movies, almost all other traces of the Paramount logo (save for the large sign in the parking lot) have disappeared from the park. I`m sure that if Cedar Fair is considering doing anything with TR:TR they certainly don`t want to throw money at it now, while it still bears the name of a license they don`t own.

I think Maverick was a big improvement for Cedar Point. The Frontier trail really improved with its installment. You really feel like you're in a western back there now. But I agree, the rest of CP is mostly a concrete paradise. However the lake really does make the park beautiful, especially from the top of the tall rides :)

Disaster Transport, as you said, is a joke. They've tried to re-theme (and when I say re-theme I really just mean change the lighting in different parts) of DT for about 5-6 years, and each time it got progressively worse. Now they basically just leave the lights off so most of the ride is in complete darkness. I guess it's a nice ride to go on with a date.......

I guess we can only hope that Maverick inspired the head honchos at Cedar Fair to make well-themed rides for their parks.

Well, for starters, no one has said that they are going to be redoing Tomb Raider the Ride during the off season. Secondly, if the ride is working, albeit with some of the effects mia, there is no point to close down the ride. I understand from an experience point of view, but if the soundtrack is working, and at least part of the effects are working, they should keep it open.

Actually, I was impicturing 1,000 topics asking "When's Tomb Raider going to reopen?" "If it's just the sound, then why not just let us ride?" etc etc etc.

People have mentioned Disaster Transport at Cedar Point. The comparison is striking. Years ago, the theming on DT fell into disrepair. Slowly, it was removed. First the queue effects, then some of the ride effects, then it was all dark, then they added some fluorescent paint, etc. Why did CP not invest more money into the ride? Because it ceased to be a thrill ride. People were no longer riding DT for excitement (some might argue they never did!). Instead, it's gimmicks are: an indoor coaster with an air-conditioned queue that you only need to be 46" tall to ride. That means people ride it to get out of the heat for a bit, for something different (indoors), and lots of kids ride because it is tame and they are tall enough. Not sufficient reasons for CP to make a major investment! Just keeping it running is enough to satify all 3 of those marketing reasons.

You know, when I went to Cedar Point for the first time a few months ago, I insisted that we ride Disaster Transport as kind of a joke since I had heard how bad it was. Surprisingly enough, yeah, the themeing sucked, but I thought the ride experience was a lot of fun. Especially where it was totally dark, you never know when the thing was going to act like it was going to roll right off the side. Then again, I never rode it when it was themed.

Ryan

Agreed^ If they had Tomb Raider closed right now, people would complain that it should run with or without the show.

Also there is no reason to assume that the park is going to all of a sudden have a profound intrest in restoring Tomb Raider. They could have been changing lightbulbs for the past 5 years but decided not to. I doubt they'll start now.

(If Ryan likes the dark parts of Disaster Transport, I can hardly wait til he experiences Skull Mountain at Six Flags Great Adventure...and many of y'all think Cedar Fair let Disaster Transport's theming go! :) You should see (or rather NOT see) the inside of Skull Mountain! And it has similar holes in the roof to Disaster Transport, for good measure!)

**UPDATE** I got work from someone in high rankings that TR:TR's "mega board" (the computer that operates the ride) is meeeesssssed up. So they are taking it out and trying to fix it or getting another one. It should be closed for the next couple days.

-Zach

Guest TombraiderTy

Poor poor Tomb Raider... I think they could do a three-four year change to Rivertown.

2007: WWC minor changes (cannons)

2008: Tomb Raider: The Ride major changes (maybe mine shaft theme) and KIAMVRR major changes (can you say live actors again? I've heard it's being considered)

2009: The Beast minor changes (happy 30th!) and dive coaster (that rumor that's been going around)

You heard wrong.

The Paramount name (not on rides) must be gone before the beginning of next season unless Cedar Fair wants to pay more compensation.

Nick had four years (not five) left on its licensing. Renewals are an option.

Each Paramount movie themed ride is separately licensed, and the terms have not been publicly released to my knowledge.

You heard wrong.

The Paramount name (not on rides) must be gone before the beginning of next season unless Cedar Fair wants to pay more compensation.

Nick had four years (not five) left on its licensing. Renewals are an option.

Each Paramount movie themed ride is separately licensed, and the terms have not been publicly released to my knowledge.

the article is a subscription only reading, but on Cedar Fair's wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Fair_Entertainment_Company), the following is quoted from a source/news article:

"Cedar Fair did receive both Paramount movie/TV licenses (expires in 10 years) as well as Nickelodeon licenses (expires in 4 years)"

Not sure if this is correct because obviously the media can get it wrong...

The ten years for Paramount movie/tv licenses is what was originally released to the public. But, there were apparently provisions in the deal as to who pays whom the longer those licenses are used. Put another way, it seems Cedar Fair can save some money by ending its usage earlier. And the local park representatives have indicated the use of Paramount (other than rides, which are licensed separately) will be over before the next season begins.

So, cholderfield, what you read was right when it was written, and may still be for all we know...but for whatever reason, Cedar Fair is eliminating usage of the Paramount name and logo throughout the parks (at Kings Island, for example, the marquee sign and the Paramount theater seem to be the only remaining usages (other than the individual rides).

As for Nick, remember the acquisition took place June 30, 2006. Four years would end June 30, 2010, less than three years from now.

The ten years for Paramount movie/tv licenses is what was originally released to the public. But, there were apparently provisions in the deal as to who pays whom the longer those licenses are used. Put another way, it seems Cedar Fair can save some money by ending its usage earlier. And the local park representatives have indicated the use of Paramount (other than rides, which are licensed separately) will be over before the next season begins.

So, cholderfield, what you read was right when it was written, and may still be for all we know...but for whatever reason, Cedar Fair is eliminating usage of the Paramount name and logo throughout the parks (at Kings Island, for example, the marquee sign and the Paramount theater seem to be the only remaining usages (other than the individual rides).

As for Nick, remember the acquisition took place June 30, 2006. Four years would end June 30, 2010, less than three years from now.

thanks..yeah i would definitely understand removing the logo from the parks...but maybe keeping the ride names/themes the same, at least for a while....but that's just my opinion, of course...

I took a look at your pictures on the other Kings Island site (it took me a second to realize what you meant) and it's hard to tell what's going on but can anyone else confirm what fan of beast said about sections of scenery (I'm guessing they meant theming) laying out behind the ride?

The boiler is not turned on. Simple as that.

As for the theming, its not that hard to remove the theming and roll it outside. In fact, its done quite a lot in the offseason (with coverings of course.)

Zach, I would love to know who your source is, however let me tell you somthing: I dont know who is calling a computer the "mega-board," but whoever it is is just trying to make themselves seem like they know what they are talking about. Its a desktop computer, nothing more. The control modules in the PLC room could have been removed, but I have never heard of a mega-board. However, from the sound of it, its a computer, a desktop computer.

Also, it really wouldnt make sense to de-paramount the ride in the middle of the season? I think that it would make more sense if a hydraulic line gave way, maybe in an out of the way location, such as behind one of the arms, which requires heavy machinery to hold the ride up. That would make more sense to move the scenery out of the way if they had to get trucks in and out of the building.

He could be talking about the control board for the ride. The program is run by a pc but the actual commands come from a separate board that is usually a series of relays that tell the ride what to do. (what motor to run and in what direction).

Also by saying "The boiler is not on" do you mean the Steam?

^ok I may be traveling a lot but I thought the article said it was an amateur baseball team? And it is baseball season right? Not unless they play on the ice. Well I could not find a web site for them and I was curious, so fill me in. I have to be at the park by 8:00 and it is 7:35 (Denmark) so I will keep an eye on this thread later. Thanks.