Possible location for a new ride?

SOBfan SK

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I believe they sign showed up in 1996, promoting the ride. Obviously, the park changed their minds and opted for a major expansion of WaterWorks, including adding the wave pool.

Drop Zone and Face Off debuted in 1999 as part of the two year $35 million investment that culminated with the installation of another major ride in Action Zone. A ride which has caused the park many headaches so far in its short tempermental lifetime. Sometimes offspring go through some difficult growing pains, and Son of Beast would definitely fit that bill.

The Frog Hopper ride at Coney (installed in 2003), was manufactured by S&S Power, the same people responsible for the Power Tower at Cedar Point. Between the Frog Hopper and Plankton`s Plunge, the Frog Hopper is far superior due to it having more of a "bounce" then the Zamperla made Plankton`s Plunge. Kings Island would NOT install another one of these rides in the park, specifically one in Coney Mall. These rides are NOT high capacity rides. The Frog Hopper only can handle seven people per ride cycle.

Yep. I believe they sign showed up in 1996, promoting the ride. Obviously, the park changed their minds and opted for a major expansion of WaterWorks, including adding the wave pool.

From what I've been told if Dropzone would have be added in 1997 on the old Flight Commander pad it would have been the same model as the "Superman Tower of Power" at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.

Yes, as PKIVortex stated, had Kings Island added a Drop Zone ride in 1997, it would have been a second generation Intamin drop ride. The ride that was installed at Kings Island, a third generation ride, was the second third generation drop ride built by Intamin, and the first one built in the United States.

• 2 months later...

Just something to chime in: When I went to the park today, I noticed 2 construction zones. The first was the obvious swan lake, with trees by the train sawed down. The second, which is the new info, would be near the graveyard. I noticed a lot of dirtwork and such in that large clearing. Could they be building there too?

Just something to chime in: When I went to the park today, I noticed 2 construction zones. The first was the obvious swan lake, with trees by the train sawed down. The second, which is the new info, would be near the graveyard. I noticed a lot of dirtwork and such in that large clearing. Could they be building there too?

I mentioned this in my trip report. I think they just excavated dirt to fill Swan Lake with.