What happened to King's Island

Mikey Pop

i was at KI about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't so much bad attitudes/disrespect.... i saw employees texting and listening to mp3 players. That's unacceptable. You wouldn't even get by with that working at McDonalds. And it's that particular attitude that is going to earn KI lawsuits from negligence.

I've been on the Volunteer staff's before (a program I think they have discontinued) and have been specifically "placed" at certain locations and the problem I've seen from the last few years have been supervisors (those are the ones in the ties this year, right?) that were too concerned with being a "fun" boss- than being a responsible supervisor.

wow first off txting and mp3 players will get you fired no questions asked. i agree completly with you on that. thats unacceptable.

and the ranking goes like this:

associates: blue shirts blue/white name tags. (minors/majors)

assistant supervisors: blue shirt name tags says assistant sup.

supervisors: blue shirt name tag says supervisor.

area sups: blue suits

and above them are the guys in actual suits

i havent had any problems from sups being "too nice" and not doing their job though.

• Like 1

Working at KI though definity prepared me for my experience in Retail though. Working with the public sucks, but sometimes you just have to step back and look at the situations from the guest's perceptive. If it's something you wouldn't like to be done to you or something you wouldn't like to see while your having a good time at KI, then probably the paying guests don't want to see it either.

the last time I was in one of those "settings" was last year (2006). But a friend who is a hold over from the PKI casting dept say that this year is no better or worse than years past, but that this year was the first time they've had problems with employees text messaging while on the job.... and other. And that the area supervisors this year tended to have been slightly more qualified than in years past.

he said that it is a general expectation problem. PKI management had low expectations from associates.... which is why they had to stack 10 people in a job that could have been done by 3-4... becuase it usually took all 10 to get it done (I'm being a little dramatic, but you get the point). They had low expectations, and most fell short of that. CF has tried to raise the bar... but as many have said on this site- it's going to take some time.

Don't quit. the summer is unfortunately almost over (from an operating season perspective). Guests will be jerks, but as you get older and into the professional scene... that doesn't change- try working with people's money... that's when the "good" attitudes come out. As far as co-workers... "do not let anybody put you down because you are young, but be an example."

• Like 1

Guest TombraiderTy

I think you should be allowed a cell phone for emergencies, but not to text or listen to music, surf the web, whatever.

And I do like how Cedar Fair brings in people to work from all around. However, despite what someone said before in this thread, I don't believe CF pays for the employee's lodging. When my family ate at the buffet in Cedar Point back in 2004, the person who came to our table, checking to see if everything was okay, told us a bit about the program and how she had to pay for lodging. That was three years ago though, so it may have changed... and I might've heard wrong, but I' pretty positive that's what I heard.

Don't forget under CBS in 2006:

* Raise food pricing throughout the park, lower food quality and understaff foods.

* Don't let guests into the park to spend a dime before official opening time. Don't even let them through the metal detectors unless it is going to be very, very busy. And on days you don't let them in at all until opening time, make them BEG to please use the restroom before 10 a.m.

* Cut way back on entertainment department, and don't even have any shows before Memorial Day.

* As has been mentioned, close Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion and let it be known that your plan is to move both it and the one at Kings Island to other parks at the end of the season.

Say what you will about Cedar Fair, but in many ways, MOST of these decisions have been reversed. Thankfully. They were short term cost cutting and bad for the parks' long term reputations.

I also said that my opinion reflected Paramount PRE 2005.

Good things paramount did for us:

* Bought the park from Lindner who was letting it go downhill, just look at the "Climax" of Adventure Express.

*Expanded the water park many times.

*Son of Beast, come on now, they had a huge ambition when they installed this. Not to mention, you guys may hate it but there are TONS of people who come to KI because of Son of Beast. Anyone who's ever worked the SOB greeter position can justify this.

*Flight of Fear, just as SOB this could have been hit or miss, luckily it was a hit.

*Creation of the Action Zone with the addition of Face off/ and Drop Zone

*Attempted relationship with HUSS.

--->Tomb Raider had nearly all its effects under the management of Paramount. In 2005 after the park went up for sale, the ride still had nearly all the lights, the steamers, the firewalls, steam blasters, water jets, bubbliers, hazer, fog machines, misters, etc.

*Nickelodean universe is Incredibe and if you dont think so, well KI doesnt care because Kings Island is not trying to appeal to you. All the Nickelodean can be talleyed up to Paramount. Entheusiasts who have a season pass who know exactly where the cheepest food in the park is etc is not who KI wants to come in their gates. They want familys of 4 and up and groups with many children and many mouths to feed.

*Its a fact that towards the end Paramount had a lack of interest in the shows. That does NOT mean that this was always the case. DID YOU KNOW that in 1999 KI had 7 shows. I dont think Cedar Fair has that many at any of their parks.

*OK now one of my personal favorite additions from Paramount: FEARFEST. Fearfest and weekends in October are BY FAR my favorite times to visit the park. 2000 was the year that Fearfest started, cannot deny that.

*Even with the knowledge that they were for sale, Paramount Could have just kept the off season empty but they didnt. They tried what seemed impossible. To recreate Winterfest. Obviously it had its flaws however they tried, and to me that is most important. Personally I LOVED winterfest and was heartbroken that Cedar Fair would not attempt to keep it going.

*Everyone removes rides, its a fact. Cedar Point changes rides and ride locations more than I change th oil in my car. Sometimes, there are losses. Paramount did not remove the flying eagles, Paramount relocated the flying eagles. I know, I miss them too but I surely doubt that Craig Ross woke up one morning and said "Lets move the eagles to Carowinds" Likely the call came from much higher up and KI had little say in the matter.

*IJST Okay I worked on the crew the year this ride opened and I personally can say, that I have ridden the ride while the stair effect was on. I know this because there were times when the stair effect was being tested and I was lucky enough to be working several times. In addition I can tell you that the maintanence department worked like crazy to get the effects to work right but in the end, vandalism and design flaws triumphed. Originally the plan was to repair all the damage in the off season but selling of the park throws a lot of curve balls.

* There are COUNTLESS other good things that Paramount did for the park that gets overlooked just because either Paramount Fired them or because they're still upset because the flying eagles got removed.

*Moving Firehawk from Geauga Lake to KI doesnt exactly make Cedar Fair #1 in my book. Just because they can afford to move a ride they already own. They still have a lot to prove to me before I'll appreciate them they way I appreciated Paramount.

• Like 1

What about the climax of Adventure Express? The whole purpose of the second lift is just to get the train back into the station. Most of the rides takes part in a ravine, they had to have a way to get the train back to the station.

Yes but AE was not supposed to go directly into the break run. AE was supposed to make a quick and final drop back down into the ravine before it entered the ready brakes. Budget cuts killed that idea.

lol...i remember my first ride on AE (i was about 13 and TERRIFIED of roller coasters)....as we were coming up that final hill i was freaking out because i thought it was going to have a huge drop...haha my dad got a good laugh out of that.....

• Like 1

To the original poster, I hope you stick around. Granted, not the right foot to get off on, but I have made my fair share of complaints in the past.

I am sad to hear that ride crews are going downhill. After making my first visit to CP in 2000, I thought to myself, these are some of the best ride crews I've ever been around. Completely blew away KI at that time. About 3-4 years ago, my opinion changed so much that it was a complete 180 in that I was observing KI's crews had greatly improved all the meanwhile, CP's were losing that edge. Seems that it has turned back to CP's favor.

• Like 1

Delorean Rider-

You brought up many points, but have an intresting way of trying to show Paramount was better during the 90's than KI was during the 80's.

- Waterpark business is booming everywhere, and practically everypark has expanded someway in the last 10 years. It is also inexpensive to expand. Boomerang Bay could have been so much more than it is now, it is too bad the budget was on the low end. And I almost forget "Crocodile Dundee" needed to be attached to the name? Talk about giving the waterpark a black mark before you even enter it.

- Ambition for SoB? You could try and paint that picture. And the Titanic could not be sunk, even by god, defiantely one of the most "ambitious" statments in history. But has there been a ride that has failed more times or has been a bigger disappointment than SoB? The Beast put KI on the map back in 1979, and you insult the ride that put KI on the map with SoB? Again, SoB could have been so much more than it is now, it's too bad the budget was on ther low end.

- Creation of Action Zone? Well, perhaps. It sounded great before it opened. But one I went to the park and saw all the large movie posters, I then understood why they used the word "action". I also get a great laugh when people bash Cedar Point for being a cement city (which it is), but then turn around and promote Action Zone. What a joke! I remember what that area used to be like when KC was new and Lion Country Safari was still around. It was Busch Gardens-esque.

-Nick Central? Did they really put a lot of effort into the area to make it unique, or were a bunch of rides re-themed and spun to the public as new?

- Shows? The park was owned by a STUDIO! The quality of the shows should have been some of the best against any park. While in '99, they might have had 7 shows, in 2005 how many were there? (BTW, CP currently has 7 shows. And many other events during the day as well http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/show...?mode=shows#22)

- FearFest. Ok, what major amusement park does not have a Halloween event? They followed all the other parks. You can tell me that I am holding a grudge too long, but I remember in FearFest's early years I had to pay extra to get in, and I was a season pass holder.

- The recreation of Winterfest? Smoke and mirrors for the potential buyers, and again, failed miserably. I would rather have had no Winterfest at all compared to the half-a$$ event they put on. If they wanted to do it right, spend the $$ to do it.

- Paramount did remove the Flying Eagles, as the ride is no longer at KI. They also removed the Antique Cars for IJ? A ride that has not operated correctly from the beginning? And turned one of the most beautiful place in the park to something that looks like SF wouldn't even touch? Again, if your gonna do it right, spend the $$.

Paramount did some good things. Can't dispute that. I just don't like how they treated the park the last couple of years under their ownership. The general maintenance was half-a$$ed in many departments.

At one time, KI was one of the most beautiful, clean, well maintained parks out there. Leaps and bounds better than CP. It reminded me of what BGE is today. And it is difficult to swallow knowing what the park was, to what it turned into.

• Like 1

I think this thread is a healthy thread. A lot of great points being brought up.

But, the more I read what people have to say, I wonder one thing. Does Guest Relations REALLY LISTEN? Or is your comment card thrown into a pile?

I notice that a few people have had a genuine concern here on the boards about the employees text messaging. Lets say we were to tell GR. I am curious as to how they were to react. Would they attempt to fix the problem?

Its not that I want the person to get in trouble for texting, thats not the goal. I just want them to pay attention while they are driving the rollercoaster I am on. If they are looking down trying to hide the cell phone, they obviously cannot watch the ride. Thats not safe.

On the flip side. I realize how much of a pain guests can be to the employees. My job is of related nature. So when I am at Kings Island, I make special effort to appreciate the employees. I try to be polite to everyone from the "Litter Gitters" to the Ride Ops, and even the Management that walks around. After all, everyone who works there are the ones that keeps the park running for me to enjoy.

Lets keep this conversation going... Hopefully someone will see it.

• Like 1

Oh, they will.

And contrary to some of the people who own and run this site, I personally think that legitimate concerns posted here are probably MORE effective than complaining to Guest Relations. You see, under Cedar Fair, it has been my experience, both this year and in the past, that Guest Relations is relatively under-empowered compared to under Paramount Parks. Their primary mission is to keep the guests quiet, civil and get them out of the park without a confrontation. Actually doing something about their comments does not seem to be within the purview of Cedar Fair's Guest Relations. Paramount, and along with it, its guest satisfaction guarantee, has left the park.

Actually, that guarantee seemed to leave about the time that CBS, and not Viacom, took over the park.

I would hope they would listen. Safety should be the #1 priority. I have seen a lot of ops not paying attention to the rides while it's in motion. Usually though only on the flat rides. What is going to take? Someone getting seriously injured, I sure hope not.

I'm just as concerned with the new, apparently inane policies on some, but not all rides, of "you must carry on your assorted stuffed animals, cellphones, drinking glasses and assorted detritus with you on the ride" where it can then come loose and knock the sense out of other guests, if not worse... Why anyone could even think this might make sense hurts my head.

Guest kwindshawne
If you can't handle the job then maybe you should quit. I worked at KI, yes the job is very repetitive but it can be lots of fun too. I took my job seriously every day while at KI as an Associate. I think people have just changed especially young adults it's a different generation. I'm not saying you don't take your job seriously, but if you really feel that way then find another job. When I worked at KI we were told we could be the one to make a Guest have a wonderful day, or be the one to make that wonderful day be horrible.

I agree about Vortex crew and stacking trains, have of how that happens I see associate's taking there sweet time walking down checking, or they'll have one hand in there pocket and using the other to check bars with.

In 2001 we had to deal with the new exit gate. Yes that slowed us down, but we still didn't stack every train in the Safety's.

CoastersNSich why does your post say in 2000? I think you meant 2007?

We are being told the same thing..and I try to be as nice as possible...because if I was the guest, I would want the same treatment...most of the time it works..there's always one or even two in every crowd.

I just returned from Cedar Point and did a lot of observing on how things are there. The clientele is much different...seems more family type crowds up there..reminds me of the old KI on a larger scale. That was the biggest thing I noticed...and I didn't notice as much security either, (or trouble) which I don't quite understand yet...I didn't see a single line jumper or unruly teens. I gotta think some more.....

• 1 month later...