Beast Parts

Well, the correct terminology is footings. (Four years in architecture school talking). And, I believe that "slipped off" appearance you are referring to is the fact that the footings appear to shift an inch or so about a foot or two from the ground. This is caused by the how they were formed. That was the point where the footings originally emerged from the ground and transitioned to circular form work.

footings...footers

Does it really matter we know what he was talking about

Sure it does, whats wrong with using the proper terminology?

Well actually the term that was used may not be the one in the text books that you have studied but is a commonly accepted term by those in the trade.

• 1 month later...
footings...footers

some people don't under stand what your saying

EX:1)Griffion stands on 53 footings

OR

2)Griffion stands on 53 footers

number 2 just makes more sence

sorry for mis-spelled words

Good thing this thread is staying on topic. So is it common to keep spare track parts at the roller coaster site rather than a storage shed? Ive noticed this at a few rides in Cedar Point as well.

Yes.

Especially considering wood coaster maintainence is behind The Racer. If the maintainence guys find something they need to correct early in the morning on their walk they have it right there at their disposal. It is not uncommon for pieces of wood or steel rails, or especially a track bolts to need to be replaced every day. Why have to make a dash to wood coaster every morning when you could just accept the inevitable and keep it all on hand.

footings...footers

some people don't under stand what your saying

EX:1)Griffion stands on 53 footings

OR

2)Griffion stands on 53 footers

number 2 just makes more sence

sorry for mis-spelled words

Sort of like how people don't understand what you are saying when multiple ways of using spell check is right at your disposal?

Yeah, I don't want to touch the arguement of footers or footings...already seen an arguement about this over at pointbuzz. The conclusion they came to was...either is acceptable and no one is going to back down.

Anyway, I think Delorean Rider's response makes pretty good sense about keeping parts near The Beast instead of treking all the way to another section.

Actually, there was someone on Pointbuzz that was in the same field making the same arguement about footings.

I think, more likely it is footings that is the proper term if involved in that field. However, the coaster community widely accepts the term footer just the same. Personally, I could care less. And, you are right that there are many "experts" on Pointbuzz.

Well, I am not an architect yet. But I do have my Bachelors of Science in Architecture from UC.

The proper terminology if footings. However, many people in the actual construction trade, ie the actual people who build the buildings, often refer to them as footers. Footers is like the slang term. It is akin to saying "That is not true" which is correct grammatically, and "That ain`t true."

I just graduated from Bradley University with a Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering, and during my senior project, an engineer for Walt Disney World referred to them as "footers," but again it could just be slang. The point is, if you're talking about a "footer," people will know what you're talking about.

Actually, there was someone on Pointbuzz that was in the same field making the same arguement about footings.

I think, more likely it is footings that is the proper term if involved in that field. However, the coaster community widely accepts the term footer just the same. Personally, I could care less. And, you are right that there are many "experts" on Pointbuzz.

If you COULD care less, that means you DO care some.

Perhaps you meant you couldN'T care less?

--Terpy, who just saw one of his favorite pet peeves in a post...

^You are correct interpreter. I couldn't care less what anyone calls them so long as someone knows what is being talked about. My new pet peeve is double negatives. They didn't use to bother me, but for some reason, now it sounds stupid to me. For example, someone here at the airport said, "Well, I guess we aren't going nowhere." Which means, if you're not going nowhere, then you must be going somewhere.

Oh no. While I insist on calling them footings, and not footers. As I said in an earlier post, while the correct terminology is footings, the slang term often used by people in the trades.

However, it is incorrect to say that footings (or footers if you so please) are made of 'cement'. Cement is one ingredient in concrete. It is the glue that holds the sand and aggregate together. Cements chemical reaction with water (hydration) is what gives it its strength. (And no, the water in concrete does not simply "dry" or "evaporate." Enough on the lesson about concrete (I could go on, but I don`t want to bore anyone with more frivolous knowledge).