Move One Ride from Anywhere in the Country to KI

I'm interested in seeing how Guardian works at Canada's Wonderland.

They are marketing it as a roller coaster dark ride combo. It is going to have interactive parts, so I'm assuming shooter. I don't know how well that will work on a coaster.

Don't expect a coaster element. Sounds more like the dark ride will pull in front of 3D screens that will simulate a mine-cart during one scene. Like how Spider-Man was advertised as including "a simulated drop from 400 feet!" Doesn't make it a dark ride / Drop Tower combo.

• Like 1

"Riders will encounter mythical creatures as they navigate 1,000 feet of coaster track through a desolate forest, underground lake and Draconian City."

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/what-s-new/new-for-2014

So it is a dark ride with projected images of a roller coaster?

I don't think they have done a great job promoting and describing what this is.

• Like 1

"Riders will encounter mythical creatures as they navigate 1,000 feet of coaster track through a desolate forest, underground lake and Draconian City."

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/what-s-new/new-for-2014

So it is a dark ride with projected images of a roller coaster?

I don't think they have done a great job promoting and describing what this is.

No, they sure haven't. One promotional image. No construction updates, story, promotional art, concept art... Just a vague description and one picture.

My impression would but that it will be a roving motion-simulator dark ride like Spider-Man or Transformers (clearly not that high budget) and that it will pull up to screens that will simulate traveling through the environments. I just don't see how they could or would incorporate any roller coaster style elements into an interactive dark ride contained inside Wonder Mountain where riders are wearing 3D glasses. It may very well be 1000 feet long (that's an average dark ride) but the coaster track thing, I don't get. I'm not expected any coaster-ness though.

The only other thing I can think, if we're supposed to take the "1000 feet of coaster track" literally, is that it could be like Hersheypark's Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge dark ride that does appear to use roller coaster track and changes elevation, but is powered at the same consistent low speed throughout, even on the awkward finale that looks like it's going to be a roller coaster drop with an airtime hill (see 2:12 in

).

I could be wrong. I just don't expect that this will end up being a coaster credit by anyone's stretch of the imagination.

EDIT: Yep, visited the ride manufacturer's website and found this. Of their products, it's the only one that Guardian could be. Looks like it'll be like the Spider-Man ride, but budget. The final ride layout they show in the provided video looks very small, but probably about right to fit inside the mountain.

• Like 1

I love the idea of renaming the Action Zone "The Woods" or something similar. Next step, tear down those Xtreme Skyflyers and you'll have a plot of land for said dark ride/flat ride(s). I mean seriously, when your selling rides for $5, and giving away BOGO passes on Plinko, (which most people I've seen throw them away) you need to rethink things. As far as the upcharge attractions...Slingshot is the keeper.

I actually love Xtreme Skyflyer. I wish they could move it to a different location within the park. Next year with Banshee drawing more people to that area of the park, it might increase ridership. I know people that just don't go over to that side of the park - Flight Deck (Bat) was a long walk to get to and Vertigo just off the beaten path as well. Moving it to X Base would be kind of fitting. (Space perhaps not.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see moving it to X-Base. As far as space, there's a lot between The Racers and FOF that would most-likely fit the Skyflyers.

I personally don't see it ever making enough money again to warrant re-locating though. That would cost more money than the ride is probably worth.

A ride like Darkastle would be a great fit, but Spider-Man is way out of reach on the overall price tag alone.

• Like 1

I honestly would like a Top Spin. I think that for our region, Top Spin is a unique ride as I cannot think of anything closer than Kings Dominion that has a Top Spin anymore. If we were going to get one, I think I would want a suspended.

• Like 3

I love the top spins as well. After Crypt got removed I kept hoping we could get a new regular top spin put somewhere in the park. Would like to see one themed like the outdoor Tomb Raider/crypt top spins at the other parks. That or as a flat added to teh X-Base section. It would probably fit in well as a flight training ride. Pair it with a Screamin' Swing and maybe a Power Shot tower to be a training facility section to X-Base.

• Like 2

^ technically speaking, blue fire does not meet requirements of the question which was anywhere in the country. Nonetheless though, blue fire looks fun and would love to have it. In my original top spin post I wanted to say talocan but then did not because it was in Germany, not in this country.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would have to agree with moving in an existing top spin. I simply loved Tomb Raider and its original programs. I think making it an outdoor ride would be a bit more impressive than the eyesore of a metal box we have sitting at the bottom of Diamondback's first drop.

There are 2 steel coasters I have in mind. Both are launch coasters that really set up the launches well with a bit of set up. First is Volcano from KD. That simple slow turn is actually kind of suspenseful before the LIM's kick in and haul the train off. The 2nd has a bit of a longer pre-launch segment which is indoors, and that is Blue Fire from Europa Park. I know KI has a few launch coasters already, but those two just stick out in my mind.

For a wood coaster, as much as it wouldn't stack up to KI's capacity standards, any GCI would do. I'd probably narrow it down to Lightning Racer and Joris en de Draak from Efteling as they are both dueling coasters which would be slightly better for KI's capacity needs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...