"Rose Bowl"

Kawana

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you will know it when you feel it! :)

That's so true, but:

My last ride on Son of Beast (The very front seat) was the first time ever on SoB that I did NOT experience any jackhammering effect on that part of the ride. It was a pleasant surprise. That ride on Son of Beast was probably the smoothest ride I have ever had on a wooden roller coaster (at KI). It was MUCH smoother than my rides on recaR and The Beast that day. Plus the first hill is a whole nother experience in the front seat. I HIGHLY recommend that you try it.

So wait, are you saying that the Rosebowl is like meeting OSU inside a giant stadium, and forgetting your pads?

That's a good one, when you play OSU you have to take your pads off for it to hurt!!!!! Well with ND you can leave your pads on, it's going to hurt either way!!!!!!!!!

The rose bowl was horrid tonight in the blue train 2-1. I haven't felt roughness on SOB like that, since last year.

My ride on SoB today was the worst roughness-wise since last year as well. But my ride on it on Thursday was the BEST ride I have ever had on Son of Beast. Talk about inconsistency.

Tell me about it, I told the ops about how the ride made me feel, and they made me wait for a manager to tell them. But they still continued to run the ride. You'd think after last year having that problem in the rose bowl, and a rider comes back and complains about severe roughness they would have closed the ride and checked it out, guess not. Glad I wasn't the only one who could tell a much bigger difference for the worst.

I rode it in the 2nd to last seat Blue train....in the rain.... but it was still fun!

My ride on SoB today was the worst roughness-wise since last year as well. But my ride on it on Thursday was the BEST ride I have ever had on Son of Beast. Talk about inconsistency.

You rode SOB today :lol:

I rode yesterday in the last seat of both trains (yea 2 rides and the KIC event!)

They were both enjoyable. A little rough, but remember this is a 218' wooden coaster goin about 80mph.

The rosebowl was not as bad as the helix on beast, beast was angry yesterday morning and took it out on us guests!! :lol:

anyway it was an enjoyable day, and im glad that every is up and running again!

I rode yesterday in the last seat of both trains (yea 2 rides and the KIC event!)

They were both enjoyable. A little rough, but remember this is a 218' wooden coaster goin about 80mph.

The rosebowl was not as bad as the helix on beast, beast was angry yesterday morning and took it out on us guests!! :lol:

anyway it was an enjoyable day, and im glad that every is up and running again!

Hey TransAm78, it was killer doing the rides with ya last night. Man we did a lot of wood! At the end of the day my count was 1 Racer 1 SOB(Last seat) and 4 Beast rides with the last 3 being right in a row! Am a little sore today but its all good! Hope to hook up with you guys again soon.

How often is the wood going to be checked or replaced in the whole thing??? Not long before something else goes wrong with it i'm sure geez the thing is rough no matter is done to it or trains it has, the father is still the best its no where near that rough!!! ;)

The rides are inspected daily... ALL of them. Boards are replaced daily on all wooden coasters. That's why every once in a while the rides (especially the woodys) open late. That doesn't even necessarily mean that something was wrong with the ride. Sometimes it rains in the morning or the conditions are less than ideal and maintanance will wait until they feel it is best to "walk" the track. All of this is done in the interest of rider safety.

People were always saying how the loop was the smoothest part of the old ride, so why not make it the "World's Only Steel Rose Bowled" coaster?

Because people also said "aw the loop isnt wood, it's steel. Thats Cheating! Boo! It doesnt have a wooden loop it has a steel loop!" reguardless of the fact that it still had wooden rails running inside it. That and money.

...not to mention that, at least in my opinion, if Son of Beast were exactly as it is now, but glass smooth, it wouldn't be a very good coaster. The design is just lacking...and I don't just mean lacking a loop. It doesn't have very many transitions, it's not an airtime coaster, for the speed it has, somehow Beast seems faster (being the terrain coaster that Beast IS).

I fear a smooth Son of Beast would just be a blah Son of Beast.

At least it would greatly lessen the continual maintenance problems. But, as has been said, it is cost prohibitive to even contemplate.

Good post, interpreter.

I think SOB was just a poor design to begin with. The rose bowl is pretty intense, and the first drop is obviously good. But it seems like all of the other parts of the ride are just boring.. The trains just kind of glide over the hills; the turns aren't quick at all. It doesn't give that feeling of being out of control. I wish they invested in a Gravity Group or Intamin woodie (i.e. Voyage or El Toro) instead of SOB.

^For one, I don't think Intamin was building wooden coasters in 2000. I could be wrong. I really don't see a design problem either. Son of Beast is a 218 ft coaster and I'm not sure how tight the turns could be considering you are going a lot faster on SOB than The Beast. It's what...80mph compared to about 50 mph...HUGE difference. I think SOB has just proven that wood coasters were just not meant to be built that big.

Ok I think the design suck's really, its to plain. It needs something to make it stick out more, the loop was fun, but it was still kinda boring. I think it needed a second lift hill and I think it needed a tunnel. It needs a theme. Becuase if anything isn't theme, its Son of Beast.