"Rose Bowl"

Kawana

two years ago when I said that SOB's design was awful and even hinted at it's removal I was almost "boo'd" out of the stadium. SOB fans are lucky that CF has a penchant for record breaking costers or I'm betting pieces of SOB would be laying around campfires by now..... still could happen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOB is too big to remove. It would probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars just to tear it down, much less rebuild another ride in its place. However, if tearing it down leads to another coaster, I'd do it for free!

I rode yesterday in the last seat of both trains (yea 2 rides and the KIC event!)

They were both enjoyable. A little rough, but remember this is a 218' wooden coaster goin about 80mph.

The rosebowl was not as bad as the helix on beast, beast was angry yesterday morning and took it out on us guests!! :lol:

anyway it was an enjoyable day, and im glad that every is up and running again!

Hey TransAm78, it was killer doing the rides with ya last night. Man we did a lot of wood! At the end of the day my count was 1 Racer 1 SOB(Last seat) and 4 Beast rides with the last 3 being right in a row! Am a little sore today but its all good! Hope to hook up with you guys again soon.

I was there on the 4th as well, and I absolutely crushed rides that day. My count was 2 Racer, 1 SOB (front of blue train), and 4 Beast, also with the last 3 consecutively, I mean getting off the ride and right back in the queue. I definitely know how you feel, I was feeling pretty beat up, and I didn't fully recover until Monday. I learned a valuable lesson also, The Beast is fun, but riding it many times in a row isn't. IT HURTS. At one point I felt like I was going to break my right leg while I was in the right seat. Perhaps I wasn't situated in the seat correctly, but man did that hurt. I wasn't with the KI Central crew, but I hope to be next year.

SOB is too big to remove. It would probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars just to tear it down, much less rebuild another ride in its place. However, if tearing it down leads to another coaster, I'd do it for free!

Wouldnt cost that much, all you need is a wrecking ball!! lol

Ok, whoever started saying this has now turned into a rumor and others keep saying it like its the truth.

Stop and think about it. Does that make sense? NO. It is much cheaper to remove SOB. You no longer have ongoing maintenance costs, no operating cost, in short no more monthly bill for SOB. A new ride would cost way more than a wrecking ball. You are forgetting there is more than just construction, there is planning, project management, all kinds of workforce. Heck I am sure a bunch of us from KICentral would be happy to come and tear it down ourselves for free! (It's funny I can actually picture this).

Please stop this crazy idea that it is cheaper to rebuild SOB than tear it down. Common sense.

Who said anything about it being cheaper to rebuild? In fact, who said anything about rebuilding at all?

Also note above when I said:

"However, if tearing it down leads to another coaster, I'd do it for free!"

Man why does everybody hate Son of Beast?

First of all i will agree that it does kinda get boring after the former loop area (i wish they could have intamin or PTC design wooden trains that are light and can handle the loop) but i thought that i had heard that Sonny was supposed to have alot more track after the loop, (and maybe the second helix) but it would be longer than Beast, so the park had them redesign it to be shorter.

I dont know about you guys, but i enjoy sonny. It is a neat to see it ominously waiting over the Action Zone.

First of all i will agree that it does kinda get boring after the former loop area (i wish they could have intamin or PTC design wooden trains that are light and can handle the loop) but i thought that i had heard that Sonny was supposed to have alot more track after the loop, (and maybe the second helix) but it would be longer than Beast, so the park had them redesign it to be shorter.

I dont know about you guys, but i enjoy sonny. It is a neat to see it ominously waiting over the Action Zone.

thank you i totally agree with you why is everyone complaining so much so its rough wowwww cry and be thankful we have a good record breaer that is a fun ride if u take a few asprin afterwards or before we dont have mean streak on our hands here!

thank you i totally agree with you why is everyone complaining so much so its rough wowwww cry and be thankful we have a good record breaer that is a fun ride if u take a few asprin afterwards or before we dont have mean streak on our hands here!

SOB lovers unite! lol. I just learned that the front seat of the 'New' Son of Beast gives the second best ride in the park, next to his poppa, of course. If you had a rough ride on SOB, TRY THE FRONT SEAT. It's like a different ride.

I totally agree.

A much needed pain killer after being on a ride is OK as long as it is a record breaker.

Yeah, that makes sense.

*end sarcasm*

That is almost as bad of a comment as "only sit in XXXXX seat, it is a smoother ride". If it is such a good ride, why do I have to sit in a "special" seat? Or why do I have to be a geek enthusiast (you know you are too! :P ) to know where to actually get a seat that does not require traction when I am done?

ok i dont know about you, but isnt it neat to think that SOB is the only hyperwoodie, and is the tallest wooden coaster on the planet?

Last time i checked Voyage was steel structure and wood track therefore is NOT i repeat NOT a wooden coaster. Saying that SOB and Voyage are of the same design is like saying FaceOff and Topgun are of the same design.

By all accepted industry definitions, Voyage is a wooden coaster. Are you trying to tell us the Coney Island Cyclone isn't? The Great White at Wildwood isn't? Twisted Twins at Kentucky Kingdom? The Comet at The Great Escape isn't? I could go on and on but will spare you. Please. Surely you don't think Gemini is wood? After all, it has steel tubular track but is on wood supports (not unlike Adventure Express).

You can call it what you want, but the rest of us will call Voyage what it is: a wooden coaster.

By all accepted industry definitions, Voyage is a wooden coaster. Are you trying to tell us the Coney Island Cyclone isn't? The Great White at Wildwood isn't? Twisted Twins at Kentucky Kingdom? The Comet at The Great Escape isn't? I could go on and on but will spare you. Please. Surely you don't think Gemini is wood? After all, it has steel tubular track but is on wood supports (not unlike Adventure Express).

You can call it what you want, but the rest of us will call Voyage what it is: a wooden coaster.

No those examples are hybrids. Gemini is a minetrain coaster.

They are not considered hybrids by anyone in the industry.

Again, you can call them what you want, but the Coney Island Cyclone is considered the granddaddy of today's WOODEN coasters.

In any event, I doubt anyone would hold out Son of Beast as the ideal wooden coaster. Especially NOT Cedar Fair.

And Cedar Point has a minetrain coaster. Hint: It isn't Gemini.

I just learned that the front seat of the 'New' Son of Beast gives the second best ride in the park, next to his poppa, of course. If you had a rough ride on SOB, TRY THE FRONT SEAT. It's like a different ride.

I am never going to ride in the front of Son Beast again wow did that hurt more now, I have rode in the front with the loop and it did not hurt that bad.

For the person that said "SOB is too big to remove" why can't they just implode it. Sure it might cost a little but it will come down fast. Didn't they implode the coaster that used coaster trains came from?

I will never ride Son of Beast again unless something MAJOR is done to the track. I have ridden the ride two times. My first time was last May, and my second time was yeseterday. I thought it was a great coaster last year, but yesterday it was AWFUL. That was the roughest ride I have ever had on any rollercoaster, and they took out the best and smoothest part of the ride (the loop). I rode in the blue train and it felt like the train was bouncing up and down throughout the whole track. I rode with three other people who also said they would never ride it again. I never thought I'd say this, but the best thing to do with it may be to tear it down.

Ever hear of the phrase: "You can't get blood out of a turnip?"

Getting a judgment is part one of a court case. Sometimes collecting is far, far more difficult. And if the defendant doesn't have the money, they can't very well pay you. Ever hear of Roller Coaster Corporation of America doing anything in the USA lately? Perhaps there is a reason.

I'm sooo sick of all this Son of Beast Bashing. Bottom line: the ride is probably the most inconsistent ride I've been on. It can be TERRIBLEBLY rough in one seat and one row or car back or forward it can be one of the smoothest and best rides in the park. But still, it's an intense, huge, unique ride to the park, and IMO one of KI's current cornerstones. When It gives a good ride, it really is amazing, and my two rides in the very front (one red, one blue), were the best two ever on that ride- period.

So I'm done reading about all this negativity.

[leaving topic.]

I'm sooo sick of all this Son of Beast Bashing. Bottom line: the ride is probably the most inconsistent ride I've been on.

While you maybe upset with all the verbal bashing of SoB, many are upset with the physical bashing the ride gives.

So what is the solution?

Well, if you don't like the ride, don't ride it. And if you don't like to read all the negativity, avoid these topics.

... but you already figured that one out! ;)

Last time i checked Voyage was steel structure and wood track therefore is NOT i repeat NOT a wooden coaster.

WOW!

Hey TransAm, check this out:

http://www.rcdb.com/id3231.htm

http://www.rcdb.com/id14.htm

http://www.rcdb.com/id70.htm

http://www.rcdb.com/ is considered one of the best, if not the best, sites for coaster information. Thet are rather clear as to what is or is not considered to be a wood coaster with a steel structure or steel coaster with a wood structure.

voyage is wood track and steel supports!

Voyage.jpg

It also says type: Wood.

You know Son of Beast once had a steel frame loop with wooden track, I dont know you may not have been here long enough to remember. Anyway nobody went around saying that Son of Beast had a hybrid loop or that it wasnt a wooden coaster because of it.

There are two types of coasters in the industry: Wood, and Steel

Within those types are catagorys: Hybrid, Inverted, Standup, Launched, etc.

All you're doing is splitting hairs.