Church Buys Former "Surf Cincinati" Site

Church Buys Water Park

Worship Center, Sports Complex Planned.

FOREST PARK - The growing Inspirational Baptist Church is planning a $20 million investment over several years on the former Surf Cincinnati property here.

This week, the church, whose congregation has grown from about 300 to 1,500 over the last five years, completed a $925,000 purchase of the 14.2-acre Surf Cincinnati site from Hoeweler Realty Inc.

The outdoor water park, which featured a wave pool and a variety of slides, closed in 2002. The property on Sebring Drive overlooking Interstate 275 has been largely abandoned.

Bishop Victor Couzens, senior pastor for the independent Baptist church at 9208 Daly Road in Springfield Township, said the first phase of the project, expected to cost between $6 million and $8 million, includes a 1,500-seat worship center with a 300-seat chapel. The church also wants to build a 15,000-square-foot indoor sports complex with a roller-skating rink, and room for volleyball, soccer and other indoor sports.

Couzens said the church also plans to restore one of the swimming pools on the property, which, like the sports complex, would be open to the public.

"We want these facilities to be open to the community, so they can be part of revitalization of the area," he said.

A second phase calls for building a $10 million hotel and conference center on part of the property. Couzens said the church, which was founded in Walnut Hills 50 years ago, is in discussions with a hotel developer for that phase slated for 2010 or 2011.

Further in the future, he said, the church wants to build a $4 million social-services center that would offer job training, tutoring and other community services.

The church, which draws its congregation from an area stretching from Northern Kentucky to Dayton, Ohio, will launch a capital fundraising campaign this fall for the first phase of the project slated to begin in 2009.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../708030332/1076

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. That sounds like quite a project. My church would just like to finish the building we started 15 years ago (The church split before the sanctuary was built, and we've been worshiping in the fellowship hall since then)

I can understand the sports complex and social services center, but a hotel and conference center? I guess it would be a good way for bringing in money and business.

Churches are now in business. Sick huh? So much for non-profit. What happened to helping those in need I thought that is what a churches are for? And they wonder why people don't go to church anymore nor believe in em.

BTW ... this topic should have been under general discussion about other parks

not defending the "acts" of some churches... but there is a HUGE misconception that churches are ONLY there to help those in need or charity. That misconception is why millions that otherwise would not have darkened the doorstep on September 10, 2001 flocked to the seats on September 12.... and forgot why they came by January 1, 2002.

• 2 months later...

The purpose of purchasing this property is to expand the church and draw more people to the church. Why is it an issue when a church wants to be productive and expand not only there ministry but there business as well? Yes, church is suppose to help those in need. They are supposed to provide for the homeless and for those who can't do for themselves. But, how can we provide for these people without money, or resources. Food, shelter, clothing, money, etc. are not free. They cost! I am a member of this phenomenal ministry...yes, it's not just a church. The vision of our pastor is a broad one, but so was the vision of Bill Gates, Donald Trump, The Hilton's and etc. Why can't we have success within the church without someone questioning the sincerity of it. Come on people! Don't you think it's time to stop "hating" on the success of people. Why not join in, you just might be blessed by it as well!

The purpose of purchasing this property is to expand the church and draw more people to the church. Why is it an issue when a church wants to be productive and expand not only there ministry but there business as well? Yes, church is suppose to help those in need. They are supposed to provide for the homeless and for those who can't do for themselves. But, how can we provide for these people without money, or resources. Food, shelter, clothing, money, etc. are not free. They cost! I am a member of this phenomenal ministry...yes, it's not just a church. The vision of our pastor is a broad one, but so was the vision of Bill Gates, Donald Trump, The Hilton's and etc. Why can't we have success within the church without someone questioning the sincerity of it. Come on people! Don't you think it's time to stop "hating" on the success of people. Why not join in, you just might be blessed by it as well!

I see what you mean, I also hope there is some goodwill in the new plans not just another "church goes berserk and instead of opening a christmas soup kitchen opens a hotel and waterpark".

On a side note, we have big butter jesus, is a Moses made of cheese in the plans?