KI "Volunteer" Program in exchange for free admission?

tigellinus

A guy I knew who worked at PKI for like 3 years from 03-05 (in season pass processing, I think?) claimed you could volunteer for "a day" at KI (I don't know how long "a day" was), and in exchange you could get a free admission ticket to KI (presumably for a later date, and I don't know if there were restrictions) which you could presumably give to a friend who didn't have a season pass (if you already had one)....

So my question is, did/does this program really exist, and is that how it works??

it did, but I think since CF- its in the land of "used to exist."

It was a great deal for non-profit organizations.... and KI for that matter. Fund raising money plus tickets to go back... taxable donations for KI and PR/goodwill. A day was an 8-hour shift.

There may have been exceptions but my experience as a 30-something was usually pretty decent, and I think the 15 year old supervisors enjoyed bossing those of us twice their age around. By and large the experience was positive- but you got to see some gaps in the management style of the park at the time... ie- supervisors more interested in being a "cool" boss than actually managing them.

usually before school let out, and after school started back they had insane deals for volunteers. One year, we worked an 8-hour shift, our charity received $6/hr per person working..... and we each received 5 tickets to return..... one summer my wife and I had 36 tickets to go back.

I have participated in the volunteer program at Kings Island numerous times. I have "worked" shifts in Subway, at LaRosa`s during the first weekend of Winterfest in 2005, in picnics, and a shift in games during FearFest once each of the last two years. KI used to give out two or three tickets to return to the park at a later date. However, this season that policy has changed slightly, as they have eliminated most of the free ticket give aways. I believe that the entire group that volunteers will collectively get two tickets to the park (even if they had say ten people working a shift). It is up to the group then how to divide those two tickets amongst themselves. The program still does exist, however.

It is generally a fun way to raise money for organizations, while providing you with a glimpse of seeing the park from a different angle. It is slightly different to not be a guest in the park, but to be working and interacting with the guests.

But so, if two people volunteered then we would still get two tickets, right? As someone who *may* be moving back to Mason (and lived there for a year from 05-06), my fiance and I wanted to do it to get some free tickets for our friends and family who *don't* have season passes (like us), but who also come to Cincy often....and while we could pay the $50 for two people, it would also be an interesting experience just to try. But thanks for the info!!

There also used to be a "Friends and Family" program - not sure when this started, but it was still around in the late 1990's. You had to be a freid or family member of an employee in good standing. You worked one shift (8 hours) and got a free season pass for the next year. You could work up to 4 shifts and get 4 passes, which you could give to other members of your family.

My mom worked a couple of shifts in 1997 and 1998 when I worked at the park and got season pass vouchers for the rest of the family.

It was a pretty good deal!

And this was back in the day when volunteers could still work in any area of the park (including Rides).

There also used to be a "Friends and Family" program - not sure when this started, but it was still around in the late 1990's. You had to be a freid or family member of an employee in good standing. You worked one shift (8 hours) and got a free season pass for the next year. You could work up to 4 shifts and get 4 passes, which you could give to other members of your family.

My mom worked a couple of shifts in 1997 and 1998 when I worked at the park and got season pass vouchers for the rest of the family.

It was a pretty good deal!

And this was back in the day when volunteers could still work in any area of the park (including Rides).

When I worked for LaRosa's around 1999-ish, they offered anyone who was willing to work in the Festhaus a free season pass for working a day during the early seaon Math and Science Days.

dang, i wish they still had that. id work for a season pass, id do a ton of things for a season pass, but yet i still have not had one since i was like a little kid and never even cared i had one... they need to implement a program like that again... for the games, and food service positions. or maybe even the guys who clean up the park, that run around with yellow silly outfits, pushing water with brooms after a good rain and whatnot.