Possible another B&M stand up in the near future?

Changmanky

^I can only hope that was sarcasm.

I like the idea, but to be honest I'm surprised it took this long to develop. 4th-axis robots have been on the market for years now. Granted it's a little different to think of a robot being used for recreational purposes like a roller coaster. Still, the idea is good. There are literally an infinite number of possibilities with a coaster like that. But the new innovation only brings on more ways for a ride to break down.

The ride would need a lot of very hi-tech hardware on the trains. First, the train itself would need two different motors that were attached to very hi-tech sensors to tell the motors when to operate and for how long. Also, the trains would probably be immensely large and heavy, meaning that a stronger track would be needed.

I like the idea, but it seems like it would be a mechanical nightmare.

Having ridden version after version of the Robocoaster at IAAPA over the years...all I have to say is this: Sigh.

Boring then, then boring again, then even more boring. And then AMEC came up with yet another way of trying to sell the darn things. To my knowledge, they ain't been able to. That should tell you something.

As for cloning of rides, MOST of the visitors to theme parks frequent only one...or one and either the Florida or California parks. They couldn't care less if there are 2 or 200 other coasters like the new one debuting at their local park.

[quote name=I like the idea, but it seems like it would be a mechanical nightmare.

Are you saying that we should discontinue the advancement of amusement park rides because of the required maintinence. Personally in 20 years, I hope that the most advanced thing in the amusement industry is the dive coaster.

You yourself in your signature clearly love TTD. I think its pretty clear that this ride has been a mechanical nightmare. Not to mention if the operators even feel a slight mist, they have to shut down for rain. Even Dick Kinzel said TTD was the worst business decision Cedar Fair ever made. Are you wishing that TTD had never been built because of the mechanics?

All rides have problems. That doesnt mean they shouldnt be built.

Also as far as I know hasnt the floor show for the Robocoaster at IAAPA been rather...stationary. You can get in the seat and the arm will move around but as far as actual movement on the track there is very little to none. I think this ride has incredible potential, especially once its on a circuit. Obviously this wont be stuck on a 250 foot hyper coaster track, but I still think this ride could considerably raise the bar in terms of thrill ride experience.

I don't think TTD is a mechanical nightmare. TTD shuts down in the rain because quite honestly it would really hurt to be hit with rain at 120 mph. Also, other than that, it has been running beautifully all year. There is minimal down-time any more. The first season (I might give it two seasons) were for getting out the bugs. Now it runs well almost all the time.

I'm saying that robot coasters are far more advanced than ordinary coasters. Not only do they have the same issues as all coasters right now, but they have the additional issues on each train, and I'm sure that this poses a problem. Programming a robot is not an easy task. Getting it to listen to you is even harder. I'm curious to see if these rides ever get implemented. I'd say they're a few years out. And for the record, no, I'm not saying we should slow down. I'm just saying that I think that there is a good chance that the first park to invest in one of these rides is going to have a rough first year or two with it.

I don't think TTD is a mechanical nightmare. TTD shuts down in the rain because quite honestly it would really hurt to be hit with rain at 120 mph. Also, other than that, it has been running beautifully all year. There is minimal down-time any more. The first season (I might give it two seasons) were for getting out the bugs. Now it runs well almost all the time.

I'm saying that robot coasters are far more advanced than ordinary coasters. Not only do they have the same issues as all coasters right now, but they have the additional issues on each train, and I'm sure that this poses a problem. Programming a robot is not an easy task. Getting it to listen to you is even harder. I'm curious to see if these rides ever get implemented. I'd say they're a few years out. And for the record, no, I'm not saying we should slow down. I'm just saying that I think that there is a good chance that the first park to invest in one of these rides is going to have a rough first year or two with it.

Yea well people said the exact same thing about TTD when it opened. I think you'd be surprised at the abilities of the people that build these rides.

So have them build a robocoaster and allow them 2 years to get the bugs worked out. I see no reason why one could not be built next year provided a park wanted to fund one.

Only time will tell, I suppose. Who do you think would invest in a ride like that? I think Cedar Fair is somewhat on edge with their investments with the large debt and the "worst business decision Kinzel has ever made." I still don't really understand that... I think TTD was a great investment. Back on topic, I think the investment in Maverick is a sign of the direction that CF is looking to go. Nothing revolutionary, just modifying what is already out there to make fantastic rides. Now as to who may buy something like that... I could maybe see Busch Gardens trying it out, maybe SFMM, or maybe even Dollywood. All of these parks/companies have shown their desire to exhibit new ideas.

While on the subject of robots and coasters, look at Disney`s Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom (or Indiana Jones at Disney Land). While these rides are guided by a track, they have on board computers which control the pnuematics that allow for the ride vehicle to shake, turn and rotate slightly. While not on a coaster, the programming of these vehicles is likely very complicated. But these rides have been open for several years with minimal problems. Granted, there is a big difference between a dark ride, and using that technology on a coaster. There is also a big difference between a year round resort park like Disney or Universal and a seasonal amusement park like Kings Island or Cedar Point.

While on the subject of robots and coasters, look at Disney`s Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom (or Indiana Jones at Disney Land). While these rides are guided by a track, they have on board computers which control the pnuematics that allow for the ride vehicle to shake, turn and rotate slightly. While not on a coaster, the programming of these vehicles is likely very complicated. But these rides have been open for several years with minimal problems. Granted, there is a big difference between a dark ride, and using that technology on a coaster. There is also a big difference between a year round resort park like Disney or Universal and a seasonal amusement park like Kings Island or Cedar Point.

Except for Disnney and Universal, it looks like for now record breaking rides are not in favor right now. Especially for CF. I think the law of diminishing returns comes into play. TTD was extremely expensive. Attendance didn't jups as predicted and part of that the down time but you can onkly get so many people to Sandusky year after year. There is a saturation point for anything. CF installed 2 different Maverick coasters this year, one wood one steel. Neither one was record breaking but still great rides. I have talked to quite a few people tbhat have been to CP and they said Maverick is a great ride. I think you will really good coasters but will there be a record breaker anytime at KI ior any other CF park? Not likely.

Well, considering that Cedar Fair has a large amount of debt, I doubt you will see them building any major record breaking coasters anytime soon. Especially, as you said, the return on investment just isn`t there to jusitfy building such expensive rides. That doesn`t mean that they won`t build any roller coasters in the future, just that they won`t spend millions extra to be able to call their ride one of the 'est' in the world.

And personally, I was not a fan of Maverick. Yes the layout was awesome, but those restraints ruined the entire ride for me (both times I rode it) because of how painful it was in the transitions.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that CP is using OTSRs on Maverick. The Intamin Lap bars used on MF and TTD really secure riders in. And it can't be an "envelope" issue, because the restraints on maverick don't limit where your arms can reach. Seems like they could have used lap bars to me...

Intamin and secure lap bar restraints really don't go together.

Consider the issues with Perilous Plunge and S:RoS at SFNE.

CF has endured a great amount of criticism over shortening MF seatbealts as well as TTD. And instead of creating the same issues, they went with OSTR's for Maverick. The same restraints were ok for Stormrunner and KK, and there is no reason why they are not acceptable for Maverick. This is why it was shocking to some here that CF actually decided to go with Intamin again, myself included.

Breaking records is now a thing of the past. And records will be broken in the future. Just not nearly as fast as they were broken in the late 90's and early 2000's.

MF was $25 million. TTD was $25 million. Maverick was $21 million. Things are not getting cheaper.

With better/ greater technology comes a price. And there is no -est involved.

I was somewhat surprised to see CF go with Intamin again, but I was also glad to see it. I think Intamin designs fantastic rides that accommodate MOST of the people that visit parks. They designed the two coasters that have topped the Golden Ticket Awards since 2000. And I think their lap bars are very safe when used properly. I've been at CP twice now when people have unbuckled their safety belts while going up MF's first hill, and the ride immediately shut down. But even if they tried to get out, it's virtually impossible with those lap bars.

INTAMIN no longer offers the type of restraints found on Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster, at least not in the USA.

That sucks I like those, they are comfy. I hate the shoulder harness on the Maverick/Storm runner it bangs your head. You have to ride with your hands on each side of the harness.

Here we go with the stand-ups again. Though I am an avid fan of stand-up coasters, I don't see anyone investing in them for a long time. I always thought an inverted stand-up would be really crazy... with just a small platform for your feet.

I cant really blame anyone who does not want a stand up coaster because, and now dont get me wrong on this, they are only fun about the first 2 times you ride them because after that they either start putting tremendous amounts of stress on your legs. I rode Mantis last week at Cedar Point and i must say the first part of the ride, up until the inclined loop, is not that bad of a ride but after that it starts to kill your legs and is just not enjoyable any more. But i have wto give credit where credit is due, B&M have gave the stand up coaster a

touch that no one else can do. Now it will be just a short time before they shake up the amusement world once again by designing a new type of ride no one has ever seen before because they are just that innovative.

And also i have been wondering why the Intamin rides i have seen lately do not have the restraints that Milly and TTD have. I for one think Maverick would be quite a thrilling ride if it had trhem but i know that when you crest that first hill and go 95 Degrees that oyu would not have much to hold you in and i am a person that likes to hold their hands up but i would be scared if i did i would fall out.

If you read the last page, a couple of people explained why there won't be any more restraints like TTD and MF, at least in the U.S...Incidents with Perilous Plunge at Knott's Berry Farm and Superman:Ride of Steel at SFNE.

• 2 months later...
Guest rcfreak339
Well, even IF Darien puts that thing in, it won't be a new standup, it will be more than 2o years old! So, how's that change Browntggr's point? Answer: It doesn't.

ohhh! sorry didnt catch that! :wacko: