Are the gold pass speed lanes finished?

baseman478

The only real disappointment for me last Saturday was when I figured out that the speed lane weekends had ended. I was really upset. I mean, the perk is only on weekends in the first place, and on top of that it's only weekends in June and July! To me that's ridiculous. The park was packed on Saturday and there was NO reason why the walk on tickets shouldn't have been planned or at least offered that day. We would've been able to spend less time in hot line and more time in the cool festhaus if Saturday if we could've walked on rides.

<Sigh> I had to get that off my back.

That is a disappointment. I sadly only got to use the gold pass speed lanes once, but it was well worth it. I also used the double ride tuesdays, which was very confusing only having to flash your pass, and I could have sworn there were for than two rides for some people on The Beast, but o well.

We would've been able to spend less time in hot line and more time in the cool festhaus if Saturday if we could've walked on rides.

So the people that visit the park once a year should wait in line longer since you are able to walk by them and get on a ride?

And I was under the impression that the park was for everybody....

I liked the Speed Lane perk this year because they went back to the old system of not scanning your pass when you got your tickets. This meant you could go back as often as you wanted to get more speed tickets until they ran out. This was the system in all previous years except last year when you could only get one set of tickets a day because they scanned your pass.

If there is a big crowd of gold pass holders, it works out that you will only get one set of tickets because they will run out easily with a big crowd. However there are weekends where the park is not crowded with gold pass holders but mostly people who just do KI once a summer. If such is the case, there will be plenty of tickets left over after you use a set. What is so unfair about getting more tickets if no one is claiming them?

I keep reading messages from people who feel guilty about the speed pass perk existing. Why? I have no guilt at all as I am paying for it and the park is willingly giving it to me for being a loyal patron.

We would've been able to spend less time in hot line and more time in the cool festhaus if Saturday if we could've walked on rides.

So the people that visit the park once a year should wait in line longer since you are able to walk by them and get on a ride?

I agree with you Brown, KI executes their "Speed Lane" VERY poorly and they have every year its been in effect. Heck, they cant even get the right name for it, every year it changes between "Speed Lane" and "Walk on Weekends", I think it was back to Speed Lane this year at some rides and walk on weekends on the signs at other rides. I believe the perk is fine at places like Disney because even if your single day admission you have the option of paying for that perk but at KI you only get that option if you pay extra for a pass, so single day park goers dont even have the chance to purchase that perk like they would if they had purchased a Disney park hopper or single day admission. Then on top of that KI seems to fail to inform their pass holders that they actually need tickets with times on them to get through the lines, they dont tell you that in the brouchure or as you come in nor do they even tell you on the speed lane signs outside of the rides. Every time I rode The Beast in June and July people would hope out of line and into the speed lane because they would see the sign that said "Gold Passholders this lane only" and thought they could just use their pass only to get to the top and realize they needed tickets. At Disney they keep the lines seperate but at KI on rides like The Beast they have the lines running paralell to eachother and this causes quite a lot of line jumping incidents and confusion among guests who arent well informed of the way the perk works by the park. I love KI but their speed lane system needs some serious work.

The park IS for everybody. Just because a person has to wait 50 minutes to get on a ride instead of 45 doesnt mean the park isn't for them, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

I keep reading messages from people who feel guilty about the speed pass perk existing. Why? I have no guilt at all as I am paying for it and the park is willingly giving it to me for being a loyal patron.

Amen. I payed for the gold pass, so therefore I expect to be treated like gold. I payed extra for the perks, so my question was why can't they be available when I need to use them. Why would I feel guilty for those who have to wait? If they want the perks, they can pay for them just like we do.

If anything, maybe the walk-on passes should be available for ticket holders as well for an extra cost. But if the park isn't willing to do that, why should I have guilt towards anyone?

And yes, I agree the perk isn't executed very well, but once again that doesn't mean that the idea is unfair or not right.

The park IS for everybody. Just because a person has to wait 50 minutes to get on a ride instead of 45 doesnt mean the park isn't for them, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Amen. I payed for the gold pass, so therefore I expect to be treated like gold. I payed extra for the perks, so my question was why can't they be available when I need to use them. Why would I feel guilty for those who have to wait? If they want the perks, they can pay for them just like we do.

If anything, maybe the walk-on passes should be available for ticket holders as well for an extra cost. But if the park isn't willing to do that, why should I have guilt towards anyone?

And yes, I agree the perk isn't executed very well, but once again that doesn't mean that the idea is unfair or not right.

Wow wow wow.. hold up. You paid like $90 for over 100 days of visiting the park and you should be treated better than someone who paid nearly $50 for ONE day??

Read your own post. You know exactly what I am saying.

You are whining about waiting in line with the rest of the bottom feeders instead of being treated like gold so you can walk on a ride and then cool off in the Festhaus.

And the funny thing is, you even knew about the Speed Lane perk ending in July, and you are still complaining.

Disney, unlike anyone else in the industry, does NOT charge extra for its Flash Pass system. Universal DOES, unless you stay on property, and even limits how many are available, if any, and on what days. (At one point, Cedar Point had Freelane, but it was eliminated).

And the difference with speed pass on a weekend is not 45 minutes vs. 50. If it were, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Finally, I get the distinct impression at least a couple of posters here think it is okay to take more than one of something that is supposed to be limited to one per qualifying customer so long as they don't get caught. Is it also okay to shoplift so long as you don't get caught? There really is no difference.

Guest kwindshawne

I agree with you Brown, KI executes their "Speed Lane" VERY poorly and they have every year its been in effect. Heck, they cant even get the right name for it, every year it changes between "Speed Lane" and "Walk on Weekends", I think it was back to Speed Lane this year at some rides and walk on weekends on the signs at other rides. I believe the perk is fine at places like Disney because even if your single day admission you have the option of paying for that perk but at KI you only get that option if you pay extra for a pass, so single day park goers dont even have the chance to purchase that perk like they would if they had purchased a Disney park hopper or single day admission. Then on top of that KI seems to fail to inform their pass holders that they actually need tickets with times on them to get through the lines, they dont tell you that in the brouchure or as you come in nor do they even tell you on the speed lane signs outside of the rides. Every time I rode The Beast in June and July people would hope out of line and into the speed lane because they would see the sign that said "Gold Passholders this lane only" and thought they could just use their pass only to get to the top and realize they needed tickets. At Disney they keep the lines seperate but at KI on rides like The Beast they have the lines running paralell to eachother and this causes quite a lot of line jumping incidents and confusion among guests who arent well informed of the way the perk works by the park. I love KI but their speed lane system needs some serious work.

I don't like the speed lane policy at all. I think it encourages line jumping.

You are whining about waiting in line with the rest of the bottom feeders instead of being treated like gold so you can walk on a ride and then cool off in the Festhaus.

So you're saying that everyone that doesn't have gold pass Speed Lane tickets is a "bottom feeder"? Step off of your pedestal for ten seconds and take a look around.

I think its just another example of Cedar Fair's mishandling of the season (or Gold) passes. Personally, I'm not real worried about most of the Gold pass benefits, I just liked the free parking. I always wanted a season pass to KI, and finally, the last two years I've had one. But buying it and using it has been a little complicated and confusing sometimes, for sure. Next year I just may go back to buying single-day discount tickets when I'm in the mood to go. Which I imagine that Cedar Fair would prefer me to do, anyway.

I just don't understand all the complaints about the season pass procedures. Sure its not perfect as this is a transition year of new ownership.

But think about it. For just $125 plus an additional $75 ( or $40 if you were a current passholder in 2006 and renewed before the end of the season) you get a whole season of admission to KI, CP, GL and 8 other parks. You get free parking at KI,CP,and GL. On weekends at KI when the park tends to be crowded you get to walk to the front of the line on Beast, Italian Job, and your choice of Delirium or Drop Zone. ( and you can go back for as many tickets as you want depending upon how many Gold Pass members are at the park. ) You get to enter CP one hour early with the Joe Cool Club and the Resorts guests and ride Raptor, MF, Maverick and Dragster. And that is probably less than the cost of joining a swim club for the summer. ( And you get a swim club included with the above price with Boomering Bay for hot days.)

You have your right to your opinion but I am getting a little weary of people complaining about how horrible the Season Pass program is. It is your best value for the buck and I think Cedar Fair has bent over backwards to make it well worth it.

Whether people complain or not about the season pass program makes little difference, nor does whether or not any of us are weary of hearing complaints. Whether or not people collectively spend their hard earned money next year at Cedar Fair versus at the local pool, on DVDs, at Disney or for something else makes a LOT of difference.

Paramount Parks had the best season pass processing of anyone in the industry, bar none. Admissions and pass sales will tell the story next year. Time will tell.

So you're saying that everyone that doesn't have gold pass Speed Lane tickets is a "bottom feeder"? Step off of your pedestal for ten seconds and take a look around.

Dvo-

You and I are in agreement.

Read all my posts. ;)

This is the first year we have ever had season passes, much less gold ones. We got the gold simply because I ordered them just before the season started. Otherwise, mine would be blue, too. Anyway, I really don't see any distinction between reg and gold passes short of the double ride and speed lanes. And while we could have, we chose not to use those features. The one thing that COULD have made it better was to have parking included on the pass, instead of forking over $35. But it was a steal nonetheless. We went about 10 times this year. Excluding gas, that made each trip about $9.50 per person (admission only). Is there another park with 14 coasters, 5 great shows, and the best kiddie park in the world (imo) that you can get into for less than $10? Not hardly. My guess is now, since school is starting again, there will be much less crowd at the park, so you're almost sure of a walk on, esp during weekdays.

deb

My family has had season passes for the past 5 years. Frankly, paying $75 for a person for year long parking, KI and Boomerang Bay has been quite worth the money. I used to get Cedar Fair pass AND Paramount passes but I just got a MAXX pass instead this year. Can they improve some of the perks that Gold pass benefits? Yes. However, no one will convince me that Cedar Fair and Paramount passes were not worth the money I spent.

Talking about the Gold Pass perks, has anyone tried early ride days? How about the food discounts you get with Gold Passes. Getting into BB is also nice as well as being able to get in early. In some other parks such as Carowinds and Kings Dominion, you can get into the park early so you can get to ride some of the rides first. These benefits are more than what I paid for the Gold or MAXX passes. I will not complain because of waiting on lines just like everyone else.