Columbus Zoo Posts Zoombezi Bay Info

Wasn't there talk for awhile about us getting another coaster too, I don't know about the rest of ya but some of us don't really get into getting wet. I think my best friend put's on a life jacket when he takes a shower!

Um...what?

The Columbus Zoo is getting a new waterpark and a small traditional dry park with flat rides to entertain a family.

If you don't like getting wet just go to the zoo, or stay in the drypark!

I personally think that the Zoo needs less animals, cuz I dont know about you guys, but I cant stand animal noises! :unsure:

• 3 months later...

I was hoping they'd have a map up...I'm interested to see how everything will lay out with the new combined entry plaza, waterpark, and dry park.

I got a "Zoombezi Bay" sports bottle in the mail this week...I had voted on the "name your waterpark" web site last Summer, and apparently got it from that. (I also got two tickets to "Wildlight Wonderland" at the zoo with it...)

I can't wait! My family visited The Columbus Zoo for the first time this year. It is much nicer, cleaner, and in a safer area than my local zoo. Even the food is good! So is the live entertainment. I loved it so much that I would move to Columbus and take a full-time marketing job at the Columbus Zoo.

So, with the coming of Zoombezi Bay, I can only imagine how much more awesome this facility will be.

Best regards,

Italian Chef

Wasn't there talk for awhile about us getting another coaster too, I don't know about the rest of ya but some of us don't really get into getting wet. I think my best friend put's on a life jacket when he takes a shower!

Um...what?

The Columbus Zoo is getting a new waterpark and a small traditional dry park with flat rides to entertain a family.

I personally think that the Zoo needs less animals, cuz I dont know about you guys, but I cant stand animal noises! :unsure:

Are you serious? Are you honestly saying that you hope a zoo, let me clarify that again, a ZOO, needs less animals? The definition of a zoo is a place with animals, how can you say that a zoo needs less animals, that's one of the most insane things I've ever heard. It's like saying a candy store has too much candy or a forest has too many trees.

On another note the water park and dry park will be seperated from the actual area where the animals are kept, so if you actually dislike animals you don't have to see them to go to the amusement side.

We are Columbus Zoo members and we went to see the wildlights tonight. They have made a lot of changes since we were there last. There are more food options and they have people taking your picture when you come through the gates now. I could really do without that! I was hoping to catch a look at the water park but it was too dark. It does look like the coaster may have got a new paint job though. We will have to go back when it is lighter out so I can get a good look at what's going on.

We are Columbus Zoo members and we went to see the wildlights tonight. They have made a lot of changes since we were there last. There are more food options and they have people taking your picture when you come through the gates now. I could really do without that!

Yeah, I noticed that the last time I was there as well. The guy that's in charge of operations now was an exec with Six Flags (I think he was from the Mexico City park), and they seem to have made a lot of "theme park-esque" operations changes. While I also find the front gate picture takers annoying, overall, I think the operations changes they have made are good. I was there on a really busy Saturday in August, and the parking lot crews were doing a great job. I've also noticed a really big improvement in food service, which I always though was the Columbus Zoo's biggest weakness.

According to the Columbus Zoo's promotional material, it's now the third most attended zoo in the country (after San Diego and the National Zoo), which is pretty amazing considering it's located in a state with other outstanding zoos (Cincy & Toledo in particular...) I think borrowing some operations standards from the theme park industry is a good idea, and will really help take the whole new complex to the next level.

I was happy to see more food choices too, but we rarely eat at the zoo. That is one perk of being a member. We can go for an hour or so and leave. What I did notice is that they have a drink option now, a 32oz drink with souvenir cup for $6.00 with free refills. It would be nice if Kings Island would do this also.

I have always thought we have a wonderful zoo. They have made great changes to our zoo and I can't wait for the polar bears to come back. I would have liked to go over to see Fluffy but we were not able to stay very long since I have a child that is still recovering from surgery. We will have to go back to see him before he leaves the zoo. I think everyone should come and see our zoo since it is one of the best out there!

The Columbus Zoo is moving towards the Sea World/Busch Model for a facility. I not saying they will build a big B&M anytime soon, but who knows. If their new dry and waterpark area is as well themed as the pics, they will quickly become the best THEME PARK in the state and a major force in the industry. Cedar Fair may find that buying Geuaga Lake didn't eliminate the competition in the state. I hope the Columbus Zoo continue to grow and develop it property.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the zoo last weekend for "Santa Paws". What a neat time it was.

They gave some of the animals "treats" wrapped up in Christmas paper.

We arrived in the daylight, so we were able to get a peek at the construction over at

Zoobe...Zoome.....zome....Wyandot Lake. They look like they are really making some progress.

Added a bunch of new stuff, and you can see where the 2 parks are going to join together.

My daughter was most excited to see the addition of a big "toilet" or "funnel" ride. I was happy to see the fresh coat of paint on the Sea Dragon!!!

We always avoided Wyandot before. Not enough to do to justify the cost. Looks like I may be changing my mind now!

Um...what?

Are you serious? Are you honestly saying that you hope a zoo, let me clarify that again, a ZOO, needs less animals? The definition of a zoo is a place with animals, how can you say that a zoo needs less animals, that's one of the most insane things I've ever heard. It's like saying a candy store has too much candy or a forest has too many trees.

On another note the water park and dry park will be seperated from the actual area where the animals are kept, so if you actually dislike animals you don't have to see them to go to the amusement side.

You REALLY need to go back and read the posts before that...nothing about my post was even remotely serious and was posted over 4 months ago. Their was sarcasm bleading out the wazzoo on that post. The guy said that he didn't want a water ride added cuz he doesnt like water, I stated that the zoo needs less animals because I dont like animal noises (which is of course NOT true...I bet I love the COL Zoo more than anyone here...just ask Tycoonrebel) So it was SARCASM!!! And, notice the unsure smiley at the end of that statement.

Please read all the posts and understand them before you dismantle someone!

Fewer animals in the zoo? How about fewer books in the library, too? And less food in the supermarket? What abou fewer clothes in the department store?

Italian Chef, all I can say is wow! It sure is hard to judge the context of ones post when you take it at face value...3 months later!