Take a Ride Out

Neon

I don't see Iron Dragon or Corkscrew leaving CP anytime soon and they both are older or same age as Vortex.

I think Corkscrew was built in the mid 70's. I read that in a roller coaster history book. Please don't take this as though I am correcting you, this is just what I read.

So, I think that gives Vortex hope. I would hate for them to get rid of that ride, it's only twenty this year. It would be such a shame. :(:(:(:(:(

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again with The Vortex & Top Gun are being removed rumors again.

<_<

Neither ride is going anywhere, anytime soon.

There are many more rides in the park that would come down before TG or Vortex; but don't confuse my comment with thinking that rides should come down. Both rides have a rather good uptime percentage. And both rides have their specific place in the park.

IMO, it really sucks when any park feels the need to take a ride down. Sure, the parks have excellent reasons for making the decision for the ride removal, but I just really hate not only to see a good ride come down, but all the memories that the ride has given over the years get bulldozed over.

Yeah call me a sentimental fool...

^O.K. sentimental fool...

A lot of times I find my self talking with my daughter about different rides that "used to be there". Every time the conversation ends with...... Well at least you have your memories, and I have my Beast and shake rattle and roll. I don't think memories get bull dozed, as a matter of fact they grow stronger when I talk to my daughter about some of the rides that are gone now that she did not have a chance to experience. Also I think a rides reputation can be exaggerated as time passes and there are more and more people who did not have a chance to ride that particular ride. Case and point, the Screechin' Eagle at Lesourdsville lake. My first ride on it was a good ride, lots of air time. The last ride was horrible, almost no air time and the hill felt like it was going to fall down. Most people who have ridden it late in it's life think they got a great ride, well I am here to tell them that they got ripped off. All of this from memories.......good memories.

One other thing, I stopped at Toverland on my way to another job and was able to experience a woodie that rivals any in the US. I think this park is on to some thing big. (I wish they would come and manage KI)

http://www.rcdb.com/ig3589.htm

KI does not need to remove any of its rides, instead they need to use the other 1/2 of the land they own and do not use to add new rides. KI rides now are awesome compaired to other rides from the similar companies. (Vortex best arrow ever imo, SOB and Beast awesome woodies, FOF and IJ killer compacts, Firehawk great flying, TopGun very Intense but short for a suspended)

However

They do need a Giga Coaster and a B&M Dive Coaster....

Swampy

i really wouldnt like to see any of the rides leave because they are all enjoyable in some type of fashion. But if i had to pick one i would have to pick....... Adventure Express because when you remove that it gives you a little space to work with back in there.

Dude thats my Favorite ride and they have the best crew!

Which is a lot eaiser said than done. You cant just build outward onto your land building rides way out in the middle of nowhere then building paths to them. The park would end up like Six Flags America; mile walk just to and from Batwing. It's kind of like in RCT, if you just build rides and build long paths to them, guest's get lost and end up wanting to go home because its so far from one attraction to another. You've got to connect everything. Building out from the center of the park makes that harder, the farther you go.

On a side note, I was once told by an ops. manager that the the park would never want to take up all of it's land. Doing so would for one be too much to manage, and two cause the park to loose it's barrier with the surrounding community.

Also, "imo" if Vortex was the best arrow ever made, that's not saying much for Arrow. That's like saying the 1979 pinto was the best pinto ever made, either way, it's still a pinto. Anyway, metaphors aside, the best Arrow ever made was by far the Tennessee Tornado; mainly because Ron "I dont know what a transition is" Toomer didnt design it.

Okay I like Vortex and all but it is not by any means the best Arrow Looper coaster ever built. It's pretty much the same as most of Arrow's coaster same size loops and corkscrews as all but 1 other Arrow. Any guesses on what the best Arrow is........ IMO it would be their last Tennessee Tornado... this is the only one where they decided to think outside of the box. I mean a tunnel drop, very large first loop, then a butterfly loop. I really think that Arrow would still be here if they had thought like that before the end.

i really wouldnt like to see any of the rides leave because they are all enjoyable in some type of fashion. But if i had to pick one i would have to pick....... Adventure Express because when you remove that it gives you a little space to work with back in there.

Not to mention that AE leads the park in capacity every year.

Takes a darn good crew to be able to run 3 trains on that ride. :)

Also, "imo" if Vortex was the best arrow ever made, that's not saying much for Arrow. That's like saying the 1979 pinto was the best pinto ever made, either way, it's still a pinto. Anyway, metaphors aside, the best Arrow ever made was by far the Tennessee Tornado; mainly because Ron "I dont know what a transition is" Toomer didnt design it.

Tennessee Tornado is also another great coaster however they did take over 300 feet of track away to make it fit from the original design... Hince the incredible burst of airtime while on the breaks... But compaired to Carolina Cyclone, Corkscrew and many many others Vortex stands alone.

Back to the Post, dont take away... ADD!!!

Vortex, best Arrow ever made?

Pardon me while I clean the iced tea off my monitor. As others have said, Tennessee Tornado has that wrapped up. Close is Canyon Blaster at Circus, Circus...of the big multi-loopers, The Great American Scream Machine at Six Flags Great Adventure is far more intense than Vortex. Then again, if intense is your bag, I hope you didn't miss Steel Phantom at Kennywood. That baby was intense. And how.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not somewhere here, but I think DoT should be replaced with a Huss Jump 2. I haven't been on one yet, but they look like a lot of fun, and it would fit in a whole lot better with the Action Zone theme than DoT.

I would like to see the numbers for that one.

Especially since Racer has double the capacity against any ride at any time.

Your not taking into account how the block system works. Like DeLoreanRider said, it takes a darn good crew to get that thing moving at its best, and Marketing Express was one of those "darn good" crew members at one time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I love to drive go carts. Can't explain why...I just do. However, even though I've never been on Days of Thunder, it looks like a pretty crappy excuse for a cart track. It should have been made more interesting. Although I know it's themed to a movie basded on Nascar racing, which is just speeding in circles...yawn.

I would rather see an Intamin Hyper they are way better than Millieum Force. MF was too big for its own good and offers low amouts of airtime compared to other coasters.

DoT track is really horrible. Its just a plain oval. I mean come on put some thought into the track and have some turn and what not. The cars don't get up to speed either and I am just guessing here but if you don't know DoT is there it might be hard to see from the midway. Remove it and put in one of these things. http://www.ridetrade.com/fenster/r_simulat...asquierride.htm

Off topic here but I would love to see the Monster Replaced with this.

http://www.ridetrade.com/fenster/i_happyspider.htm

I would much rather have bigger more expensive better rides and attercations than a cheap one every year.

Paramount seemingly had the mentality that for every new ride installed, one or more must be removed. I, for one, want nothing to advocate that attitude, which Cedar Fair, to its credit, does not seem to share.

WWL for Maverick?

Somebody had to love that water ride! LOL

In all seriousness though...Eiffel Tower needs to go...that awful Eiffel Green eyesore dominates the skyline too much...looks like someone vometed at the top and let it trickle down (or tried to clean it with comet, take your pick) either way we can put a better ride there! Not to mention it blocks the guests on International Street's view of that great ride we refer to as IJ:ST!

Cory- Who in all serious seriousness completely agrees with The Interpreter!

That tower is sooo much of what Kings Island has always been - it has always been a part of their trademark - never remove the tower!!! COME ONNNNNNN that is one that should always be left there - just clean it up - give it a new paint job!! That is probably the most photographed thing at Kings Island!!

I would take out Son of Beast. How many more lawsuits and injuries will Kings Island tolerate until the park finally removes this troubled wooden coaster?

I agree on Son of Beast - it is often down more than it is up and tomb raider - every time I go that ride shuts down. Just think both rides are just a bit too dangerous - thrill rides are fine if they are safe and I honestly do not think either are that safe - I rode SOB once and got bruised badly. I have had friends on TOMBraider left upside down for long periods of time and that is very dangerous to the human body.