Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal Topic

Nate

Sorry for starting up a very dead topic but I rode this ride when I was quite young on more than one occasion. Indeed the ride is MUCH bigger than what is now The Wild Thornberry's River Adventure (aka Kings Mill). It was a very great ride and I miss it terribly.

This ride, The Smurfs and the ferris wheel stick out in my mind.

One could only wonder what it would be like to be able to re-live these rides. But some of us will never forget.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to dig up such an old thread but I just had to post. When my wife and I moved to the area last summer I had a chance to visit the park for the first time since the early-mid90s. As a young teen I loved KCKC and the King Cobra that was mentioned was my first loop I ever rode. Such nostalgia!

I knew when we went to the park last summer that the Cobra was gone but I had no idea about KCKC and actively sought it out for a bit. Another piece of sadness was while getting in line for Racer I actually told my nephew how much I liked the backwards one. Getting to the station was a bit awkward. Haha

Now that I have a season pass and go a few times per week and read this forum daily I am getting more like the rest of you daily though. I am hooked on the entire industry. I spent the last couple hours reading about coasters and parks bygone.

RIP KCKC, King Cobra and the backwards Racer.

• Like 6

Nope...the canoes were in a pond where Beast is now--many, many years ago.

Almost eight years late, but canoes were also where Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal was. The attraction, Kenton's Cove, only operated in 1972. The canoe ride where The Beast currently is was Shawnee Landing.

• 2 years later...

I'd love to see something added to Rivertown and keep all the water rides in close proximity to one another. There are days when I'll ride RFYLCB and WWC back to back because I'm already wet. I always thought Congo had low ridership because of it's location. I feel like more people would be willing to ride it if it was closer to other wet rides.

• Like 1

1. I loved KCKC as a kid and was very disappointed when they removed it. I loved the two conveyor belts to get to the top of the lift and the height of the ride amongst the treetops!

2. I agree with SOB on Congo. Wonder how much feasible it would be to move Congo to the old Crypt building spot (is there room there?) and then put a dark ride building on the spot of current Congo? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kikid74 said:

1. I loved KCKC as a kid and was very disappointed when they removed it. I loved the two conveyor belts to get to the top of the lift and the height of the ride amongst the treetops!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it just one conveyor belt and then two drops that were side by side with an operator switching boats between the two?

That conveyor/lift scared the absolute living hell out of me as a kid. 

Fun Fact: behind the Tomb Raider/Crypt/Crappy Haunted House Building there is (or at least was) a wooden shack. In that shack, even well after KCKC was gone, the pump controls for the old flume still remained with "Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal" still labeled on them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kikid74 said:

I agree with SOB on Congo. Wonder how much feasible it would be to move Congo to the old Crypt building spot (is there room there?) and then put a dark ride building on the spot of current Congo? 

I don't think many would be in favor of the crypt building in Action Zone. 

I started visiting KI regularly in the early '90's, and KCKC was one of those rides that got me hooked.  I love how it was "set-in" and interacted with the woods around it.  It's one reason I'm so happy about MT.  It has a very similar vibe, helped in no small part by it interacting with WWC.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I don't think many would be in favor of the crypt building in Action Zone. 

If that building isn't going to be torn town in the future for something else, I hope they find a regular season use for it. I feel like it's too big of a building to be used for just a haunt attraction IMO.

• Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it just one conveyor belt and then two drops that were side by side with an operator switching boats between the two?

That conveyor/lift scared the absolute living hell out of me as a kid. 

Fun Fact: behind the Tomb Raider/Crypt/Crappy Haunted House Building there is (or at least was) a wooden shack. In that shack, even well after KCKC was gone, the pump controls for the old flume still remained with "Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal" still labeled on them.

I for some reason remember it being one going half way and then another for he upper half?

And yeah the double drop I forgot about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, shark6495 said:

I for some reason remember it being one going half way and then another for he upper half?

And yeah the double drop I forgot about that.

Nope, just one lift.

• Like 3

I think what he was referring to is that the lift had two conveyor belts.  One lift, but it had one conveyor belt on the bottom and one on the top.  I remember KCKC having two conveyors as was mentioned above.  It also had dual drops.  The last couple of years the ride was at the park, it was in rough shape and in need of some tender loving care.

• Like 2

KCKC was a nice family ride in the "nature" of the park- and though it turned out to be a bust in the end... like Griffey to the Reds- you make that decision EVERY time.  TR:TR was a rare instance in Kings Island history where the deliverable exceeded the hype.  When it was introduced and working... no one longed for KCKC.

• Like 2

I think what he was referring to is that the lift had two conveyor belts.  One lift, but it had one conveyor belt on the bottom and one on the top.  I remember KCKC having two conveyors as was mentioned above.  It also had dual drops.  The last couple of years the ride was at the park, it was in rough shape and in need of some tender loving care.

That's what I thought as well but shaggy says no.... I may be thinking of another log flume.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:34 PM, CoastersRZ said:

Got it.  Yes, the single lift on KCKC used two belts.  It's also worth noting that for at least the last few years of operation only one drop chute was operational.

• Like 1

Man what a beautiful flume this was. Nicely settled just below the tree line. I'm still mad I didn't ride this. Loved watching it though.

I do think Diamondback and KCKC could've co-existed, however the layout would probably have been pretty different compared to how it is now.

I also think that if Paramount decided to keep the flume instead, Cedar Fair would've more than likely just taken it out for DB if the flume was in bad shape like it was supposedly before Tomb Raider came in.

• Like 1