Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal Topic

Nate

Simply put, the hydro flumes were not that thrilling of attractions.

What does the thrill of an attraction have to do with it being removed or not?

They werent very thrilling attractions and in their later years did not attract guests like they used do (or in some cases, never did) and usually when a ride is generally viewed as not thrilling by your general guests, that leads to low ridership. Low ridership, high maintenance costs, and being surpassed by other attractions in their own parks are what shut the hydroflumes down.

I can agree with taking a ride out for high maintenance/ operation costs, and to a lesser degree, low ridership. It makes sense. Why put money into a ride that guests don't want to be on? (insert SoB joke here)

I can't see on how thrilling a ride is has anything to do with their removal.

There are many ride that are just plain fun, that have no thrills at all (i.e. bumper cars, pirate ships, swings etc.)

As can be seen here, the Coal Cracker at Hersheypark has a 49 foot chute drop. As for not being thrilling or what it would be rated thrillwise these days, Hersheypark calls it a 4, saying:

*4* High Thrill Ride - This is a fast-paced ride experience with unexpected changes in speed, direction, and/or elevation. This ride may contain significant twists, turns, bumps, spins, and loops, and requires rider full body control.

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersh...q=yes&id=19

There is no minimum height requirement as such. The 4 rating is the same as the Comet and Lightning Racer.

See: http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersh...;pa=99&rt=1

Okay guys but what makes a Hydro Flume LESS thrilling that a logflume? Does getting soaked add more excitement as opposed to higher heights and speed?

Ohh and how deep exactly is KCKC?

Who said it was any less thrilling? If you're implying that KCKC is less thrilling than Wild Thornberrys because KCKC was removed then think again. There's not always a simple answer to every question. MANY factors led to the removal of KCKC. MANY factors led to the non-removal of the Log Flume. Also thrill is a matter of opinion.

Now let me get my yard stick out and measure the depth of the now defunct KCKC. Take a guess, you worked on flume, its probably about the same.

DeLorean Rider accelerating up to 88mph with a yard stick in his hand...

It last operated in 2000, and they started to tear it down in 2001, I remember watching them tear it down, when I would go on brake. I would take the long way to Oscar's through Rivertown and cut behind Wings just to watch them. TRTR opened in 2002, so it wasn't all that long ago when KCKC operated. I remember everyone thought PKI didn't like rides with KC as it's initials cause KC last operated in 2001. LOL

So I guess then it was removed due to maintainence costs even though I thought King's Mill was older, and queue lines being too short. I would have hated to witness it being torn down... wow, and lol at the "TR:TR not being the worst ride comment"

Remember, the smaller flume was completely rehabbed when it was kept. Both flumes were beginning to have very high maintenance costs.

So what you're saying is that a rehab would have solved a great deal of the maintenance costs?

Ahhhh, now I understand.

Paramount just used the most expedient method to solve the issue.

After all, it makes most sense to physically remove water rides from an area called Rivertown.

No, he's not saying that at all, your just trying to warp his words to make some sarcastic point.

All he was saying is that both flumes were accumulating a great deal of maintenance costs and for KI it at the time it made sense to renovate the smaller one and give it new life as a re-themed kids attraction where as they saw very little future in KCKC which was experiencing dwindling ridership and could use the land as room for a new attraction. Now I'm sure since you were a 1980's foods employee if you were in command of the park it would be in much better condition today with it under your wonderful guidance but thats not how it turned out. If you check out the link to Great Adventures flume I posted earlier you can see that they rehabbed their Hydroflume in a similar fashion to our Kings Mills log flume and even that didn't hold up for long.

Paramount just used the most expedient method to solve the issue.

You know, you always knock Paramount yet have nothing to compare it to. Try visiting the park and see how Debt loaded Cedar Fair is doing things, you may be surprised that Cedar Fair may not be any better than the old Paramount folks, although you haven't even visited KI under Cedar Fair's ownership, nor have you been to KI or CP in years.

• Like 1

The new waterpark at the Columbus Zoo is installing a new water flume made by Hafema Water Rides. I tried to locate a web site for them to see what some of their models look like, but the only site I could find listed for them (in German) wouldn't load for me.

Other than Duddley Do-Right at IOA, I'm not aware of any new flumes which have been built in the last several years in the US.

You know, you always knock Paramount yet have nothing to compare it to. Try visiting the park and see how Debt loaded Cedar Fair is doing things, you may be surprised that Cedar Fair may not be any better than the old Paramount folks, although you haven't even visited KI under Cedar Fair's ownership, nor have you been to KI or CP in years.

Speaking of warped...

Paramount had how long?

CF has had how long?

The changes so far have been encouraging. I may not agree with depositing extra money into a ride that does not deserve it, but at least CF had the testicular fortitude to pull the trigger and get the ride operating. They did what they had to do.

And that was in only in their FIRST year under heavy financial demands.

So, in comparison, the future is that much more brighter with CF.