Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal Topic

Nate

You know, you always knock Paramount yet have nothing to compare it to. Try visiting the park and see how Debt loaded Cedar Fair is doing things, you may be surprised that Cedar Fair may not be any better than the old Paramount folks, although you haven't even visited KI under Cedar Fair's ownership, nor have you been to KI or CP in years.

Speaking of warped...

Paramount had how long?

CF has had how long?

The changes so far have been encouraging. I may not agree with depositing extra money into a ride that does not deserve it, but at least CF had the testicular fortitude to pull the trigger and get the ride operating. They did what they had to do.

And that was in only in their FIRST year under heavy financial demands.

So, in comparison, the future is that much more brighter with CF.

And then what did they do? They removed their hydroflume for a ride called Maverick. What do you think Paramount did? They removed it for a ride called Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider's current state aside, under the management of Paramount, Tomb Raider was the most heavily theme'd attraction at the park. Not to mention it wasnt untill Cedar Fair took over that Tomb Raider really went down hill. Having to close off seats, was NOT Paramount's fault, that was Huss's fault. Just like the necessity to reposition the legs of Delerium in the off season after 2005, that was an error on Huss. In 2005, Tomb Raider ran steam, water jets, many more of the lights, the misters, the foggers, heck even the hazer would work when it was full. In 2005, when something went wrong, we called it in and they fixed it. In 2006 when something went wrong they disconnected it. I'm not talking about that part in the beginning when Paramount was still in control, I mean after Cedar Fair started taking control of the park, one of the first acts being, replacing the management in maintainence.

When Tomb Raider replaced KCKC in 2002, Tomb Raider was a bad ass ride. When that shiva got mad, you knew, her eyes would cut through you like razor blades. People went crazy for the ride, kind of like Maverick. Tomb Raider, like Maverick, made the park look good. Cedar Fair built Maverick for the same reason Paramount built Tomb Raider.

I agree with Coach Bombay.

OK. So CF removed a ride for the same reasons that Paramount did. But the results for CF has been a much better ride. Chances are, the best ride for 2007 for any park. CF spent the money for Maverick, whereas Paramount built TR with the same type of cash flow as they did for SoB. And, ironically enough, treated the ride the same as SoB as well as IJ. Promote it like crazy, then let it go to the junkyard.

Now Paramount let TR go down hillway before CF ever took over. That is easy to determine since all of the pre-ride themeing was not even operating much of 2006 BEFORE CF took over. But instead of blaming the owners of the park, you are going to blame the builder which built the ride in 2002. Now the ride is down. Why? CF is cleaning up Paramount's mess, the same way CF is cleaning up the SoB mess.

Paramount was supposed to be a THEME park. It really is too bad they let the THEMEING go on all the rides they put in.

When Tomb Raider replaced KCKC in 2002, Tomb Raider was a bad ass ride. When that shiva got mad, you knew, her eyes would cut through you like razor blades. People went crazy for the ride, kind of like Maverick. Tomb Raider, like Maverick, made the park look good. Cedar Fair built Maverick for the same reason Paramount built Tomb Raider.

I'm sorry but TRTR never EVER made KI (PKI) look good. How does another ugly warehouse-looking building make it look good? The ride itself was mediocre at best. After the first ride, there's really not much to look forward to. And no one can blame CF's maintenance staff for what happened to the ride. People make it sound like CF went in and broke the ride themselves. Not the case. It's just an aging ride that broke down big time after years of wear and tear.

Maverick is a completely different story. The ride is beautifully themed along the perimeter of the park, and will be fun every time you ride it.

OK. So CF removed a ride for the same reasons that Paramount did. But the results for CF has been a much better ride. Chances are, the best ride for 2007 for any park. CF spent the money for Maverick, whereas Paramount built TR with the same type of cash flow as they did for SoB. And, ironically enough, treated the ride the same as SoB as well as IJ. Promote it like crazy, then let it go to the junkyard.

Now Paramount let TR go down hillway before CF ever took over. That is easy to determine since all of the pre-ride themeing was not even operating much of 2006 BEFORE CF took over. But instead of blaming the owners of the park, you are going to blame the builder which built the ride in 2002. Now the ride is down. Why? CF is cleaning up Paramount's mess, the same way CF is cleaning up the SoB mess.

Paramount was supposed to be a THEME park. It really is too bad they let the THEMEING go on all the rides they put in.

First off, yes the fact that the ride only ran 56 seats instead of 77 seats 04-06 WAS Huss's fault.

Second, Cedar Fair confirmed the purchase of Paramount in pre-season. The park had barely been open for a month. All of the effects were still operable in the beginning of 2006, but it was under the direction of CF that the "wet effects" didnt operate untill the affect of them on the ride could be properly evaluated for rust, wear, etc. Then it was decided that any of the effects that involved water would no longer operate as they were "rusting the ride". Also it was not uncommon for not all the effects not to work in preseason as was often the case in the past. I can attest that the boiler was inspected and approved by the state to run in 2006, with a simple command from Cedar Fair it could have been turned on aswell as a flick of the switch for the misters, and drum of fog juice for the foggers and misters. Now what happened this year, in addition CF discontinued the bubblers and the lava spurts.

Right now there is a 3/4 full drum of fog juice sitting next to the statue of the bramah for the fogger in antechamber, but did Cedar Fair care enough to even run antechamber? Nope!

Thirdly: I'm glad that you brought up the whole THEME park thing because you know, Cedar Fair is the epitome of themed rides. All their parks are just FILLED with stellar examples of how a themed attraction should be. Just look at Maverick, a red tracked coaster themed to:

1 : an unbranded range animal; especially : a motherless calf

2 : an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

and man does it show it! At least Paramount tried. TR's themeing was great untill CF decided to buy the park.

I'm sorry but TRTR never EVER made KI (PKI) look good. How does another ugly warehouse-looking building make it look good? The ride itself was mediocre at best. After the first ride, there's really not much to look forward to.

Yea cause you know, every time I ride a ride a second time there are so many new experiences. Once I rode TTD I already knew what it did, wasnt really anything to look forward to. Once I rode maverick, eh... wasnt really anything else to look forward to. You know now that you mention it, FOF's a pretty crappy ride to. Sitting in that big warehouse-looking building. And you know I guess being a level 5 thrill ride does make it pretty mediocre. Infact, all of those other thrill rides like Delerium that just swings back an fourth, or Drop zone that just falls to the ground, they're all pretty mediocre. Good point.

Because Webster's Dictionary really applies to ride names...

Maverick is themed like a wild horse ride, and if you've been on it, you can see that they did a great job with it. And common sense will tell you that if you keep getting steel mechanisms wet every day, it's going to corrode. A round of applause for Paramount and Huss on this one.

Well then I guess we should just build tents over every steel ride in the park so that none of the rides get rained on.

Yea, I'm sure that Mavericks themeing in its first season is better than Tomb Raiders in it's first season. :wacko:

Also, no family walks down rivertown and says, ew what an ugly building, its so ugly, I definately dont want to ride whatever's in that ugly building. They see the cave and wonder what's inside the building. They come up to the greeter position and ask the person a million questions about whats inside. If anything the building just adds to the anticipation of not knowing what's inside.

I don't know which ride is themed better. TRTR is a crappy ride that was improved immensely by its theming, whereas Maverick doesn't really need it, but is that much better because CP took the time to do it.

Well then I guess we should just build tents over every steel ride in the park so that none of the rides get rained on.

Yea, I'm sure that Mavericks themeing in its first season is better than Tomb Raiders in it's first season. :wacko:

Also, no family walks down rivertown and says, ew what an ugly building, its so ugly, I definately dont want to ride whatever's in that ugly building. They see the cave and wonder what's inside the building. They come up to the greeter position and ask the person a million questions about whats inside. If anything the building just adds to the anticipation of not knowing what's inside.

You're right because they're still in shock after seeing Italian Jobber.

After looking at that ... is the ugly building really that bad?

So, Deloreon Rider, by your estimates about water effects and covering everything with tents, Paramount should have enclosed Adventure Express since it was Paramount that turned off the misting effect on that coaster. See, it's not such a dumb idea afterall.

Maverick's theming is far better than Tomb Raider: The Embarassment :o

Not to mention that TR:TR is a horrible excuse for a top spin, giant or not.

So, Deloreon Rider, by your estimates about water effects and covering everything with tents, Paramount should have enclosed Adventure Express since it was Paramount that turned off the misting effect on that coaster. See, it's not such a dumb idea afterall.

Maverick's theming is far better than Tomb Raider: The Embarassment :o

Sarcasm is a dead art...

We'll see how great Maverick's themeing is after it's been around for 5 years. Cedar Fair seems to have a knack for allowing themeing to deteriorate or be removed.

This just makes me laugh because there is no basis for this. KI never tried to pass Tomb Raider off as a topspin, they wanted to create a heavily themed thrill ride. The ride wasn't installed to do four topspins, like everyone seems to want, and even if it did, you all would just complain that Tomb Raider just flips you around and never interacted with the themeing.

I guess I was just unaware that mr KIBeast was the connoisseur of topspins. :wacko:

• Like 1

Well let's see.. Maverick has water bombs inside the turn around the lake, but they don't spray the ride. Very rarely, they have mist inside the launch tunnel. They probably installed that and second-guessed it when they thought about the corrosion that might take place. Other than that, the theming on Maverick doesn't do any damage to the ride, so I'm willing to bet that the theming in 5 years is.... well... exactly the same.

I was never confused about your sarcasm. But, your point was CF turned off the water effects due to rusting of TR:TR. At the same time, I'm telling you that Paramount turned off the water effects on AE due to rusting. And you think turning off the water effects is a bad idea and only an idea that came from CF...no?

I'm not a connoisseur of top spins, but I sure as hell know when a ride is boring or not.

Maverick's theming is static, therefore the only thing that could go downhill would be loss of color of painted canyons due to the sun. There isn't much of any theming.

I was never confused about your sarcasm. But, your point was CF turned off the water effects due to rusting of TR:TR. At the same time, I'm telling you that Paramount turned off the water effects on AE due to rusting. And you think turning off the water effects is a bad idea and only an idea that came from CF...no?

I'm not a connoisseur of top spins, but I sure as hell know when a ride is boring or not.

Maverick's theming is static, therefore the only thing that could go downhill would be loss of color of painted canyons due to the sun. There isn't much of any theming.

I've heard the fog in AE was turned off because it affected the smoke alarms.

^^ hahaha :lol:

I'm trying to picture this..

A man walks down Rivertown while KCKC is still there, and he sees the entire ride. A tall, exciting yet peaceful flume ride that winds around the treetops, and has a very short line.

Another man walks down the Rivertown path now, and he sees a Jeep, a line of people going into a cave, and a big warehouse-looking building. The ride is named after a game/movie about a scantily clad woman shooting guns.

I think I'd rather see KCKC.

• Like 2

On that note, probably one of my greatest memories at KI was working Tomb Raider during fearfest, I believe either the second or third week of Fearfest, when entertainment decided to load the center of Rivertown with fog machines, including placeing on inside the cave. I guess it never occured to them that the cave was loaded with smoke detectors. Wouldnt you know that, those smoke detectors did their job, all night we watched as the smoke level indicator climbed from 1 to 11, 10 being when the alarm goes off.

Second, Cedar Fair confirmed the purchase of Paramount in pre-season. The park had barely been open for a month. All of the effects were still operable in the beginning of 2006, but it was under the direction of CF that the "wet effects" didnt operate untill the affect of them on the ride could be properly evaluated for rust, wear, etc.

So Paramount was taking directions from a company that had no financial stake with them, about a ride that is themed to one of their movies that ultimately reflects on their movie company?

I would also really like to know how CF "confirmed" the purchase of the parks in the pre-season.

I was always under the impression it is up to the lending companies to confirm if a puchase is going to go through or not. Hence the reason why the sale did not go through at the end of the 1st quarter, but at the end of the second quarter.

So now, should I be under the impression that if for some reason that the sale did not go through, then Paramount would have fixed the themeing later in the year?

Second, Cedar Fair confirmed the purchase of Paramount in pre-season. The park had barely been open for a month. All of the effects were still operable in the beginning of 2006, but it was under the direction of CF that the "wet effects" didnt operate untill the affect of them on the ride could be properly evaluated for rust, wear, etc.

So Paramount was taking directions from a company that had no financial stake with them, about a ride that is themed to one of their movies that ultimately reflects on their movie company?

I would also really like to know how CF "confirmed" the purchase of the parks in the pre-season.

I was always under the impression it is up to the lending companies to confirm if a puchase is going to go through or not. Hence the reason why the sale did not go through at the end of the 1st quarter, but at the end of the second quarter.

So now, should I be under the impression that if for some reason that the sale did not go through, then Paramount would have fixed the themeing later in the year?

And if you remember, we were all taking bets on the board as to when the sale would be finalized. Soooooo.... Essentially CF had no control of the park for pre-season.

DeloreanRider, just remeber, the old food employee and random guests know way more about TRTR than you and if they were there the park would be a zillion times better

What was I thinking? :blink: Where did I get off thinking I knew anything about my ride for 2 years. I'm sure those who ride TRTR once in a blue moon know way more about Tomb Raider than I'll ever know.

Yes, the fog machines did not get along with our smoke detectors very well. The mist machines caused problems to the steel track though.

DeloreanRider, just remeber, the old food employee and random guests know way more about TRTR than you and if they were there the park would be a zillion times better

What was I thinking? :blink: Where did I get off thinking I knew anything about my ride for 2 years. I'm sure those who ride TRTR once in a blue moon know way more about Tomb Raider than I'll ever know.

Also don't forget that working a ride doesn't necessarily mean you know a whole lot about it either. Checking lap bars or running a control panel doesn't exactly require a Phd.

^But waiting in line for it and sitting down on it while it's in operation does require a PhD?

I'm not saying that I like Tomb Raider, but I'm also sure as hell not going to say that I know more about it than a 2-yr supervisor of the ride.

Believe me, I could tell you more than you could imagine about Tomb Raider the Ride. I've gone alot more indepth with Tomb Raider than most employees do; more than that I cannot say. There's a lot more to Tomb Raider than meets the eye.

Not all employees just want to check bars all day, there are those who have a significant interest in the rides, especially their own, and will do whatever they can to learn as much as possible.

Believe me, I could tell you more than you could imagine about Tomb Raider the Ride. I've gone alot more indepth with Tomb Raider than most employees do; more than that I cannot say. There's a lot more to Tomb Raider than meets the eye.

I've heard about some of your antics, Mr. Nick. :rolleyes:

Don't think the above comment was directed towards you.

I've heard about some of your antics, Mr. Nick. :rolleyes:

Don't think the above comment was directed towards you.

No comment...;)