Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal Topic

Nate

It seems like Kings Island has declined a bit since Paramount took over. It's almost like they are trying too hard to be like Six Flags, focusing all their attention of theming rides after marketable films. In passing hands between Paramount, then to Cedar, and now onto God knows who (yup, Cedar put the franchise up for sale already), they've demolished a number of memorable rides and totally killed the atmosphere of the old park.

My list of complaints is as follows:

1- They painted The Beastie PASTEL PURPLE???? WHAT THE HELL...

2- The proceeded to rename The Beastie the "Fairly Odd Coaster" and put two fairies on the front? Huh? Maybe the vulture standing guard over the entrance to the ride may have been a little frightening for kids, but come on! It's a roller coaster, for crying out loud! It's supposed to scare you!

3- The ripped out KCKC, which made its debut in the 1964 World's Fair, for what appears to be a derivative tumbler ride based on one of the worst movies I ever had the misfortune of seeing. Of all the adventure movies paramount produced, they went with what is by far the worst. They could have themed it after Indiana Jones. It would still be the same dysfunctional ride, but at least the source material would be Oscar quality....

4- King Cobra. OK, the thing was old. It was old, and it was also a prototype. There's no way it could have competed with the bigger, badder rides in the park, and I understand that. Still, I have fond memories of watching the grown-ups' faces contort as they hit that trick-track towards the end...

5- Phantom Theater was a good haunted house. Perhaps Disney World's is better, but not by much. Apparently, that ride was also just a little "too scary" for kiddie land, so they gutted it and turned it into an interactive ride similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disney. It's more irritating than scary, and all the "special effects" consists of is neon paint and black lights. A travesty, I say.

6- What the hell is with the Beer Garden turning into "Bubba Gump Shrimp"? Don't get me wrong, the food was never "food" in the strictest sense of the word, but at least the Beer Garden had character. The park's in South Western Ohio, for crying out loud, we Krauts love our outdoor alcohol-peddling venues!

I realize times change and rides don't last forever, but it just seems to me that each successive owner of Kings Island treats its past with less and less concern. It's all about building bigger, faster, shinier. Just wait until it becomes "cost ineffective" to maintain The Beast...

It seems like Kings Island has declined a bit since Paramount took over. It's almost like they are trying too hard to be like Six Flags, focusing all their attention of theming rides after marketable films. In passing hands between Paramount, then to Cedar, and now onto God knows who (yup, Cedar put the franchise up for sale already),

Actually Cedar Fair is not up for sale. Read this here: http://blog.cleveland.com/business/2007/07...port_of_sa.html

they've demolished a number of memorable rides and totally killed the atmosphere of the old park.

My list of complaints is as follows:

1- They painted The Beastie PASTEL PURPLE???? WHAT THE HELL...

2- The proceeded to rename The Beastie the "Fairly Odd Coaster" and put two fairies on the front? Huh? Maybe the vulture standing guard over the entrance to the ride may have been a little frightening for kids, but come on! It's a roller coaster, for crying out loud! It's supposed to scare you!

The ride was actually changed due to the whole kids area being re-themed from "Nickelodeon Central and Hannah Barbera Land" to "Nickelodeon Universe", not because The Beastie theme was "Too frightening". The Beastie became themed to a popular kids t.v. show on Nickelodeon known as "The Fairly Odd Parents". I know you may be upset that they got rid of the name "Beastie" but hey, some people were just as upset as when "Scooby Doo" became "Beastie".

3- The ripped out KCKC, which made its debut in the 1964 World's Fair, for what appears to be a derivative tumbler ride based on one of the worst movies I ever had the misfortune of seeing. Of all the adventure movies paramount produced, they went with what is by far the worst. They could have themed it after Indiana Jones. It would still be the same dysfunctional ride, but at least the source material would be Oscar quality....

Well KCKC, didn't make its debut at the worlds fair, but the Arrow hydroflume did. KCKC toward the end of its life was a maintenance nightmare as were many other hydroflume and most have them have been removed from parks. Six Flags Great Adventure suffered similar problems with their KCKC and it eventually left this world the same way KI's and CP's did. Theres a good article about it here.... http://www.amusementpics.com/Hydro%20Flume.htm

As for the Indiana Jones thing, Paramount couldn't theme any ride to Indiana Jones as since Speildberg and Lucas owned the rights and sold them to Disney. THis is why you have the Indiana Jones stunt show down at MGM. Adventure Express does play Indiana Jones music in line though, although not "officialy" themed to Indiana Jones.

4- King Cobra. OK, the thing was old. It was old, and it was also a prototype. There's no way it could have competed with the bigger, badder rides in the park, and I understand that. Still, I have fond memories of watching the grown-ups' faces contort as they hit that trick-track towards the end...

King Cobra wasn't removed because it couldn't "compete" with more modern stand up rollercoasters, in fact its clone and a similar model still operate at Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland. KC was made of a lower grade Japaneese steel that lead to sky rocketing maintenance costs towards the end of its life. During its final years it would often up late due to the fact that maintenance crews were out there performing welding work. It's cousins at Dominion and Wonderland were built of higher grades of steel and continue to operate today.

5- Phantom Theater was a good haunted house. Perhaps Disney World's is better, but not by much. Apparently, that ride was also just a little "too scary" for kiddie land, so they gutted it and turned it into an interactive ride similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disney. It's more irritating than scary, and all the "special effects" consists of is neon paint and black lights. A travesty, I say.

I dont remember the park ever saying they removed Phantom Theatre because it was "too scary" but the attraction in that building traditonally changes about every 10 years. It was time for something new, of course as an adult, im assuming your an adult, you wont enjoy the scooby ride as much as younger kids were. I can see where you would be mad that PT got removed, i LOVED it too, but just as many people were made when the smurfs were given the boot for a Haunted Mansion rip off.

6- What the hell is with the Beer Garden turning into "Bubba Gump Shrimp"? Don't get me wrong, the food was never "food" in the strictest sense of the word, but at least the Beer Garden had character. The park's in South Western Ohio, for crying out loud, we Krauts love our outdoor alcohol-peddling venues!

Last time I checked even though the name and food changed slightly it is still an outdoor alcohol-peddling venue.

^ Excellent points.

I despise some changes too.

King Cobra wasn't removed because it couldn't "compete" with more modern stand up rollercoasters, in fact its clone and a similar model still operate at Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland. KC was made of a lower grade Japaneese steel that lead to sky rocketing maintenance costs towards the end of its life.

I still question the whole "Japanese steel" theory.

Only because, if it was bad steel, then it was bad. But then how can you try and sell the ride WITH bad steel?

It just does not add up.

I dont think it was necesarily "bad" but it was of a lower grade and didnt age as well as its cousins which were made of a different grade.

I may be tempted to believe the steel to be of inferior quality. KC was really just a prototype; I believe the clone at Kings Dominion is supposed to be the "final draft" of TOGO's stand-up.

However, one of the reasons cited for the removal of the Cobra was "lack of interest" by park-goers. It isn't that it was a bad ride, but it certainly didn't hold a candle to burn to The Beast or Vortex in terms of notoriety and drawing power. From what I heard, and again, this is just rumor, that management couldn't justify spending money on maintenance when not that many people were lining up to get on it. A better investment strategy would be to tear the thing down and get a "better" ride... Firehawk, for instance.

I dont think it was necesarily "bad" but it was of a lower grade and didnt age as well as its cousins which were made of a different grade.

I may be tempted to believe the steel to be of inferior quality. KC was really just a prototype; I believe the clone at Kings Dominion is supposed to be the "final draft" of TOGO's stand-up.

However, one of the reasons cited for the removal of the Cobra was "lack of interest" by park-goers. It isn't that it was a bad ride, but it certainly didn't hold a candle to burn to The Beast or Vortex in terms of notoriety and drawing power. From what I heard, and again, this is just rumor, that management couldn't justify spending money on maintenance when not that many people were lining up to get on it. A better investment strategy would be to tear the thing down and get a "better" ride... Firehawk, for instance.

That theory has been blown to hell and back simply with maintenance and redesign costs associated for SOB and the fact that they continue to try.

Up untill the 2006 accident SOB had relatively very good uptime where King Cobra towards the end of its life had quite a bit of downtime. KC and SOB are not the same rides so just because SOB is still around does not disprove the KC theory about its removal due to sky rocketing maintenance costs and iffy reliabilty, which was proven true by the man who contributed these photos of the ride who is a former steel coaster maintenance worker at the park. The maintenance done on SOB is not the same done on KC, different strokes for different folks so to speakl. If it was cheaper for CF to just give up and tear the good ol SOB down, than im sure the current debt loaded Cedar Fair would have already gone that route.

Okay guys, I read the topic link posted about hydroflumes but there is no information on them! It just says HYDROFLUME and has other links but nothing on topic, or at least I haven't been able to find it??

I'm still confused on the differences of log flumes and hydroflumes. The only difference I understand is that KCKC had water flowing down the hill while the Wild Thornberry's only had spritzers. Other than that I do not understand the hydroflume differences...

I get it that they are higher, but are all of them being ripped out now? How are they inferior to log flumes (I still see log flumes up...)

my computer was being stupid, sorry. I got it all downloaded and understand the hydroflume now:)

So, are there any hydroflumes like/as tall as KCKC ?) (Arrowthat are still running or are they all gone?

I heard about Coal Cracker but it looks shorter heightwise and I'm not sure it's still up.

Okay, so somebody said that ridership for KCKC was low it's final years. Why would KCKC's ridership be "supposedly" lower than King's mill (Wild Thornberry's)?

KCKC was both taller and faster. The only thing I could understand was how nasty the water was although when I was riding it I was young enough not to care.

I guess they had it in a freaking pond or something?

I kind of fell back in love with the older water rides at KI this summer. I think it would be neat to get a newer version of a water ride in the park. I would think it would be a lot cheaper than a roller coaster (maybe not). It would steal a little thunder, maybe, away from the Columbus Zoo's new park opening...

Okay, so somebody said that ridership for KCKC was low it's final years. Why would KCKC's ridership be "supposedly" lower than King's mill (Wild Thornberry's)?

The decision was made by multiple factors, not just one.

High maintenance + low ridership + land already developed (flat) = removal