More open area

beastrider97

I think you have been to Dorney Park. (Or worse, Michigan's Adventure, though it was like that when Cedar Fair bought it).

Seriously, unnecessarily removing trees is not a good idea. It makes for a very hot park, takes away ambiance, and upsets the "green" folk among us.

That all being said, the old Cedar Fair did it a LOT. In recent years, they have started to save as many trees as possible.

I remember when Kings Island had only saplings in most of the park. It looks ever so much better now. On the other hand, all those maturing trees must mean someone is getting old! :)

Personally, I'd like to see every bit of the old black, cracking asphalt removed from the park. As a former general manager of the park used to say, it makes the place look like a "cheap carnival." Not to mention how hot it is on the feet on a hot day. Dazzling concrete like at Dorney is not an ideal solution either. Pavers or tinted concrete is far better. At the very least, paint the asphalt like Busch and Great Adventure have done in places.

I think you have been to Dorney Park. (Or worse, Michigan's Adventure, though it was like that when Cedar Fair bought it).

Seriously, unnecessarily removing trees is not a good idea. It makes for a very hot park, takes away ambiance, and upsets the "green" folk among us.

That all being said, the old Cedar Fair did it a LOT. In recent years, they have started to save as many trees as possible.

I remember when Kings Island had only saplings in most of the park. It looks ever so much better now. On the other hand, all those maturing trees must mean someone is getting old! :)

Personally, I'd like to see every bit of the old black, cracking asphalt removed from the park. As a former general manager of the park used to say, it makes the place look like a "cheap carnival." Not to mention how hot it is on the feet on a hot day.

I haven't been to either of those parks. But it would be nice because they have oly used I think 1/4 of the land but I mean I would keep alot of trees.

Years ago, when I was a kid, didn't the walkways used to be painted colors. When did they start just leaving the black asphalt, because it makes for a miserable day on sunny, humid days. Was this a tactic to get us to buy sodas??? As for the area not developed, I am still crossing my fingers for another campground, so I can spend days upon days there at the park, like I did in the past.

The portion of the land developed is actually higher than 25 percent. And they certainly won't be removing trees from the undeveloped portions of the property, for many reasons...the trees help to control erosion, are scenic and have little merchantable value for timber. Put simply, there is no economic justification for the expense, especially at a time when the company that owns Kings Island is in so much debt. And there are sound reasons for NOT removing them.

And as long as I can remember, the asphalt has always been black. Only International Street and the newer areas of the park don't have it.

I've been going to Kings Island since its opening day. The ONLY painted asphalt I ever remember is the painted Beast footprints, and at one time the logo for Vortex was painted every few feet in what was then Old Coney.

Busch Gardens in Williamsburg used to have a LOT of red asphalt. Perhaps that is what you remember?

Wow....I sure don't remember that...but back then I wasn't as focused on park infrastructure as I am these days! :) I'll gladly take your word for it, but I'd also love to see the picture!

I did find this one, but I sure don't remember the pavement, whatever it was, looking like this!

http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/pki29a.html

I also have some original postcards showing this, it's like it will be asphalt and instantly change to a color and then back to the asphalt. I love looking at my old items all the time, gives me a piece of mind. I have over 1200 pieces of memorabilia in my Kings Island room at the house

The portion of the land developed is actually higher than 25 percent. And they certainly won't be removing trees from the undeveloped portions of the property, for many reasons...the trees help to control erosion, are scenic and have little merchantable value for timber. Put simply, there is no economic justification for the expense, especially at a time when the company that owns Kings Island is in so much debt. And there are sound reasons for NOT removing them.

And as long as I can remember, the asphalt has always been black. Only International Street and the newer areas of the park don't have it.

I remember when the asphalt was pulled up on International Street. Believe it or not, many thought that was a bad idea to put the paver stones in as they thought the upkeep would be to much. Thankfully, those that did the design were ahead of their time.

There have been areas of painted pavement but it has been reserved for around the attractions. You don't really see it any more as it makes for a slick surface when wet.

It's okay. Also look at this:

http://www.coastergallery.com/2000/pki09.html

I'm just stunned...I don't know how such a drastic change slipped by me! :)

I wonder what year it went to black? This sure isn't!

Are the photos somehow playing games with us? This is supposedly 2003!

I'm pretty sure thats asphalt in the picture, its just a very bright picture and seems like its a little over exposed.

• 3 weeks later...