A question for the SERIOUS old skool KIers

fbama73

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, Flight Commander. I remember the first day it re-opened after the accident. Me and my buddy road in EVERY single seat (as you could guess there was NO line) to make SHURE we rode in the same one she did. Ahh, the Twisted perversion of youth.

And yes, it did re-open for a short time before it was removed.

Out with Nickelodeon, Back in with HB. Vote, don't renew!!!!

OLD SKOOL KI'er.

Flight Commander was one of the scariest rides in the park. Those pods rotated kind of slowly, so you always had the feeling you were going to fall out. Of course after the accident, it had even more of a scare factor when riding. darn noisy ride though. You could hear that thing all the way down Coney Mall.

I remember when they announced it- I thought it was going to be the coolest thing ever. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed by it. Not disappointed enough to not reride, though :)

If my aging memory serves me, didn't they open it, Zephyr and Skylab all at the same time? Wow, opening three flats in one year- what a concept. Not like the Paramount years where they tried to close three flats per year.

Ahh, Flight Commander. I remember the first day it re-opened after the accident. Me and my buddy road in EVERY single seat (as you could guess there was NO line) to make SHURE we rode in the same one she did. Ahh, the Twisted perversion of youth.

And yes, it did re-open for a short time before it was removed.

Out with Nickelodeon, Back in with HB. Vote, don't renew!!!!

OLD SKOOL KI'er.

Flight Commander was one of the scariest rides in the park. Those pods rotated kind of slowly, so you always had the feeling you were going to fall out. Of course after the accident, it had even more of a scare factor when riding. darn noisy ride though. You could hear that thing all the way down Coney Mall.

I remember when they announced it- I thought it was going to be the coolest thing ever. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed by it. Not disappointed enough to not reride, though :)

If my aging memory serves me, didn't they open it, Zephyr and Skylab all at the same time? Wow, opening three flats in one year- what a concept. Not like the Paramount years where they tried to close three flats per year.

Zephyr and Skylab opened before Flight Commander.

But they did open three flats that year:

Skylab, Zephyr, and they replaced the original Dodgems ride (that was where Attitudes is now) with the one they have today, which caused the Flying Eagles to move from that pad to back to where three point challenge is now.

I think the Cinema 180 also opened at around the same time...

But they did open three flats that year:

Skylab, Zephyr, and they replaced the original Dodgems ride (that was where Attitudes is now) with the one they have today, which caused the Flying Eagles to move from that pad to back to where three point challenge is now.

I think the Cinema 180 also opened at around the same time...

It was all part of the redo of Coney Mall.

Skylab, I thought, was one of the most fun rides in the park.

I would be SO happy to see something go in where the bungee thing is...and if they would RE-OPEN the concession stand there. I HATE to see those things closed up...as well as the one by IJ (behind the tower)...that REALLY bugs me to always see those two closed up.

Skylab, I thought, was one of the most fun rides in the park.

I would be SO happy to see something go in where the bungee thing is...and if they would RE-OPEN the concession stand there. I HATE to see those things closed up...as well as the one by IJ (behind the tower)...that REALLY bugs me to always see those two closed up.

Skylab was never quite the same after the "accident". The wheel used to go almost vertical before the accident, but after, it never seemed to get to the vertical position again. I seem to remember it SBNO for a while. Once it was disassembled, it sat in the bone yard for many years. We had a fixture trailer in the bone yard, and were up there several times a week. I recall the day they were loading the skylab cars onto a flat bed, going to where I do not know. Does anyone know if another park bought it? Looked to still be in decent shape, but pretty dirty from years of sitting in storage.

The giant hydrolic arm on it went out on it 3 times in its lifetime, on the third time, the ride was removed.

I must admit, skylab was probably the coolest ride visually at night in coney mall.

Oddly, skylab was the first giant Huss (giant enterprise wheel) ride the park installed, the first of many problematic giant Huss rides.

Skylab was one of my favorite rides for a long time. But I remember it breaking down all the time. I remember going to the park three times in a row, and every time it was tilted up a little bit because the arm was broken. It seems like it would be an easy ride to maintain, too.

Skylab was one of my favorite rides for a long time. But I remember it breaking down all the time. I remember going to the park three times in a row, and every time it was tilted up a little bit because the arm was broken. It seems like it would be an easy ride to maintain, too.

Yea but as it goes with all the giant Huss rides, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

As Boddah indicated, the affected rides were slated to close at 8PM due to concerns about the noise from the rides interfering with the concert.

This is a concert, not a church service.

I have a difficult time hearing the person next to me at a concert, so hearing a ride make noise 100' behind me is a non factor.

Now throw in rides in like Firehawk and AE being closed and it just doesn't add up. Why would those rides have negatively affected the concert due to noise?

Because if you've ever been in Timberwolf, the sounds of the park tend to echoe though the ampitheater. If it was something that was announced and there was legitimate reasoning behind the shut downs, I don't think there is a real issue. And if we're only talking from 8pm on..... That's not really that major.

I was at the Sean Hannity Freedom Concert earlier this month, and Congo Falls, Drop Zone, Face/Off and Son of Beast continued to run, except for a short time when thunderstorms were in the distance.

lol flight comander what a POS! I remember I think it was the year after Water Works was the newest attraction reading in the papers about how "now you can fly with flight comander." and then shortly thereafter somebody died on it. I finally got to ride the ride in 1994, and thats when I realized it truly was a POS. Can't believe they ever hyped it up. Hey look at me I'm in a car that moves really slow and I can spin it upside down!

I'm glad that ride's long gone now! But I didn't realize it was in the spot of the trampolines. Thought it was where the swings currently are at.

lol flight comander what a POS! I remember I think it was the year after Water Works was the newest attraction reading in the papers about how "now you can fly with flight comander." and then shortly thereafter somebody died on it. I finally got to ride the ride in 1994, and thats when I realized it truly was a POS. Can't believe they ever hyped it up. Hey look at me I'm in a car that moves really slow and I can spin it upside down!

I'm glad that ride's long gone now! But I didn't realize it was in the spot of the trampolines. Thought it was where the swings currently are at.

Shortly there after?

Hmmmm, you may want to consult the history section for time lines as to when Water Works opened, when Flight Commander opened and when the fatality was.

Maybe that's short after in your book, but not exactly.

I enjoyed it more than eurobungy because I wont' get on Eurobungy because its not included with park admission. At least i could get on the flight comander, but I remember the advertisement for it clear as day, and I envisioned a real flight simulator. I figured they'd have like video or something in those planes and make them spin faster, so you acctually felt like you were in a jet. I just got on the thing, spun it in circles, and then rides done, on to The Vortex to make up for that POS.

Flight commander was a lot of fun. It may have rotated slowly, but it allowed the guests to take the ride into their own hands. My favorite was turning the car sideways looking out. That was pretty fun. Still no match for the eagles ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Flight Commander was pretty bad. In the commercial they showed a huge joystick controlling the movements. In reality it was a little knob that just clicked in four different directions. It opened in '90 because I rode it during Grad Night. And the accident happened in the summer of '91 because my roommates from UD wrote me because they were shocked that there were three deaths in one day at the park.

And Halle's Comet was located by the entrance to Vortex. The ride was removed when they started construction of The Bat.

Anyone remember when Skylab was removed from the park for one entire season because they were having issues with the arm? Skylab wasn't in the park for the 1992 season, they had a special 20th anniversary thing where Skylab was. However it did reopen in June of 1993. I still really miss Skylab and Flight Commander. I remember they had a auto spiel at Skylab that would remind people to sit 2 per seat and 4 per car. I also loved the lights at night.