Hanna Barbera character at KI?

CMHDave

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to add to the rumor or anything but I was talking to an employee during my first trip out there who seemed to know alot about the park. He said the Nick Contract is up next year and Cedar Fair has no interest what-so-ever in re-signing it.

But somehow it seems false to me. I mean when KI switched splat city to phasing our HB land and replacing it all with Nick Universe they got awards for the best kids area. Why would they want to loose that? I'm sorry but HB's time is dead. No one cares about Scooby Doo, Jetsons or Flintstones anymore.

What else I find weird however is that Nickolodeon is through Universal, not Paramount, so I wonder how Paramount ever had the right to use them.

Not to add to the rumor or anything but I was talking to an employee during my first trip out there who seemed to know alot about the park. He said the Nick Contract is up next year and Cedar Fair has no interest what-so-ever in re-signing it.

But somehow it seems false to me. I mean when KI switched splat city to phasing our HB land and replacing it all with Nick Universe they got awards for the best kids area. Why would they want to loose that? I'm sorry but HB's time is dead. No one cares about Scooby Doo, Jetsons or Flintstones anymore.

What else I find weird however is that Nickolodeon is through Universal, not Paramount, so I wonder how Paramount ever had the right to use them.

Well the awards that they received are called Golden Ticket awards. Really nothing special if ya look at the list as a whole. It's pretty obvious that they're "get what ya pay for/political awards."

The key is if a section brings in revenue verses if you get an award that really is not based upon actual public reaction.

a. Most park employees (unless their JOB is giving out public relations type information) are NOT the most reliable sources of information. The Nick contract has three more seasons to run.

b. Universal does NOT own Nickelodeon. Viacom, the former owner of Paramount Parks BEFORE CBS, does. Universal only licenses it from Viacom, no different than Cedar Fair now does. Why do so many people think Nick is owned by Universal? Snoopy is at Cedar Point, but I've never heard of anyone thinking Cedar Fair owns Snoopy! (Snoopy is owned by Universal Features Syndicate, which is not the Universal of Universal parks).

c. Cedar Fair is VERY interested in renewing the Nick contract. Analysts ask about progress on the renewal talks on EVERY conference call. And Viacom seems interested in expanding Nick licensing. See the recent action at Mall of America and in licensing Nick to overseas parks.

Isn't Nick Studios, where everything nick is filmed at, in Universal Studieos florida? Thats why I assumed Nickolodeon was owned by Universal. As for the rest I figured it was false. Sponge Bob is obviously a lot more popular with kids these days then the Flintstones. wouldn't makes sense for CF to kill it.

Actually while both Universal parks license Nickelodeon charecters, Orlando was the only one to feature Nickelodeon studios where through the 90's a majority of live action Nick shows were filmed as well as a few live action Nick Jr. shows, most of the GAS shows, their game shows, and Slime Time Live. As of 2005 Nickelodeon shut down its filming operations on sound stages 18,19, and 21 and now does most of their filming in Burbank California, New York, and Vancouver. Nick studios is no longer based at Universal. In January 2006 the majority of the theming was removed from the "Nickelodeon back lot" area.

Interpreter, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Nickelodeon themed resort hotel outside of Walt Disney World? I can't remember if that is part of the Disney resort system as I remember it being fairly close to where we stayed in 2004, does Disney pay to license Nick entities from Viacom then?

Interpreter, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a Nickelodeon themed resort hotel outside of Walt Disney World? I can't remember if that is part of the Disney resort system as I remember it being fairly close to where we stayed in 2004, does Disney pay to license Nick entities from Viacom then?

Not meaning to steal Interpreter's input (I'm sure he'll still chime in :)) , but yes, you are correct that there is a Nick themed hotel *near* WDW (*near* being the key word). It's a Holiday Inn property that was redeveloped with a Nick theme. It's not located within the WDW resort or owned/operated by Disney. (So, obviously, Disney would have no responsibility to pay anyone licesning money for it...)

However, the owner/developer of this particular Holiday Inn franchise (not necessarily the owner of the HI brand itself...Intercontinental Hotels) IS in a licensing agreement with Viacom for use of the Nick characters.

The amusement park at Mall of America will also be redone in a Nick theme...ironically, this occurred after CF lost (or gave up...not sure what the official story is) the management contract for this park.

Even if CF was to be shortsighted enough to give up the Nick licensing for their parks (and, Interpreter is right...the analysts ask Kinzel on every earnings call whether he's worked this out yet or not--the investment community definitely thinks it's smart for CF to keep Nick), I have no doubt another park chain would be waiting in the wings to pick it up. Shapiro is a smart guy...I bet he could get a lot of mileage out of Nickelodeon licensing ;)

I'm gonna guess this rumor is false. Why would CF want to bring back characters that most kids don't even remember when it seems to me that the most logical thing to do would be to introduce the Nick characters to the rest of their parks?

I know, Screamscape is usually full of it.

Yeah but you also got too think about it this way! Yes kids might not know about most HB, But Mom and Dad grew up on these HB Characters. So it is a chance for Mom and Dad to reintroduce them to there kids. I think it would be great for HB to make a comeback.

And folks like to pick on Screamscape, but from my view they seem to get a lot correct. (And they get it correct well before the actual announcements are made.) So as the story goes.... Those that do know, Do Talk to Screamscape.

Apparently, Dollywood is the only park who feels this way. Just ask CF how they felt about their plans for Maverick winding up on Sctreamscape before they were ready to make the announce ment. And, my POV is Screamscape generally gets it wrong. They thought when CP was planning on Wicked Twister, that the footers were for a coaster just like Superman at SFMM, but larger in scale.

And, of course they are going to post things as a rumor. This covers their butts when they are completely wrong, like bringing back the old HB characters. If I e-mail them with fake credentials, I can guarantee that I could send them a rumor and bam, it appears on screamscape.

In way of the HB characters.....the entertainment department never really got rid of the HB characters.

So, do you know if the Captain Caveman costume is actually still hanging out somewhere at Kings Island? Also, when was the last time it was seen in public that you know of?

I worked entertainment

I worked with the characters

Kids REALLY are more familiar with Nick Toons (from my 3yrs exp)

Like Scooby is the only HB Character allowed to walk Nick U

The others(including scooby) do picnic grove walks/promos that we would go on

I can go ON and ON about this..

but capt. caveman does not exist i know this for a fact

In way of the HB characters.....the entertainment department never really got rid of the HB characters.

So, do you know if the Captain Caveman costume is actually still hanging out somewhere at Kings Island? Also, when was the last time it was seen in public that you know of?

I can go ON and ON about this..

but capt. caveman does not exist i know this for a fact

Hi Tassles,

guy1115 already confirmed that the Captain Caveman costume is gone...

I should have been more specific....they did get rid of a lot of the character around 2000 or So when the first Nick expansion happened. In that cut were the likes of Captain Caveman, Jaber-Jaws(?), Huckleberry Hound, and a few others. Those costumes are long gone.

But do YOU know what became of it...was it given away, sold, sent back to Hanna Barbera or destroyed? I have asked this question a few years ago but so far nobody actually knows for sure the fate of it.

Thanks

Ermm... to put it lightly

they actually cut them up and burn them actually....

That IS sad. A lot of those costumes were a work of art...they should have been preserved for posterity. These costumes are definitely a part of Ohio pop culture. (I am sure Disney is stashing away a lot of theirs.) Think of the hundreds of thousands of people who have photographs in their homes with these "characters".

Except for possibly standing in front of a park's "landmark" and getting your picture taken nothing says "amusement park" like a photo with a character...and if you can combine the 2 you are all set! (It is amazing how even a grown person's personality changes when they see one of these characters walking around...you really can get a once in a lifetime photo opportunity.)

I can totally understand that they wouldn't be allowed to walk around and make appearances in the park because of licensing rules but there should be a way to preserve history. Americans are into pop culture. People visit the Smithsonian Museum to see a lot of inatimate objects from their favorite movies & TV shows that bring back good memories...it tells you something when even our (inept) government knows that these types of items are worth preserving. (Yes, I know that the park's costumes are not nearly on the level of the costumes in most movies & TV shows.)

It is a crime that they have all been destroyed because they can never be brought back...replicas don't count. The park should have an agreement with the companies of these characters that they can not be "used" after the license expires...but the park retains ownership of the costumes. I am sure that some kind of an agreement could be made so that these costumes could be seen every now and then on display by the public. (Whether it be at Kings Island or a local Ohio Museum.)

If aren't old enough to know what I am talking about, just wait 20-30 years...then you will wish that you could just see what Spongebob or Scooby looked like "in person" just one more time!

Obviously all of the costumes from my youth are gone...but hopefully things might change for everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Well my nephew who is 8 years old loves The Flintstones especially Fred Flintstone he loves to watch Scooby-Doo as well just like his uncle yeah he likes to watch spongebob squarepants who doesn't ? and maybe Rugrats or Fairly Odd Parents But honestly that's the only things he'll ever watch on Nick he says everything else is stupid and I might add he is bonkers for Snoopy I am gonna take him to Cedar Point this summer (09) for the new Planet Snoopy plus I wanna brake him in on some world class coasters.I seen a lot of Hanna-Barbera Characters at Howl-O-Fest a few weeks ago I took him as a reward for doing better in school and he seen his favorite characters Scooby-Doo & Fred Flintstone,Dino and the great yogi bear and much to my surprise velma was there as well it was really fun I hope they do it next year as well but I'd like to see George Jetson & Astro I didn't see them at all when we went.

Has anyone watched boomerang lately they have new bananna splits characters back on new short 5 min episodes:

Kings Island 2010 Hanna barbera world and the return of our beloved characters

and smurfs fantastic voyage the return!!!

La LA la

I love to see the Smurfs return but I have a odd felling Sponge Bob will replace Scooby Doo in the future.

I wish I could be out there to hold onto that balloon.

I'm so stoked dude THREE of my favorite cartoon characters will be in this year's parade! 1)Scooby-Doo 2(Smurfs 3(Snoopy! :D

And Vortex dude I think Snoopy will replace Scooby-Doo & The Haunted Castle I mean the possiblies are endless for a Snoopy Dark Ride.

And I reported The Smurfs being in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade a few hours before you did no offense glad you found that.

Smurfs Topic