Hanna Barbera character at KI?

CMHDave

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*** SCREAMSCAPE REPORTSS

Park News - (11/19/08) While Cedar Fair hasn’t confirmed the rumor that they may be dumping the Nick characters for the 2009 season, the latest Carowinds Passholder newsletter does give away a very interesting clue. It seems the park’s old in-park currency known as “Spongebob Dollars” is now being referred to as “SCOOBY-DOO Bucks”. This actually matches up with another rumor on the subject that claimed that the park may go back to using the old Hanna-Barbera characters instead. Currently the website is only referring to them as “Park Dollars”.

http://screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm

Oh, really?

Please explain, then, why Viacom saw fit to license a Nick U park at Mall of America right outside Valleyfair in Minnesota, at a site where Snoopy was the former theme...and the former operator? Cedar Fair. Camp Snoopy. A message was being sent.

Why do you assume Viacom has ANY interest in Cedar Fair having its properties in its parks? After all, Vicacom has other, national, opportunities available for the Nick properties, if it can get the rights available on a near exclusive national basis again. Paramount Parks was owned by CBS at the end, a sister company to Viacom. Cedar Fair has no such relationship.

Very true Terpy, Viacom could care less about havings one of its most profitable brands licensed to a 3rd party like Cedar Fair. Cedar Fair has a good relationship with Snoopy and the gang and Im sure Hanna Barbara will be more than happy to have their characters back in the park.

Thanks for the agreement, but you really do mean Viacom couldN'T care less...in fact they do the opposite of care...they almost certainly do NOT want Cedar Fair having rights to Nick, and have thus priced those rights accordingly. I suspect Cedar Fair may be so upset, stunned and amazed by this that the Nick characters may even leave the parks before the current licensing rights expire. Like many others, I have often thought Viacom benefited by being in the parks far more than the parks benefited by Nick's presence.

If they really are going to do away with the Nick theming than I am glad my family and I decided not to renew our passes for 09. Having the nick stuff around was what our kids like the most. We also have been unhappy with Cedar Fairs moves to remove the parade and add sub par shows. With that said, I am not surprised with the direction they are going in, its the same approach they have taken with Knotts Berry Farm. Cut the theming, build a bunch of thrill rides over top of everything and get read of the dark ride.

Sub-par shows? Compared to what the park had under the last few years of Viacom/CBS?

It could have been a lot worse, we could have gotten the dvd treatment like the chain that numbers it's flags.

We thoroughly enjoyed the shows this year (with one exception in my case - I never got the chance to give that show a second try though). They were the best the park has seen in a long time.

Wow, sub par shows. Shocked seeing as how the show line up has increased and are far better than what Viacom ever provided at KI. With the special events, improved opperations, better entertainment, nicer landscaping, and other improvements. I do believe 08 was one of the best seassons KI has seen in a long time.

If they really are going to do away with the Nick theming than I am glad my family and I decided not to renew our passes for 09. Having the nick stuff around was what our kids like the most. We also have been unhappy with Cedar Fairs moves to remove the parade and add sub par shows. With that said, I am not surprised with the direction they are going in, its the same approach they have taken with Knotts Berry Farm. Cut the theming, build a bunch of thrill rides over top of everything and get read of the dark ride.

Cut the theming? Most of what has been removed is the very Paramount-ish stuff. (and, mainly, on TRTR). Build a bunch of thrill rides over top of everything? Firehawk was built on unused land. Diamondback may be over a former pond, but the splashdown should look really good too. And SDATHC is still there...

I don't think that having the rides themed to shows is that important...but I DO think that it IS important to have popular characters running around...my Nephew's eyes really light up whenever he sees a Nick character...he couldn't care less about HB characters, let alone Snoopy. If the park is trying to save money they might as well drag out Felix The Cat or Betty Boop because the end result would be the same as The Peanuts and probably even cheaper than they pay for that license.

I don't think that having the rides themed to shows is that important...but I DO think that it IS important to have popular characters running around...my Nephew's eyes really light up whenever he sees a Nick character...he couldn't care less about HB characters, let alone Snoopy. If the park is trying to save money they might as well drag out Felix The Cat or Betty Boop because the end result would be the same as The Peanuts and probably even cheaper than they pay for that license.

It's amazing how kids run up to the Warner Brothers/Bugs Bunny characters.

You would think that hey would not know who any of them were.

But they run up and pose for pictures at every Six Flags park.

As I said before I have a 8 year old nephew and he loves Fred Flintstone & Scooby-Doo his eyes glow when ever he sees Fred Flintstone or Scooby-Doo at the park the only Nicktoon he cares for is Spongebob Squarepants and maybe Patrick.My little nephew loves Snoopy as well I think he likes snoopy more so than the Hanna-Barbera Characters I plan on taking him to Cedar Fair this Summer so he can see Snoopy and have some fun in the new Planet Snoopy.So in my view if Nick went away it wouldnt be a total loss and I agree with what woofer said 100%.

The only way I see Warner Brothers not letting Hanna-Barbera Characters is if Six Flags would not let them or has the rights now. Some of the Six Flags Parks have Camp Cartoon with Hanna-Barbera characters still, but they are being replace with Thomas and the Wiggles.