List of Halloween Haunt Attractions and Desc.

BoddaH1994

I can definitely see how an upcharge could be a solution to the crowd issue, and i wouldn't mind a small charge, as long as its no more than $20, especially if the event is THAT much better. But i also think that it would be absolutely ridiculous to lie to people who bought passes this year, and i dont care wat the event is called, it would be a scandal if they charged passholders THIS YEAR. That would have so many people POed, as if they already don't have people mad about food prices.

So I think that charging extra is ok, just not this year.

Also, I think it could be a great marketing thing that --if next year Halloween Haunt was an upcharge-- it would be free for Maxx passholders, or something like that. I know a lot of people that would go for that, including me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think CF should take the hit this year since the Halloween event (by any name) was advertised as free with a season pass. Next year if they want to upcharge for it, great. Let the pass buyers decide for themselves if the pass is worth it without Halloween admission. Whether they intend it as a "bait and switch" or not, that is just what it will be if CF claims that by changing the name it is now OK to charge extra for Halloween Haunt. If they do it, I hope they overstaff the guest relation office. It'll be busy, that's for sure.

And what about Nick or Treat? Just an upcharge for Fri and Sat nights or for all October admissions?

Being a season pass holder, there are a few things that I have observed.

At CP, they charge seperate admissions for both the park and Soak City. Now many have questioned why they do that. Well, CP is a resort destiantion. If people were not going to go to SC and pay extra, then CF would have made the decision many years ago to include it with the park admission. Yet there are virtually no outside waterparks to compete with SC. So if SC was included with regular admission, the wait times would be terrible (as wait times usually are at waterparks). Make it an upcharge, to limit the number of people, thus keeping the lines down.

Now at CP, there is no upcharge for Halloweekends. Why? Well again, CP is a resort destination. It is not a regional park like KI. People have to travel 1+ hrs. to get there. Now if you are a season pass holder that lives in Detroit, and you have to drive 2 hours to CP, and then CP is going to charge you more for HW; chances are, you are not going to go and do a Halloween event in Detroit only because you have already been on all the rides at CP numerous times. CP does get a huge crowd for HW, but the park is also so big that crowd control is much easier.

Now let's look at KI. BB is included with admission mainly due to other competition in the area. But now they may charge more to get in for HH. Now how many times have you heard that the lines at FF were abnoxously long. It ****ed people off to wait that long. So what would you rather have: no charge, but wait in lines that are extremely long and take away from the haunts that are there -or- pay extra for less people and a more enjoyable "Haunting" experiance. Remember, more people equal a less scary event. And with many parks offering legalized line jumping for a fee, it is obvious people don't want to wait in line. Many of the events take place after dark, and if you are waiting 2 hours for one haunt, that is going to limit what you are going to do. Remember, the park will be open later than it has been in many years.

Now look at it from the customer service side of it. If enough people complained in 2006 about the waits and mentioned they would be willing to pay more to do more, the CF listened to them. Now in 2007 if the numbers are down enough to where money is not being made, then come 2008, it may be a free event again.

Now let's look at KI. BB is included with admission mainly due to other competition in the area. But now they may charge more to get in for HH. Now how many times have you heard that the lines at FF were obnoxiously long. It ****ed people off to wait that long. So what would you rather have: no charge, but wait in lines that are extremely long and take away from the haunts that are there -or- pay extra for less people and a more enjoyable "Haunting" experience. Remember, more people equal a less scary event. And with many parks offering legalized line jumping for a fee, it is obvious people don't want to wait in line. Many of the events take place after dark, and if you are waiting 2 hours for one haunt, that is going to limit what you are going to do.

Now look at it from the customer service side of it. If enough people complained in 2006 about the waits and mentioned they would be willing to pay more to do more, the CF listened to them. Now in 2007 if the numbers are down enough to where money is not being made, then come 2008, it may be a free event again.

Perfect examples of free charging backfires, that I know of, are Route 666, Headless Hollow/Tombstone Terrortory, and Maze of Madness/Asylum/Death Row. Triple 6, back in '03, had four to five hour lines on any given night. Hollow had a three-plus hour wait just for the train, not to mention possibly another hour waiting in WWC just to walk through the maze. And, of course, the infamous Madness of the Maze, the one who, on almost every occasion, managed to close the Zephyr down by blocking both its entrance AND exit and reaching the front doors of the skeeball arcade.

And everyone remembers how crowded it was in the Flight of Fear Alley with Psychopath and the Asylum in the immediate vicinity (also with Curse of the Crypt in '04). Just remember that now there's a new ride situated right behind FOF that is a REAL big crowd drawer. Now picture the X-Base Pavilion come time for Haunt to begin, with Flight of Fear, Psychopath, Death Row, AND Firehawk open and running.

Or, rather, just think of the crowds gathering back in the GunSon Alley to experience the new Club Blood maze, scantily-clad babes and all. Don't forget that both the entrance AND exit to Blood jet right into Top Gun's queue line, and, now that Son of Beast is back up and running, there should be a whole lot full of people lining up to take night rides on the (smoother) coaster.

And what about Nick or Treat? Just an upcharge for Fri and Sat nights or for all October admissions?

That's another decision that has to be made. The UNOFFICIAL word on the street is that they may pull an '00 and close and reopen the park. But that is NOT confirmed. I'd recommend everyone going into "wait and see" mode before getting worked up.

I'm on the fence about this one. I like the Halloween event being included with my pass. However I remember it being that much better when there was an extra charge. I'm still going either way. In fact I'm looking forward to it. It is a little bittersweet though. While I like Halloween time the best it signals the end of the season which is always a little sad. Although I do remember when I had to pay I was able to hit all the haunts plus a few rides. Whereas lately I have to split the haunts up each visit to get them all in. So I'm fine with a nominal charge for passholders. It sounds like I won't be disappointed and my money will be put to good use. Now I won't be upset in the least if it's still free don't get me wrong. Either way I'm there.

I think you're understanding this more than most people. IF Halloween Haunt is an upcharge, you people will benefit the most out of it. Rather than having to fight through ridiculous crowds, you can drop just a few bucks and enjoy most, if not all of the haunts. Not to mention that there will be MORE haunts, a great show (written and produced by our good friend Kevin Brunck) and a whole new level of terror!

Yes, but in the past a couple of the Haunts have been a let down(The Asylum, Holiday horror...) So why pay 20 something bucks when, chances are a couple of them won't be that great. Just because there are more haunts does not mean they will all be extremely great.

Not to mention that there will be MORE haunts, a great show (written and produced by our good friend Kevin Brunck) and a whole new level of terror!

I think this is a great thing to point out.....the fact that the show is being produced "in-house "by the Entertainment Department. In fact...most of everything being done this year, including all the new decorations, re-themes, and new haunts are actually being done by Kings Island's staff. Contrary to what the press release would have you believe.....Knott's Berry Farm actaully has very little to do with the changes to this year's event.....except of course for the name.

Not to mention that there will be MORE haunts, a great show (written and produced by our good friend Kevin Brunck) and a whole new level of terror!

I think this is a great thing to point out.....the fact that the show is being produced "in-house "by the Entertainment Department. In fact...most of everything being done this year, including all the new decorations, re-themes, and new haunts are actually being done by Kings Island's staff. Contrary to what the press release would have you believe.....Knott's Berry Farm actaully has very little to do with the changes to this year's event.....except of course for the name.

You're absolutely right. But they're also trying to bring the event up to the "calibur" of Knott's Scary Farm, which is certainly a good thing.

My take is, that if I can see all of the haunts, scare zones, and the show in one night, maybe two, the upchrage will be well worth it.

I remember going to the first FearFest ('00) and even grumbling about the upcharge on top of a season pass. But I went on a Friday night, and was able to hit all the haunts offered that night, and maybe the rides as well. (they only had Action Zone rides open that year).

In 2001 - I bought a wristband on a Saturday, and managed to get in maybe 4 haunted attractions. (missed the ones in Festhaus and next to Scrambler) but I had to leave early so may have gotten one more in otherwise. The lines that year were longer than the first but still somewhat manageable.

After that I hit a FearFest haunt here and there when it was free, but seeing signs that the wait would be 2-3 hours for a haunt made me lose my taste for the scare, and I resorted to rides.

If we can get a better than ever level of fright in the haunts, with manageable crowds, due in part to an upcharge, it may well be worth it.

I mean last time I did USS nightmare, that was close to $15 for a single haunt. The individual haunts of FearFest may be shorter than Nightmare, but when you add up all 11 scare attractions, its a great event.

Oh, for those that are more seasoned at Haunt, if I want the best chances of seeing all 11 in as few visits as possible, do you recommend Fridays or Saturdays?

David "Who can remember when haunted houses were generally under $5 each" Bowers

OK, two things:

1) Am I the only one that thinks the new logo looks really slick?

2) Was the name changed due to Paramount owning the name FearFest?

Yeah, I know that with the sale to CF, there was a certain time alloted where CF could still use Paramount's likeness and titles. But with this rather big change, is this only a preview of all things Paramount no longer being part of the park?

My guess is that the name changed because this gives Cedar Fair a chance to out do Fearfest or at least what people remember of it. This also would also allow Cedar Fair to start charging for the event again as having Fearfest go from an upcharge to free to an upcharge wouldnt look good. At least this way they can say, "this isn't Fearfest, this is Halloween Haunt, and it's worth the upcharge."

It seems unlikely that it has to do with Paramount owning the name Fearfest since Carowinds is still using Scarwinds. Of course I could be wrong.

Im thinking something like this:

$19.99 for the public

$9.99 For Season Pass holders.

Either way Ill pay, Im sure the money will be worth it.

I'm pretty sure they always had a discount for season pass holders in the past. Anyone else confirm?

I remember purchasing tickets both online at the website and printing them out one year, I believe it was 2001. In 2000 I always bought my ticket at Blockbuster because it was cheeper, it was 17.99 to be exact. Then in 2002 I worked there and I dont ever remember them being overly strict about the wristband thing. I remember showing my ID several times and them letting me through.

Kings Island has 75% man power the fear fest install

and Stage Works the other 25% when it came to crunch time (i speak of experience)

2years of it

and bonding with the fort **now THAT is a story**

(anyone whos done install knows what i mean about the fort)

I always get stuck going on Saturdays since that is my normal day off. I would say Fridays have a better chance at shorter lines though. The first weekend is always good last year I went on the first Saturday and did more than I thought I would. It's been a long time, but if I remember when it was an upcharge the lines were still long, just not 2-3 hour wait long. The way I've had to do it in the last couple of years was guess which attraction would have the worst line and hit that one first every week. Sometimes you get lucky though and can hit one right before closing. It's hard to time though, I've just gotten lucky doing that. And for some reason it's always Circus of Horrors 3-D that I make it on. That one has always been my favorite. I look at it this way if they charge for the event I'm still going. I'm not going to miss out. This is my favorite time of year, and always a good time. Plus who doesn't like riding The Beast around 1 in the morning?

I would not mind paying a small charge for the Haunt, if it killed some of the lines. My biggest complaint has been the amount of people attending. This makes the lines go quicker through the attractions in larger groups, and hurts the quality of each of the attractions. Not to mention waiting for hours and only being able to see one or two attractions in one evening.

If you go to any other Haunted House you would be charged. This event for a similar charge will provide smaller lines, and an all around better scare than other single haunted houses in the area because there is more to see and do.

From the perspective of someone who would go to the park just for this event, I would not mind a seperate charge at all.

Now,,,, if you are usually in the park or carry a season pass I see how an additional price would be annoying,,,,,, but from my perspective it would be a wise move.

I would not mind paying a small charge for the Haunt, if it killed some of the lines. My biggest complaint has been the amount of people attending. This makes the lines go quicker through the attractions in larger groups, and hurts the quality of each of the attractions. Not to mention waiting for hours and only being able to see one or two attractions in one evening.

If you go to any other Haunted House you would be charged. This event for a similar charge will provide smaller lines, and an all around better scare than other single haunted houses in the area because there is more to see and do.

From the perspective of someone who would go to the park just for this event, I would not mind a seperate charge at all.

Now,,,, if you are usually in the park or carry a season pass I see how an additional price would be annoying,,,,,, but from my perspective it would be a wise move.

YES YES YES!! Someone is finally getting it!!

YES YES YES!! Someone is finally getting it!!

.....yep. He's losin' it.

I have had the opportunity to just read through this entire topic and I am still trying to figure out how Boddah1994 is not pulling his hair out. Most of you are getting all worked up over how you won't come to the park if there is an upcharge to get in. That's fine, shorter lines for me.

I hate to be the spolier, but there is a loophole that CF could take. But none of us know exactly what will happen until the announcement is made. I would just advise everyone to stop saying that they know what's going to happen with this, and wait for Boddah's next press release explaining the ticket details.

Ummm. I haven't seen anyone getting really worked up yet. I'm seeing a lively discussion about how we feel about an upcharge, pro or con. If they upcharge HH, I will be dissappointed with the CF management for how they have handled the situation but I am not going to run screaming through the streets about the unfairness of it all. I think an upcharge is a great idea to keep down the crowds a little and let those who attend enjoy things more. I just think that, should it happen, that it should have been announced much earlier in the season since the Halloween events were originally advertised as free with the season pass.

I would just advise everyone to stop saying that they know what's going to happen with this, and wait for Boddah's next press release explaining the ticket details.

or better yet, when KI releases the information. Remember, Boddah does not represent the park ;) , though I am sure he wishes he were paid for this

I'm seriously not withholding any information from you at all. You know everything I know.
Or so you say... lol, just kidding.

or better yet, when KI releases the information. Remember, Boddah does not represent the park ;) , though I am sure he wishes he were paid for this

The news doesnt represent the park either, thats not to say that they're not the first to get press releases and such. Though they often misconstrue stories... Seeing as Boddah has the parks best interest at heart I would find him far more reliable than the news as they seem to go with whats juiciest and quickest without double checking the facts. Thats something you dont have to worry about with Boddah.