Wonderland Unveils B & M Behemoth

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive...7/27/c2399.html

Wonderland Unveils BEHEMOTH: Canada's Biggest, Fastest and Tallest Roller Coaster

VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 27 /CNW/ - Canada's Wonderland changes the landscape

for thrill seekers in 2008, with the addition of Canada's biggest, fastest and

tallest roller coaster - Behemoth. Following 18 months of planning and

construction, Behemoth will premiere at Canada's Wonderland in May 2008.

At over 5,300 feet (1,616m) in length, Behemoth sets the stage for

thrills with a climb to a height of 230 feet (70.1m), followed by an

adrenaline pumping 85 degree drop with speeds reaching 125 kilometers per hour

in 3.9 seconds. The coaster then takes riders through the ultimate coaster

experience with high speed twists and turns, including double banked flat

loops (horizontal loops) and eight extreme drops. Intensifying the action

packed adventure, the ride features prototype open-air seating that will allow

all riders to experience an unobstructed view of the thrills and excitement of

one of North America's best coasters.

"Behemoth will be the biggest investment in Canada's Wonderland's 27 year

history at approximately $26 million dollars," said Raffi Kaprelyan, Vice

President and General Manager, Canada's Wonderland. "With the addition of

Behemoth, we wanted to compliment our already impressive line-up of more than

200 rides, shows and attractions with a world class roller coaster that will

showcase Wonderland as one of the premier amusement parks in our industry."

Behemoth will be the 15th roller coaster at Canada's Wonderland.

Construction is currently underway, but those who cannot wait until spring may

take a virtual ride on Behemoth at www.canadaswonderland.com. Visitors to the

website may also access exclusive Behemoth updates and features including

virtual renderings, ride statistics and other online fun.

Behemoth was designed by Bolliger & Mabillard of Monthey, Switzerland, a

recognized industry leader in roller coaster development.

Canada's Wonderland is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment

Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New

York Stock Exchange under the symbol "FUN." In addition to Canada's

Wonderland, Cedar Fair owns and operates eleven other amusement parks, five

water parks, one indoor water park resort, and six hotels. Cedar Fair also

owns and operates Star Trek: The Experience, an interactive adventure located

in Las Vegas, and operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy,

California under a management contract.

The website they've given the ride is not unlike that of Maverick. It's very nice. That said, I also noticed in the construction diary entry a funny nod to the enthusiasts that 'hacked' the flash animation on the CW homepage.

Also, the page for Behemoth doesn't reside at the usual www2.cedarfair.com/canadaswonderland/... web address, but is instead residing at attraction.canadaswonderland.com/public/... so a full CW website redesign looks like it might very well happen in the near future with the slight changes that have happened.

Oh, and the background on the Behemoth pages is very OS X Leopard-esque a la "Time Machine"

The ride strikes me as one that's not very impressive in the POV format, but will be one wild ride in person.

Yeah, I agree. The turn around after the second drop looked pretty awesome but after that the hills look like hills.

The prototype B&M trains sure looks different. I wonder what those will feel like. I knew it was going to be B&M. Anyone notice how the ride looks as if it's going to be built over IJ.

Yeah, if you look closely at the renderings you can see that it looks like some of supports for the lift hill will go through IJ. That's very odd for them to build another coaster on top of a themed ride.

Why is it odd that they have some supports for Behemoth in the IJ ride area?

This ride definately looks like it will be one fun ride! The new B&M seats remind me somewhat of the seating arrangement that can be found on the Super Invertigos that were made by Vekoma for Six Flags. Here is an example of one of the cars for Deja Vu promoting the ride before it opened. The cars will definately allow for a more open feel, as you won`t have the headrest from the row in front of you about two feet from your head!

With the addition of Behemoth, it means that of the former Paramount Parks, all of them will now have a B&M creation, except for the two Kings parks. Obviousely, I am referring to Kings Dominion and Kings Island. And, if rumors turn out to be true, Kings Dominion may get a second hand B&M coaster for next season, leaving only Kings Island without a B&M creation! Hopefully, in the coming years, Cedar Fair will install a B&M creation at Kings Island. Personally, I wouldn`t mind seeing a hyper coaster from B&M like Wonderland is getting! A tall, fast steel coaster without any inversions would be an instant hit at Kings Island and appeal to all those people that don`t like to go upside down on roller coasters.

Well, if you do the math, 18 months of planning and construction, assuming an opening of May 2008, that puts the start of planning at January of this year. Obviousely well after the time in which Cedar Fair took over control of the park. And as has been said countless times before, Cedar Fair did not honor the plans that CBS/Paramount Parks had for the parks. What they did honor, however, was the amount of capital budgets spent on the parks. Ie, Cedar Fair didn`t reduce the amount of money they spent on the Paramount Parks, but simply changed the product mix.

This coaster really does look great. Though B&M Hypers usually don't impress me that much. Raging Bull at SFGAm is highly over-rated in my opinion.. The first drop is great, but there are trims everywhere and no airtime whatsoever. Apollo's Chariot is my favorite B&M hyper coaster. Also note that I'm somewhat limited in my opinion.. I haven't ridden Nitro or any of the Goliaths.

Ok so the layout was ok until the hills were just the same as usual on a B&M out and back. Whats up with what Paramount had planned for us in 08'? Whats Cedar Fair have in mind for us since Cedar Point had installed Maverick and it was not even near what Firehawk costed us. CWL has 15 coasters now, whats up with us only having 14. I think only time will tell when we get another steel coaster. ;)

Despite the trims on 3/5 airtime hills, the REALLY lame name, crappy trains, and rip off color scheme....this looks like it will be a good ride. A kick butt first hill and some airtime through out the course. Behemoth TOTALLY dwarfs IJST.....LOL!!!!

KI "Coming soon to Kings Island 'SHAQ: The Monster Ride'" Man

Nice addition for CW.

I wouldn't worry about airtime, it appears to have a ton of it.

I am also surprised that CF is installing a ride of this magnatude, given the financial issues that we have been led to believe.

Perhaps things are not as bad as we thought.

<_<

Or perhaps Canada's Wonderland is deffinitely a park that CF intends on keeping.

Maybe funds for this ride were already in place before CF took over! -Hauntguy

That is possible, but the money that was originally put down would have been included with the sale price. And given all the issues CF has had with coasters in the past, there is no way that the full amount was already paid. Chances are it will probably be paid in either 1/3 or 1/4 installments with the last payment due once the ride is up and operating. (25%- design, 25% product arrival, 25% construction complete, 25% ride operating)- Just a guess.

So it is still a hefty bill for CF anyway you look at it.

How is it that Kings Island will be the only Paramount Park with out a B&M? I can understand not getting a new coaster after Firehawk and fixing up the park. Cedar Point did this the year after Raptor. I guess we all have to wait till 2009 or 2010 for the next all new big coaster at Kings Island.

How much did Paramount put away for Kings Island in the coming years? I bet something was in the works for 2007 and 2008. Boy would like to know what would have been.

O well, the question is what is Kings Island geting in 2008? also just becuase we got a coaster this year, doesnt mean we don't get one next year :)

If Kings Island was going to get a coaster in 2008 don't you think we see some work being done, unless it was a small Wild Mouse coaster.

O well, the question is what is Kings Island geting in 2008? also just becuase we got a coaster this year, doesnt mean we don't get one next year :)

If Kings Island was going to get a coaster in 2008 don't you think we see some work being done, unless it was a small Wild Mouse coaster.

Don't forget we didn't see any ground work for Firehawk until the last weekend or so. There is still time for a late spring opening like they have for the past couple of large attractions.