What stinks about Kings Island

raptor

It is funny that you mention the Flying Dutchman.

As a kid, my sister and I would ride that thing over and over again when it was at Kings Island. It was just one of those memories I had when I was a child.

Then I heard it was at SFKK and I drove down there for that reason only!

The first time I went was by myself. I talked to the ride op for a good 10mins since nobody was riding it. I got a solo ride on it and then he was cool enough to take my picture giving it a hug. Here, have a look....

sfkkshoe.jpg

Sad huh?

Anyway, the ride op knew a LOT about the park but he didn't realize that the Flying Dutchman came from Kings Island. He was pretty shocked at that fact.

The month of September.

One of my favorite times to go to amusement parks, the weather is warm enough to enjoy, but not brutally hot, Will have to travel up to the point a couple times.

What stinks about Kings Island?

Per the title and your comment, it sound as if you are blaming the park fault for the weather.

Which obviously is not the case, since who in their right mind would blame a park for the weather outside?

;)

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/06/17/suit061703.html

Who says Kings Island is closed but 5 days? Im pretty sure there are speacil groups who rent out the parks for private parties. So when closed to the public, its open to the private group who rented it out that day or weekend.

Guest kwindshawne
It is funny that you mention the Flying Dutchman.

As a kid, my sister and I would ride that thing over and over again when it was at Kings Island. It was just one of those memories I had when I was a child.

Then I heard it was at SFKK and I drove down there for that reason only!

The first time I went was by myself. I talked to the ride op for a good 10mins since nobody was riding it. I got a solo ride on it and then he was cool enough to take my picture giving it a hug. Here, have a look....

sfkkshoe.jpg

Sad huh?

Anyway, the ride op knew a LOT about the park but he didn't realize that the Flying Dutchman came from Kings Island. He was pretty shocked at that fact.

Nice pic!!! I remember that one as well. You know, instead of all these mega coasters and such, maybe KI ought to get some simple things like this..that was part of the magic in KI's early days.

not blaming the park for the weather :D

August is always a hot month, I love the September weather for me it's the best time to be at a park, so I think it stinks that the park is closed for a good portion of the month. I'd probably be up there every weekend in September.

Hey couldn't they at least be open on Friday nights.

Ah the memories of the Dutchman I remember riding with my sister and dad when I was about 5 or 6 and it seemed like such a big ride then.

And the private events have been going on in weekends in September for years, even before Paramount. They are only closed for 2 complete weekends not really a big deal. The park reopens to the public and season pass holders on Sunday, September 23rd from 10am till 8pm.

Hell they could close at the end of Labor Day and not reopen till April, at least they reopen for a little over a month in just a few short weeks. Also glad they are keeping HH open everyday the last week of October.

I don't understand why the park is closed all september. I just found this out now I'm extremely upset. I understand they have to get ready for fearfest or w/e it's called this year, but the entire park shouldn't be shut down.

Might have something to do with having enough employees. How many adults want seasonal work? The rest are teenagers and college students on summer break and they are all back in school in September. Except for weekends which is when all the private events are scheduled.

I don't understand why the park is closed all september. I just found this out now I'm extremely upset. I understand they have to get ready for fearfest or w/e it's called this year, but the entire park shouldn't be shut down.

If the powers that be felt they would make money by being open, the park would be open.

Not to mention, how many seasonal parks are open during the week in September?

KI is certainly not the only park.

I think it stinks that Cedar Fair chose not to have Winterfest anymore. I think Winterfest is one of the

most beautiful things Kings Island ever did. They didn't give it a fair chance in 05, and they had everything out of whack as far as charging too much for the event and stuff like that. If they would have allowed

season passes and charged half of what they charged, they would have had more attendence, as in the

old Winterfest days. I think Cedar Fair is really not giving this a fair shake just based on what they

saw on paper. If they had Winterfest and allowed season passes, I'd go all the time. Mr Kinzel is also

looking at what they did at Cedar Point in 94. Well, thats also not a fair shake, as its a whole lot colder

up here on the lake than it is in Cincinnati for that time of year. Plus, they didnt really do a whole lot

for theirs. They are not comparing apples to apples in either case. I think a lot of people would go to

Winterfest, if they would allow passes and lower the price for admission, and have a very successful

and beautiful event. Tell everyone you know, write Mr Kinzel and say, "BRING BACK WINTERFEST in 08!"

I think it stinks that Cedar Fair chose not to have Winterfest anymore. I think Winterfest is one of the

most beautiful things Kings Island ever did. They didn't give it a fair chance in 05, and they had everything out of whack as far as charging too much for the event and stuff like that.

When Paramount brought back Winterfest in '05 they half-assed it. It was really nothing more than window dressing for an event that they cancelled after the 1992 season and brought back as a selling piece to a potential new owner.

Not to mention, CF already had enough on it's plate with the acquisition of Paramount Parks. Winterfest did not make enough money (if any at all) to warrent the time to try and bring it back to what it was before Paramount cancelled it.

I wouldn`t necessarily say that WinterFest in `05 was a half hearted attempt. I thought it was really well done. The parade, the Holiday Illuminations show, the Toy Factory show in the Paramount Theater and the train ride were all wonderfully done. The problem that they had was they simply charged way too much for the event. $25 per person to get in when The Beach had an event right across the street where pass holders got in free, and the general public only had to pay $10 is what doomed WinterFest. Although, having been to Holiday Fest last year, WinterFest offered much more activities, and an overall more festive environment.

I just think that with all that Cedar Fair had on their plate, they opted to concentrate on their core season. I think that had they had the right pricing strategy for WinterFest, it could have provided them with some extra cash in an otherwise dorment time of year. Heck, had they charged pass holders $5 to get in, I`m sure they would have done a lot steadier business then what they did, trying to charge them in the range of $18 a piece.

Sadly, I doubt we will ever see WinterFest at Kings Island again. However, I do find it odd that the barge that held the large Christmas trees for Holiday Illuminations remains in Swan Lake, more than a year after Kings Island canceled WinterFest for a second time.