eek! Top gun!

Cody

I wonder what you people who doesn't like Top Gun, would think of Vortex at CW? It's basically the same layout the same ride, but the lift and part of the drop is built on Wonder Mountain (CW's land mark, like Eiffel Tower is KI's). Also the final half of Vortex at CW is built over water. The only other difference is it has 2, 6 car trains, as Top Gun as 2, 7 car trains.

• Like 1

Top Gun is a great ride, no doubt, but it is definatly not one of the best kept rides at KI. Over the offseason, I say give it a major overhaul. A new paint job would make me happy the most. I really liked it's old Blue and Red, it was really eye catching. But Top Gun is not going anywhere.

I believe it will definently be renamed in the next year or so, though it would be nice if it was just replaced with something bigger and better.

Why do some believe that BIGGER is BETTER?

Why can't the park just add a ride without the demand of taking another out?

How can you believe something will definately happen?

And nothing personal, but, how can you have a name like "SonofBeastAddict" but have an opinion that another ride should be removed?

• Like 2

^ You Know it's all a matter of opinion. Who cares what it used to look like? I don't!

Beast1979

This is not like the difference between fire engine red and brick red, so it is not a gray area of discussion.

The difference between blue and grey is not a matter of opinion.

And if you didn't care, why even mention that you thought it was blue?

<_<

• Like 1

Be careful...you may end up being accused of being Mr. Perfect! :)

(His defense after he has been strident about something--in that case predicting Son of Beast trains would look like PTC's, and this long after the trains had bee installed! And then referring to each car of those 'PTC's' as a train) :)

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=176651

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=177306

Be careful...you may end up being accused of being Mr. Perfect! :)

(His defense after he has been strident about something--in that case predicting Son of Beast trains would look like PTC's, and this long after the trains had bee installed! And then referring to each car of those 'PTC's' as a train) :)

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=176651

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=177306

Is it to late to say SORRY? :( I goofed when I wrote that. It's hard to see from the midway. I thought they looked funky. And the Cars-Trains deal, Opps! :wacko:

Beast1979

• 1 month later...
I have a bad feeling that top gun is on its last leg. What are your comments on this ride? and if it was taken out, what would best fit in its place.

Top Gun has low ridership, wearing chainlift, rust, and a butt ugly pain job. BUT, I doubt it will get removed.

MY PREDICTION:

In the 2007-2008 offseason, Top Gun will get a new paint job, and a little touch-up.

In the 2008-2009 offseason, Top Gun will get a major overhawl. It will again be one of the best rides at KI!

What evidence do you have to support that Top Gun has low ridership? It has some of the best capacity in the park. All rides will have rust on them somewhere, while it may look bad, it does not always mean the ride is unsafe. The ride does not have a wearing chain lift. The chain lift slows down automatically as you climb the lift hill while the train ahead of it clears the breaks and goes into the station. If that train does not clear the brakes the train on the lift hill will stop before clearing the lift so as to prevent a collision. Rather than having it stop each time they just slow down the lift hill and time it accordingly. The ride wasn't always like this, but modification to the brakes before the station cause the train to take longer to go from there to the station, hence the lift hill jogging.

One thing I always wish our Top Gun had was the glass bottoms on the lift hill like The Bat and many of the other suspended coasters had. It just looks so much nicer. Did it originally have one of those? Both Top Gun and its cousin Vortex up north have those nasty chain link fences.

• Like 2

The longest wait I've ever had on TG was 10 minutes. I know that it stops automaticly, because there are 3 types of blocks. Station, Block Brakes, Chain lift. If the next block after the Chain is not cleared, then it stops and waits untill it's cleared. TG has air brakes to stop it, and it goes like, 45 miles an hour going into the brakes. I swear, every time I ride it I can easily imagine the brakes malfunctioning, and crashing through the station. I hope that never happens.

Just because you've only waited 10 minutes for Top Gun does not mean it has low ridership. Face/Off usually has a longer line and wait time than Top Gun, but Top Gun will pump more people through in an hour than face off can. Tnd the lift hill slows down on purpose to prevent the train from having to stop due to the block system, it is not malfunctioning like you earlier claimed.

• Like 1