eek! Top gun!

Cody

Why take Top Gun out when there is plenty of room to expand the park?

There is still going to be a need for coasters that don't have 300 foot drops or that don't go upside down. Top Gun is a good starting off point kids that are beginning to graduate to the bigger rides or, as the comedian Gallagher says, "There comes a point in a person's life when you can't take your head going over you A--!"

• Like 1

But the thing is, KI has so many of coasters just like that... Adventure Express, Racer, Top Gun, IJST. I'd even almost say that The Beast is a moderate ride. You don't need to be the bravest soul to ride The Beast. Anyway.. I think KI definitely needs one stand-out gigantic ride. They tried to get it in 2000 with that piece of crap in Action Zone. But that was an utter failure IMO. Other than that, their biggest rides are Firehawk, Vortex, Face/Off, and Drop Zone. A large hyper- or giga-coaster would do wonders for KI in my opinion.

I'll say it again:

In my opinion there is no reason to remove a ride unless:

A. It is a maintainence nightmare, causing large amounts of downtime and having very high repair costs.

B. Multiple Incidents. [on a par with Flight Commander or Superman Tower of Power]

C. There is something far better lined up for its spot that CANNOT be put anywhere else.

Now lets analyze Top Gun using the DeLorean Rider Ride Removal Analysis Method:

A. Top gun has very little downtime. Little downtime=few repairs=lower running cost.

B. Number of Top Gun incidents: 0 [The cherry picker incident in 2002 was not due to the ride itself, nor the person who had a heart attack in 2003]

C. Last I checked there were no media releases about a CrAzY Intamin or B&M lined up for TG's spot. In addition, there are several other places that rides could be added before the park needs to start cutting rides. Not to mention, the valley that Top Gun is specifically designed for, isnt exactly the most friendly for building.

Now lets list the reasons FOR removing Top Gun:

...[crickets chirping]...

As far as I'm concerned, if you dont like it DONT RIDE IT! Shorter lines for the rest of us.

Get your facts straingt, dont make assumptions! I will NOT be made an ass.

But the thing is, KI has so many of coasters just like that... Adventure Express, Racer, Top Gun, IJST. I'd even almost say that The Beast is a moderate ride. You don't need to be the bravest soul to ride The Beast.

SFMM should be enough proof that big coasters will not lead you to the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Sure, Beast is nowhere near what it used to be. But think of this: what ride at GL have people been the most concerned about? Not Thunderhawk, Dominator, or Villian. Big Dipper by far.

Beast is what put KI on the map. It also had a price tag of $3,000,000. Nowadays a park cannot construct a ride of Beast's magnatude for less than $20,000,000 easy.

I would love to see a huge coaster like Apollo's Chariot (I know one that will disagree with me there), Goliath or Titian at KI. But don't discount the older rides. They are still around for a reason.

A park cannot build rides of Maverick's type all the time.

Im gonna agree with DeLorean, I dont think I have ever seen Top Gun down but maybe 1 time. Ive been going to the park for year after year since I was a little boy going at least 15 times a year and Ive only seen it down once. Top Gun is not going anywhere!

So you were in the DeLorean to get the press release from the future? :) I just knew the rumors were true that they were taking Vortex out due to it sinking! B)

No, that was DeloreanRider, as i think hes the only one on this site who actually owns a Delorean, he must have just passed it along to Mr. Fudd.

In the case of the Eagles, Paramount decided to move them to make room for IJ:ST even though it was proven unnecessary. PT bit it because that location has been several attractions over the years and it was time to give the place a new facelift not to mention I didn't see that great of ridership in the last two years or so.

Let's not forget that Paramount was responsible for both.

Im gonna agree with DeLorean, I dont think I have ever seen Top Gun down but maybe 1 time. Ive been going to the park for year after year since I was a little boy going at least 15 times a year and Ive only seen it down once. Top Gun is not going anywhere!

It was down on August 25th. I was 2nd in line and it went down.

^You're talking one instance. Not to mention, in an overall operating season, a few days downtime does not a bad coaster make.

I never said it was bad. Actually after the fixed it, the ride ran faster than every. It was actually fun because it was going so fast.

I've waited 45 minutes for TG twice this season: Once on July 2, and once last Saturday night. However, I was a little concerned last Saturday night about TG's future when I saw that much of its queue was taken by Club Blood.

I don't know exactly when, I just know it was either in 1995 or 1996. It was very minor though.

Are you sure? The brakes failing and allowing the 2nd train to move forward and bump one in the station would be a pretty big deal. It would've caused quite a lot of stir about the same brakes which are used on countless other arrow rollercoasters and possibly changes that had to be made. I think you may be mistaken as to what happened.

Well it was very similar to the Magnum incident so it wasn't like a major thing, and no one got hurt. It could have been caused by low air pressure in the brakes. I'm pretty sure it was on the news, as my Mom heard about it. I was actually out of down with my Dad visiting my Grandma in New Mexico. So I know I did that for 2 years, 1995 and 1996. When she told me about it, I thought it may have been Vortex, cause the way the train moves forward sometimes. (Back then I didn't know that Vortex is set up do that, the operator controls that).

With the speed that Top Gun has going into those Air Brakes, It Scares me! I always have nightmares of the brakes failing and crashing into the station.

And you know how TG slows to a stop while train 2 comes into the station, and then picks up again?

Well, when I rode it on Sunday, it had trouble picking up speed again! It slowed easily, than took about 25 seconds to pick up again! It usualy only takes about 5-7 seconds, but it sat there and strugled to pick up again, and when it did, it clanked like SOB going up!

It seemed like a veteran picher thowing his last pich.