eek! Top gun!

Cody

The reason it slows on the lift is because the other train hasn't cleared the block. They may have had to hold the train the ready's for a dropped article or something, so that other train may have been delayed entering the station. That is nothing to worry about.

As far as the speed it has coming into the brakes. I don't think that Arrow would have designed a ride if they didn't know what they were doing. Besides Vortex at CW does the same thing.

The "starting" and stopping that you are referring to, I believe is simply the motor that they have powering the lift. It not pull the trains up at a consistent speed, but has a slight rhythmic pattern to it. And as PKIVortex said, the train will often slow to a crawl on the lift when the other train is clearing the brakes outside of the station.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Top Gun/Flight Deck (when do those names kick in? Beginning of the season?) is a high capacity ride in a spot where not much more can go and does not have much downtime. Why kill off a ride that A. You cannot replace with something or B. Does not decrease maintenance costs?

If the next block isn't clear, the train stops. That I know.

I don't know for sure, but i think that the chain works like a light bulb.

It takes a lot of energy to start up, but once it gets going, its not as hard.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Toting an already heavy train up an incline is no easy task, let alone a full train.

Isn't there something different about Top Gun's chain in that it only spools up when it's lifting a train? On most coasters, the chain is always running. But if I remember right, Top Gun's chain only spools up when it's actually lifting a train, and then it either stops or drastically slows down.

Yes it slows down. Why have a motor running at full speed while its not doing anything? It would cause more wear and tear on the motor.

Same principle applies on why you shouldnt rev up your engine to running speed while in park, or with the brake on. It puts unneeded wear and tear on the motor.

Yes it slows down. Why have a motor running at full speed while its not doing anything? It would cause more wear and tear on the motor.

Same principle applies on why you shouldnt rev up your engine to running speed while in park, or with the brake on. It puts unneeded wear and tear on the motor.

Yes but Top Gun's chain dang near comes to a stop whereas most of the other coasters' chains slow very little, if at all.

(not that it really matters anyways; this was just an observation since people were talking about Top Gun's quirky chain lift)

• 1 month later...

Being that Flight Deck still has a pretty decent speed when it hits those breaks, what do you think the chances of Cedar Fair giving it a little more track? I like the ride the way it is, but it's just too daggone short. It needs a little bit more tracking added...but is this even possible at this point considering the ride type and it's company are basically finito? I don't know but personally I would Like to see it get a cobalt blue and white paint job. It would match the logo so much better. Does anybody know if they're going to change the trains to match the colors in the logo, or have they already? That red and black striping is going to bother me if it's still there.

i think flight deck is just the right length. that style of coaster can be nauseating, so any longer and i think there would be a lot of sick people. if you compare flight deck to other coasters still operating of that style, we have one of the best.

I have actually thought about this a little, and the only real room that they would have to expand Flight Deck is either through/over SOB, and even then, it would be tough to design as well as be expensive due to the renovations you would have to make to SOB.

I think the better chance you have (and this is probably a few years away) is SOB being torn down, Flight Deck being torn out, and something brand new put into both spots.

Of course, CF is not much of throwing away rides...

I have actually thought about this a little, and the only real room that they would have to expand Flight Deck is either through/over SOB, and even then, it would be tough to design as well as be expensive due to the renovations you would have to make to SOB.

I think the better chance you have (and this is probably a few years away) is SOB being torn down, Flight Deck being torn out, and something brand new put into both spots.

Of course, CF is not much of throwing away rides...

I doubt CF would remove SoB after putting millions in it just to retrack it, and get new trains for it. That would be stupid. SoB is now running reliably, and had the longest wait in the park the last 2 times i've gone! So i'd say it's here to stay.

Are you by any chance familiar with a large wooden coaster called Hercules that Cedar Fair inherited when it bought Dorney Park, spent millions and millions on trying to get it to run comfortably, then demolished and replaced with a steel B and M floorless coaster called Hydra?

but SOB is a world record breaking coaster! you've gotta keep it. plus in addition to the long lines it has, people love it. whenever i ride everyone is laughing and cheering. sure it's not the smoothest, but have you rode The Beast this year? i think it's a lot worse. the only really bumpy part of SOB is the bottom of the double helix. plus the ride adds to the skyline of the park. so i'd say unless there is another accident, it's here to stay. personally, i think they should replace the bottom of the helix with some pre-fab wood track and replace the trains with some ptc's that are made for turns.

on another note, if there would be a way to shorten the time you wait in the brakes at flight deck, i'd be all for it! any ideas?

I doubt CF would remove SoB after putting millions in it just to retrack it, and get new trains for it. That would be stupid. SoB is now running reliably, and had the longest wait in the park the last 2 times i've gone! So i'd say it's here to stay.

If SoB can operate consistantly in 2008, then you can call it reliable. It has only been operating with the renovations and new trains for just over half a season.

And in all reality, how long you wait for a ride is not a good gauge on how popular a ride is.