eek! Top gun!

Cody

Just because Son of Beast currently holds word records does no mean the park has to keep the ride. It also does not mean that it is a great ride. Personally, Son of Beast is a little too bone jarring for me to ride on every visit to the park. I rode it once on opening day this year. And I can honestly say that I have no real desire to ride it again this year. If maintenance issues continue to be a problem with the ride, and if ridership dwindles, there will be a point when Kings Island decides that enough is enough and its time to bring in the wrecking balls. As much as people hate to admit it, that is likely the reason why Kenton`s Cove Keelboat Canal was removed in favor of The Crypt. Its last couple of years, the ride was looking pretty shabby and was in need of a revamp. Rather then revamp it, they decided to revamp the Kings Mills Log Flume and gut KCKC for the new attraction.

You are saying that you think The Beast is rougher then Son of Beast? Surely you say that with tongue in cheek! But, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

if it has good capacity and there is a long line i'd say it is.

There are too many variables that go into why a line is long or not. How many trains are operating? Is the crew hitting their intervals? Are full trains being sent out? Are the guests familiar with the restraints? Does the ride have small, but periodic, downtime issues?

that all deals with capacity. ki's site says SOB has an hourly capacity of 1000 people, The Beast 1200, the crypt 600, Firehawk 400. take a look at the lines and you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how popular each ride is. it may not be the most accurate way, but it works to an extent

that all deals with capacity. ki's site says SOB has an hourly capacity of 1000 people, The Beast 1200, the crypt 600, Firehawk 400. take a look at the lines and you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how popular each ride is. it may not be the most accurate way, but it works to an extent

Those reasons I gave for a long/ short line don't deal with capacity, yet they affect capacity. And the hourly capacity, again, is affected by the reasons that were previously stated.

Think of it this way: if there was only one train operating on FH and the queue was filled with a potential 3 hour wait, and FoF had 3 trains operating with a 20 minute wait, does that mean FH is more popular than FoF?

... personally, i think they should replace the bottom of the helix with some pre-fab wood track and replace the trains with some ptc's that are made for turns....

There are times I really, really, really wish Dave Althoff, Jr., aka Rideman posted here. PTC's made for turns? HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR! There is a reason GCII developed Millennium Flyer trains. And that GCII coasters are so curvaceous.

There are too many variables that go into why a line is long or not. How many trains are operating? Is the crew hitting their intervals? Are full trains being sent out? Are the guests familiar with the restraints? Does the ride have small, but periodic, downtime issues?

Actually while I was waiting the hour in line for SoB. As we watched the trains, the train in the station would be released at the same time the other train was at a certain point. And, the ACTUAL LINE was long, as in there were a lot of people going on SoB, not just the wait time.

Actually while I was waiting the hour in line for SoB. As we watched the trains, the train in the station would be released at the same time the other train was at a certain point. And, the ACTUAL LINE was long, as in there were a lot of people going on SoB, not just the wait time.

Ok.

Now compare SoB's 2 train operation of 24 people per train with Beast and it's 3 train operation of 36 people per train. Since SoB had a longer line does that make it the more popular of the 2 rides?

Although I am a huge fan of SoB... I doubt it will ever be more popular then The Beast. If things would of went a little different when it came to trains and tweaking of the SoB design it might have stood a chance. However, you can never take away the stats The Beast laid on the table. I doubt will ever see a woodie like it again. However, I will say I've been twice this season and papa is being more beastier than sonny IMHO. Sonny still gets ya... but papa had me a little delirious. I will say The Racer got the most love in the Wooden department this year. It is oh so smooth.

I doubt that SOB will be removed in the next ten years, for many reasons. One: it's a record breaker, something that KI is proud of. Two: CF invested so much into making it an enjoyable ride, i highly doubt they would tear it down after all the money they spent on it. And three: almost all of the guest i see get off of SOB clap and cheer, than either say the want to go again... or do go on again. The ride has had pretty long waits the past few months (including last season.) Flight Deck will be removed before SOB.

I can't even tell who will own the park two years from now, much less when/if Son of Beast will be removed. And no one in the industry gives a tinker's darn whether or not a coaster is a record breaker when the time comes to consider removal. It's all about cost, popularity, marketing, cost, location, cost and cost.

If it were me...SOB would never be removed. The ride is one of a kind and will probably remain that way for a while. I doubt we will see another woddie of this magnitude in the near future if at all...SOB was a pretty gutsy move, one which I personally think paid off. I have seen countless people on other forums that were so upset that they never got to ride it with out the loop, or haven't gotten to ride it at all, or were planning a trip solely for SOB. Tearing it down would be INSANE!

Anyway...those Flight Deck trains are hideous...could they not have repainted them at least. They look like crap.

Enthusiasts and people who post on park related/coaster related forums make up only a tiny percentage of park visitors. And you may personally think Son of Beast has paid off, but I sincerely doubt it has made the first dime for the park, as of yet. In addition to all the money that Viacom, CBS and now Cedar Fair have sunk into it, it has cost many, many people their jobs, bankrupted the original company who was to build it (Paramount Parks took over as general contractor), been the subject of dozens of lawsuits (one of which resulted in a large judgment FOR the park...on which, to my knowledge, not one dime has been collected), caused or been alleged to have caused more than a few injuries (including two documented broken necks, two broken sternums, and other injuries), and has greatly increased the park's maintenance budget and operating costs.

I don't believe anyone has said anything about it "paying off". The popularity and status is what has been questioned. But again, the park has put way to much time and money into this one-of-a-kind expierience to get rid of it.

I don't believe anyone has said anything about it "paying off". The popularity and status is what has been questioned. But again, the park has put way to much time and money into this one-of-a-kind expierience to get rid of it.

See below, you said it yourself:

If it were me...SOB would never be removed. The ride is one of a kind and will probably remain that way for a while. I doubt we will see another woddie of this magnitude in the near future if at all...SOB was a pretty gutsy move, one which I personally think paid off. I have seen countless people on other forums that were so upset that they never got to ride it with out the loop, or haven't gotten to ride it at all, or were planning a trip solely for SOB. Tearing it down would be INSANE!

Anyway...those Flight Deck trains are hideous...could they not have repainted them at least. They look like crap.

I didn't mean paid off as in financially....I guess that was a bad choice of words. What I meant was that it gained them some attention and brought them more public recognition considering that a majority of the public LOVES that ride. That was just a word choice issue...my bad.

How do you know a majority of the public loves Son of Beast? A majority of the public doesn't even go to Kings Island..of those who do, a majority doesn't ride the roller coasters...of those who do, I doubt a majority of that minority of a minority even rides Son of Beast, much less loves it...

... personally, i think they should replace the bottom of the helix with some pre-fab wood track and replace the trains with some ptc's that are made for turns....

There are times I really, really, really wish Dave Althoff, Jr., aka Rideman posted here. PTC's made for turns? HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR! There is a reason GCII developed Millennium Flyer trains. And that GCII coasters are so curvaceous.

I read his trip reports! I find them really interesting.

How do you know a majority of the public loves Son of Beast? A majority of the public doesn't even go to Kings Island..of those who do, a majority doesn't ride the roller coasters...of those who do, I doubt a majority of that minority of a minority even rides Son of Beast, much less loves it...

Well though I never claimed to be a statistical genius I think it is made pretty obvious when all I've ever heard is cheering after the ride and watched people "marathon", if you will, the thing about 4-5 times.

Well though I never claimed to be a statistical genius I think it is made pretty obvious when all I've ever heard is cheering after the ride and watched people "marathon", if you will, the thing about 4-5 times.

That was probably me, one ride on SOB in front hurts most people, but back seat 5-8 times in a row doesn't bother me at all!

That was probably me, one ride on SOB in front hurts most people, but back seat 5-8 times in a row doesn't bother me at all!

Are you not the same little guy who said:

I ride everything, well except i usually pass on Drop Tower. It's one of the rides i have to be in a mood for. And ever since the 26th. the only way ill ride Delirium... is if it's the last ride. It hurts my back so bad, it ruined almost half my trip last time, and Invertigo didn't help...

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry215591

My head hurts! :)

Are you not the same little guy who said:

I ride everything, well except i usually pass on Drop Tower. It's one of the rides i have to be in a mood for. And ever since the 26th. the only way ill ride Delirium... is if it's the last ride. It hurts my back so bad, it ruined almost half my trip last time, and Invertigo didn't help...

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry215591

My head hurts! :)

Yes, Delirium hurts my back, but SOB doesnt!

I'd rather them get rid of Flight of Fear than Top Gun, personally!

I have never had problems on it. If they were to take it down, I'd say they make it more like the one at Carowinds where it goes upside down. (Inverted)

FOF on the other hand, thats a whole new story for me. Its worse than SOB to me, and I have been on SOB with and without the loop, and FOF is still worse.

FOF is my fave. SOB is smoother than The Beast and i find it more enjoyable.

i don't want to see any coasters removed even if i don't like them.

that way i can ride my favorites while others ride the crappy ones and don't take up space in my line.

So marathoning a ride 4-5 times and cheering makes a ride popular with the majority of the public? And the majority of the public doesn't even go to KI? Can you explain that idea in greater detail?

I didn't mean paid off as in financially....I guess that was a bad choice of words. What I meant was that it gained them some attention and brought them more public recognition considering that a majority of the public LOVES that ride. That was just a word choice issue...my bad.

So the attention gained from numerous injuries and a major renovation was a good thing?

Your factual statements are rather confusing...