Demon Drop...

DropZone99

a. If you haven't ridden it, you'd not know. Demon Drop still puts a pit in my stomach, every time. No other type of freefall ride since has managed to do that. Even once.

b. On the other hand, as has been said, it's a maintenance nightmare.

c. Size is not the sole or even best measure of how good a ride is. If it is, then the best coasters, by far, are Kingda Ka, Son of Beast, Steel Dragon 2000 and Beast.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a. If you haven't ridden it, you'd not know. Demon Drop still puts a pit in my stomach, every time. No other type of freefall ride since has managed to do that. Even once.

b. On the other hand, as has been said, it's a maintenance nightmare.

c. Size is not the sole or even best measure of how good a ride is. If it is, then the best coasters, by far, are Kingda Ka, Son of Beast, Steel Dragon 2000 and Beast.

The 1st gen drop ride at Six Flags over Georgia was my first drop ride (even though I have a lovely prototype 2nd gen in my own back yard at SFKK). There is something about it that is cool. I always worry that when you move forward from the elevator shaft I'm not going to get perfectly aligned on the drop track. Yes I know I have irrational fears!

we'll probably never see D.P. in action again once Cedar Point takes it out . Its still a wow to watch it come down and the sounds that go with it.

Cedar Point will not move it to another park, maybe and the maintenance seems to be huge:

Well Cedar Point needs a good family dark ride maybe a snoopy themed ride???????

Wow would that rock:

Are you sure that maintenance is a big issue on DD? I've never seen that ride not running due to maintenance, and there's never more than 3 ops running it because there's never a line.

I can still remember when the line for DD was well over an hour all the time. It would be the last ride of the night for my family. At least until Magnum was built.

I suppose the maintenance issues would be about constantly replacing worn parts. Just listening to DD operate, you can tell that there is a ton of friction in many aspects. Sure grease helps, but there is still friction.

• 1 month later...

i have a phobia of being wrenched up high held there then droped. i cant ride DZ or PT drop side because i pass out when held up there but DD doesnt hold that long once your up there your down.

I dread the day when I do get on DD and its breaks down when were at the top, i would just die.

But this is were it get more complicated im not afraid of getting stuck on any coaster at the top because i can still see the track in front of me. I can also do anything that shots you straight up and back down. Sling Shot, PT launch side, and Liberty Launch dont scare me. I really dont know why i have this problem. An this is why DD is my fav. drop ride. If they get rid of it i will never ride a drop ride again.

• 5 weeks later...

HI everyone, first time poster here, found the site Monday on a Google search for info on Opening day... GREAT site and Im glad I found this. As for the topic at hand, I agree about freefall rides like DZ and the like.... I can't ride em because being that high in the air and held with nothing around me scares the s__t outta me. I DO however Love the first gens like DD because I am sitting IN a car and feel a lot safer. As far as the aforementioned maintainance issues are concerned, does anyone know if CP happened to purchace any of the parts from the one that was dismantled in Texas, or are they going to just run it till they A)run out of spare parts from Mr Hyde's or B)sell it?

^ Welcome!

Given CP's past, the removal of DD is to make way for a new ride. Whenever that possible plan is to take effect is when DD will be taken down, sold or not.

There is a good chance that CP did take parts from Mr. Hyde's at GL, as well as purchase parts from SF. But they would never release that kind of information to the public.

^ Welcome!

Given CP's past, the removal of DD is to make way for a new ride. Whenever that possible plan is to take effect is when DD will be taken down, sold or not.

There is a good chance that CP did take parts from Mr. Hyde's at GL, as well as purchase parts from SF. But they would never release that kind of information to the public.

If you remove DD, wait till NEXT year, I'm going to CP in June!

this has nothing to do with drop rides, but goes along with things hitting the bottom before the car...I rode Mr. freeze at SF St. Louis a couple years ago, and someone chucked a penny as we were going down the top hat backwards...the penny floated next to my head the whole way down, and was really cool, and then landed back in the car at the persons feet directly behind me. YAY pointless story.

this has nothing to do with drop rides, but goes along with things hitting the bottom before the car...I rode Mr. freeze at SF St. Louis a couple years ago, and someone chucked a penny as we were going down the top hat backwards...the penny floated next to my head the whole way down, and was really cool, and then landed back in the car at the persons feet directly behind me. YAY pointless story.

While at SFGAm, when we rode Raging Bull 10 times in a single day, my friend did something similar to this a couple times. Although, he stopped when we heard the penny clanking back through the rest of the train in a violent manner.

A few posters on an internet park enthusiast site is hardly everyone. What parks are buying new ones? To whom was Six Flags able to sell any of theirs? What happened to Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall at Geauga Lake? How come Cedar Fair hasn't been able to sell Demon Drop as of yet?

How come Cedar Fair hasn't been able to sell Raging Wolf Bobs, The Villain, and Big Dipper from Geauga Lake as of yet?

Oh, and the two best droppy rides at Kings Island are:

1) Drop Zone - If 25 people fall 316 feet (technically 264 feet) in the middle of an amusement park, and no one's around to hear it, do they make a sound?

2) Plankton's Plunge - Trust me, once you've ridden this five times in a row (without getting off) in the rain with just you and your friends aboard, you'll find the 18(?) feet of constant uping and downing a total blast. Oh, and it's also fun in th sun too. :)

^ I think you missed the point.

Nobody is buying the Intamin Generation 1 drop rides new or used.

The unsold GL rides really had nothing to do with the comment you quoted.

But since you brought it up, chances are CF cannot sell RWB and Villian due to the fact that they are not being sold with thier trains as well as they really are not the most enjoyable rides out there.

Now why BD cannot be sold, the only thing that I can think of is if parts are too difficult to come by.

You can see much discussion about GL's unsold rides here:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11659

Well, most wood coasters have pretty generic parts. Although, the rolling stock used on the Big Dipper were hybrid NAD trains that had been highly modified by the park`s maintenance staff. That is where the uniqueness of the trains could pose some problems with getting accurate replacement parts. However, I would think some park would be interested in a classic ride like that. But, the cost of relocating the ride, coupled with the cost of actually buying the ride from Cedar Fair may be prohibitive from any potential buyers.

Also, Plankton`s plunge is a rather mild and timid ride. Compared to the Frog Hopper at Coney Island, Coney Island`s ride wins hands down. The Frog Hopper has quite a bit more bounce and spring then what Plankton`s Plunge has. And need not forget the Scream Machine at Coney (a Moser spring ride) is a fun little ride from a height of 40 feet, and offers multiple drops per cycle.