Kings Island Last Day Of Operation

mikejenkins1

Ok, just wondering about this. It shows on the KI calendar that the park is open on the week of Halloween. It shows the park open from 7-12Midnight on those nights up to and through Halloween. Is this true? They have never done this before have they (open during week in October)? So this means the last real night of park operation is on Halloween? I checked, and Cedar Point is not open these days? Can anyone confirm this?

Being "bare bones" nights, we may not even see rides in operation. We're not really sure at this point. We do know that only major major attractions will be open.

So I can expect multiple re-rides on Plankton's Plunge, right!? :P

Thanks for the responses. Curious as to why Cedar Point is not doing the same? Did check other parks and WOF, Carowinds, are open Mon-Wed (limited operation) and Wonderland is only open on the 31st. Go figure. Kind of wierd they would not follow a common schedule..

My guess for CP is that they're not located in an immediate enough urban area (being Sandusky), while WOF, Caro, and KI are...and as for CW, my guess is cold weather on that one....

Thanks for the responses. Curious as to why Cedar Point is not doing the same? Did check other parks and WOF, Carowinds, are open Mon-Wed (limited operation) and Wonderland is only open on the 31st. Go figure. Kind of wierd they would not follow a common schedule..

Having attended College in Ashland, Ohio ... I can assure you that it's not uncommon to have snow for Halloween. That could be a strong reason as to why Cedar Point would no be open for a Halloween event so late.

Agree, but I have lived in Ohio all my life and in Paramounts last few years they used to keep KI open an extra bonus weekend in early Nov. The park was PACKED and I am sure it was worth it. Just odd that they are open during the week (I can see Halloween only with no rides). Also, as mentioned a park North of CP is open on Halloween (Wonderland).

Agree, but I have lived in Ohio all my life and in Paramounts last few years they used to keep KI open an extra bonus weekend in early Nov. The park was PACKED and I am sure it was worth it. Just odd that they are open during the week (I can see Halloween only with no rides). Also, as mentioned a park North of CP is open on Halloween (Wonderland).

Remember that Wonderland is located in Canada. Those folk live in Igloo's and their primary from of transportation is Dog Sled. Cold and snow is not an issue.

Also, as mentioned a park North of CP is open on Halloween (Wonderland).

Yes but that park isnt surrounded on three sides by Lake Erie. It has a considerable affect on the local weather not just when it comes to summer time storms but also due to wind chills in cold weather. The lake adds humidity to the air, which is a major factor in wind chills that makes it "feel" colder. Having been to CP last year in late October, Im not too sure I want to be there at night (which is what it would have to be for weekdays) ever again. In order to ride, I had to wear two hats, two gloves, under armor suit, turtleneck, hoodie, fleece jacket, 2 piece Columbia winter parka and flannel lined jeans. It was fun, but again I dont think I want to do that again, at least when the lows are in the low 20s/high teens (and a wind chill of 10 on the ground, God knows what on the actual coasters.)

This year I have wisely scheduled my trips so that I will be at CP for this Friday (opening night) and the 5th, and KI for the 26th and 27th. I know it will still be cold in Mason, but I doubt it will be worse then Sandusky.

The reason why it was packed over the bonus weekend (and probably the reason they HAD the bonus weekend) was because anyone who purchased a season pass for the next year got two free tickets for that weekend. In fact, I remember getting an email offering 10 free tickets two or three years ago.

In addition, for as beautiful as the weather was that Sunday, November 6th (sunny and like 50-60's)....that Sunday wasn't THAT busy!! I'm pretty sure the weather on that Saturday was only good half the day, and I had to work that day at the Fields-Ertel Best Buy anyway!! :( So I dunno how busy Saturday was??

And don't forget that Paramount Parks had radio contests where literally thousands and thousands of free tickets were given as prizes. The hope was the prize winners (who got A ticket) would bring their significant other, kids, and perhaps even the neighborhood kids with them. And pay for parking, buy a hot dog or two, some pizza, some Coke and some stuff.

They are saying limited ride availability, but I would bet that all of the rides they have listed on the HH site will be operation on bare bones night at the least, and more rides will probably operate as staffing allows.

I don't know about that in terms of staffing, while I know not many ride workers are minors but there are some and they can only work past 11 on school nights, beyond that the staffing will have to come from colledge kids which is rough on them too staying till 1ish doing rides, getting back to colledge and having class at 8 the next morning. Then again you were in rides so you probably know better ;)

They are saying limited ride availability, but I would bet that all of the rides they have listed on the HH site will be operation on bare bones night at the least, and more rides will probably operate as staffing allows.

I don't know about that in terms of staffing, while I know not many ride workers are minors but there are some and they can only work past 11 on school nights, beyond that the staffing will have to come from colledge kids which is rough on them too staying till 1ish doing rides, getting back to colledge and having class at 8 the next morning. Then again you were in rides so you probably know better ;)

I have seen them use full time employees to help run rides with staff has been light as well. Math and Science day anyone? Also back in 2000 they did that very same thing to staff rides on Halloween Night for FearFest. I was a level 1 on Gun and I got stuck in the drive booth at Gun that night, with non-ride employees on the floor.