How many have visited Coney?

CoastersRZ

Well, since I have worked at Coney now for six seasons (very hard to believe), I thought I`d create this poll to see how many of you have visited Coney. So, if you have visited Coney, what did you think of the park? Do you plan on going back? How was your experience there? What was your favorite ride?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to Coney Island in Ohio many, many times. Sadly, only one of those visits was pre-Kings Island, but what an impression it made. I was a young lad, and had about $125 with me that day (which was a FORTUNE back then). I can't remember for sure, but I think The Shooting Star was 85 cents a ride. The food was quite reasonable and great, and the other rides were all less costly than The Shooting Star. I came back home with nearly nothing.

Boy, was I in trouble! But, I wouldn't trade those memories!

Well, if any one who hasn`t been to Coney gets a chance, I strongly recommend that they visit it. Yes, it is a small park and doesn`t have any big roller coasters. But it does have a decent collection of flat rides. I mean, what other local park has bumper boats, or a Tempest, or a Flying Bobs, or a Trabant or even a Rock O Plane? It is definitely worth a visit. Also, the prices aren`t outrageous either.

Keep in mind that the rides will be open at Coney the last weekend for one last weekend this year, in September for the Falloween & Farm Festival. Admission is $9 and the rides are open from noon-6 each day. I`ll likely be working the rides both of those days.

• 2 weeks later...

I last went to Coney about 8 years ago when the python was new. I remember riding the scrambler over and over and over and the section of sunlite pool where you can stand and feel the water shoot up on your feet. I went to Riverbend this summer and saw the rock o plane (which looks great) from the car but I havent rideen a ride at Coney is 8 years.

flightoffear1996, Coney does not charge admission to walk around the grounds of the park. You do have to buy a rides wristband to ride the rides. During the summer, you can buy a rides wristband for around $10. When I first started at Coney back in 2002, in addition to the rides wristbands, you could buy individual tickets for the rides. Tickets cost 50 cents a piece. Most of the kiddie rides required two tickets, while most adult rides were three tickets. The Python cost four tickets and the pedal boats required six tickets for each boat that went out.

• 3 months later...

Ohh, I only remember going twice,

1) I remember on a 3rd grade field trip and we rode all the rides, and when we went to Sunlite pool, I forgot my swim trunks and swam in my shorts, and they still smell like chlorine.

2) In the 5th grade I had a babysitter for the weekend, and we talked her into to taking us to Coney at night, and the next morning we went to the aquarium.

I went to Sunlight Pool many moons ago... it was on a daycare trip (and yes, I was one of the kids, not one of the teachers). This was probably around 1985. I've never been to Coney, except for walking through it to get to Riverbend.

I checked out ConeyIslandCentral a few weeks ago and the park looks great. I got to thinking that we need to go there this summer, and then I remembered that the company I just started working for has their company picnic at Coney Island in June. I can't wait to go, it looks like fun.

JacksonPKI, don`t count on a wooden coaster at Coney. At least not next year anyway. Honestly, I would be surprised if Coney adds a wood coaster in the next five years. Will there be changes in the rides next year? Potentially. The Giant Slide will likely be in a different location at the very least, for the reason I mention below. It currently is sitting in the Sunlite Pool parking lot, all folded up, and visible from Kellogg Road.

Technically, Riverbend Music Center, where the concerts are held, is not officially part of Coney Island. The property that Riverbend sits on is owned by the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. Coney does, however, gain revenue from parking and concessions from Riverbend concerts, in exchange for giving Riverbend the land. Keep in mind that there is a new pavilion currently being built (on the former site of the Giant Slide) for smaller acts to perform at Riverbend.

Yes, Saturdays and Sundays throughout the summer often feature numerous company picnics. Last year I only worked on weekends, so I was often working on the busier days of the week. Depending where I get a co-op job this spring, I may be back for my seventh year as a ride operator. Coney is a great family park, and has a totally different feel and atmosphere to it then what Kings Island has.

And as XGatorHead 8904 mentioned, if you have never been to Coney Island, or haven`t been there recently, you can check out Coney Island Central. I am the webmaster for Coney Island Central. If any one has any historical pictures of Coney that they are willing to contribute to the site, please PM me, and they can be added to the photo gallery, with credits given.

If coming from Dayton, there are several ways to get to Coney. You can take I-75 to Eastbound 275. You will stay on 275 until you come to the Kellogg Avenue exit (Exit 72). You will see signs for both Coney Island and Riverbend before that exit. That exit is also the last exit for 275, before the interstate crosses into Kentucky. Once you get off the express way, you will hang a left at the traffic light, and go under 275. The main entrance to the parking lot will be on your right, immediately past the Coney Island sign. The main parking entrance is actually an ornate Spanish styled building, where you will pay your parking fee of $6 per car.

For a better visual idea of where Coney is located, check out the map on their website.

Guest kwindshawne
If coming from Dayton, there are several ways to get to Coney. You can take I-75 to Eastbound 275. You will stay on 275 until you come to the Kellogg Avenue exit (Exit 72). You will see signs for both Coney Island and Riverbend before that exit. That exit is also the last exit for 275, before the interstate crosses into Kentucky. Once you get off the express way, you will hang a left at the traffic light, and go under 275. The main entrance to the parking lot will be on your right, immediately past the Coney Island sign. The main parking entrance is actually an ornate Spanish styled building, where you will pay your parking fee of $6 per car.

For a better visual idea of where Coney is located, check out the map on their website.

thanks

Actually, at a mere 45 feet high, the Ferris Wheel is barely visible from 275, and you have to look for it if you are on 275. It, however is visible from Kellogg Avenue (as are the Scramber, Tempest, Bumper Boats and Pedal Boats, as well as a few other attractions.)