How many have visited Coney?

CoastersRZ

Um, ok. Kings Island has relaxing rides besides just the Zephyr. Scrambler, Monster, Carousel, Eiffel Tower, Action FX Theater, Shake Rattle and Roll, the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad, and the Eiffel Tower to name a few.

I`m not sure how your comments relate to the topic at hand...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never have, but from hearing what you guys say, I wouldn't mine visiting it in the near future. I know my mother has, and my grandparents did, and even my great grandparents.

I heard a story about the Shooting Star and my great-grandma (She is alive and well in her mid 80's). She was leary about riding it, and then saw a couple of older elderly women getting off of the ride, and laughing and carrying on about how fun it was. Well, needless to say, after her experience on the ride, they left the park if memory serves me correctly.

Um, ok. Kings Island has relaxing rides besides just the Zephyr. Scrambler, Monster, Carousel, Eiffel Tower, Action FX Theater, Shake Rattle and Roll, the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad, and the Eiffel Tower to name a few.

There is no way in the world that you just considered the Scrambler, Kings Island's scrambler, as a relaxing ride. I see no reason for this designation, the Scrambler at KI packs a wallop. It is perhaps one of the rides at Kings Island that makes folks the sickest. I also have friends galore who refuse to ride Shake Rattle and Roll not just because it isnt a roller coaster or isnt "fun" to them, but also because it always makes them sick. Relaxing? No. Last time I checked, vometing once the world quits spinning isnt relaxing. I will agree with monster because it is IMO more humble than the other two, and the others you listed as well. I would also add SDHC, and Dodgems to your list however.

Now, most all of the rides at Kings Island I would consider relaxing to me, but many, many others who I know, would never consider SR&R or Scrambler to be "mild" even in the least!

Well, I`ve had my fair share of rides on the Monster, including one this past season, where my tub was spinning like crazy. I was so dizzy when I got off, I could barely walk. It was the one time I felt sick at Kings Island and that I would not be able to ride anything else that day! Even though it made me feel ill for about twenty minutes, that one ride was awesome. Needless to say, that was the most dizzying ride I`ve ever had on the Monster. Most of the times, the rides just slowly rock back and forth.

But CoastersRZ, you are the one who listed Monster and Scrambler as among the relaxing rides! :)

Pity the poor soul who has only ridden Monster and then rides the Spider at Holiday World, or better yet, Camden Park, expecting the same ride experience! The same can be said of Kings Island's Scrambler, compared to those at some county fairs or the way they all used to run thirty years ago!

On the scrambler and monster, I puke. Same with shake rattle and roll. not to be negative.

On the scrambler and monster, I puke. Same with shake rattle and roll. not to be negative.

Remind me to never ride with you ;)

Remind me to never ride with you ;)

That's the thing, I NEVER puke on coasters. (well, I alomst did on that one run on The Beast,)

No, I understand what you were saying Interpreter. But, I was merely pointing out to our dear friend PKIJackson, that there are other relaxing rides at Kings Island besides just the Zephyr.

I see that, theres the helicopter ride, the Rugrats ride, plenty of them. I'm just unable to enjoy some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have gone to Coney Island and find that it is getting better each year. I am thinking strongly on getting a season pass for there this year. The Pool is really nice and always clean. That is probably one of the negative things I can say about Kings Island - I was at their water park this year - I don't know if it is because of the "waterfall" in it or not but the water was greenish brown. It kind of smelled so I really did not stay in it long lol. The rest of the water park was pretty cool.

As for Sunlite Pool that thing is huge and you really never run out of room to swim!! Plus they have this lifeguard on a boat - that one tickles me to be swimming and see this boat passing you by lol. Really it is a really nice and clean park.

The rest of the park is really a nice place - not good for rollercoaster fans granted but a very relaxing place to visit with the family. Plenty to do and see. There are some really nice places to just sit and watch the action, awesome shows and fun games that are very very reasonably priced! One of the things I get a kick out of are those little buildings!!!

Ah, yes, National City Kids Town. Pint sized buildings perfect for youngster`s imaginations!

Having worked the Ferris Wheel now for five years, which is right next to Lakeside Pavilion where the outdoor shows occur, they can get a little old after a while! On any given shift, you will usually hear the same show two times. I`ve even had riders on the Ferris Wheel ask me if they were a "karaoke competition." Seriously though, Coney`s live shows are usually very lively and entertaining. Not quite as good as any of Kings Island`s shows, but those obviously have much larger budgets then Coney`s live shows.

Well, Coney certainly doesn`t have major roller coasters like Kings Island. But, the Pepsi Python packs quite a little punch. Some of the hills offer quite a bit of force.

Coney is not all kiddie rides either. Yes, there is a large collection of kiddie rides there. But there are adult rides as well. Keep in mind that The Tempest, Rock-O-Plane, Scream Machine, and Super Round Up all have minimum height requirements of 48" to ride (The Tempest is a little more stringent with those guests between 48" and 52" needing to be accompanied by a a responsible adult). Round Up, Tempest and Rock O Planes all offer some pretty intense rides. And they are ride experiences which you cannot find at most major amusement parks anymore. They are classic amusement park rides.

Spoken with experience: There is a reason the back seat is blocked off on Pepsi Python! And how.

Besides, the Rock-O-Plane there is stupendous....the Tempest is unbelievable, and the park offers an old fashioned ambiance that is unlikely to ever be duplicated in any Cedar Fair or Six Flags park.

Not to mention that Coney Island has a Ferris Wheel! And a cool operator for it, too!

Why thank you. I`ve spent five of my six years at Coney primarily working that one ride, which is my favorite ride to run. That is in part because you get face to face interaction with each and every guest as they board the ride. (I also liked working the Rock O Plane as well.) It doesn`t hurt that both of those rides required two people to operate either! Depending on where my final co-op jobs ends up at, 2007 might have been my last year as a ride operator at Coney Island. But if that is the case, I would be onto much bigger and better things (at a place that would likely be more fun then working at Coney)!

Spoken with experience: There is a reason the back seat is blocked off on Pepsi Python! And how.

Besides, the Rock-O-Plane there is stupendous....the Tempest is unbelievable, and the park offers an old fashioned ambiance that is unlikely to ever be duplicated in any Cedar Fair or Six Flags park.

Not to mention that Coney Island has a Ferris Wheel! And a cool operator for it, too!

Coney Island has such a great atmoshpere.

If they could get a Racer type ride, it would be a boring-saturday-with-nothing-to-do heven!

• 5 weeks later...

I need some Coney history. I know that KI was opened as a kind of replacement(or something like that) for Coney. I heard the problem with Coney was that it flooded quite a bit back in the day. How is it that they managed to stay open and is flooding still a problem? If not, how did they solve that probem?

I would really like to visit Coney...never been there. But, I think I'd really like the atmosphere as it would be a huge change from something like KI and CP to something a bit smaller, but with lots of character.

On my last visit to Coney in 2006, I noticed that over by the company picnic area they have a large pole with signs at various heights denoting the water level of the floods that occured during various years. I seem to remember the highest one being from the 1930's, with a height of about 15 feet. So, yes, I think it's safe to say that flooding was the demise of Coney.

Yes, flooding (and lack of room to grow) was one of the main reasons that Coney eventually looked into moving the park. A move that would be facilitated by Taft Broadcasting buying the park in July of 1968 for $6.5 million.

The flood of 1964 is one that initially sparked interest in management looking at moving the park to a new location that would not be prone to flooding from the Ohio River. That year, the Ohio River crested just over 66 feet.

And flooding still is a problem at Coney. The last time that it was flooded was in 2005. But the flood of 1997 was a major flood that inundated the first floor of most of the park buildings. Flooding is just a fact of life that Coney has been dealing with since its inception.

Here is the flood meter that Coney has back by the Group Picnic Groves that depicts all the major floods that have hit Coney over the years.

Additionally, there are markers seen throughout the park denoting how high the flood waters were during the flood of 1997. One of those markers is seen here.

Don`t forget to check out Coney Island Central for lots of historical information on Coney as well as an extensive photo gallery.

Oh yeah, I came totally unsuspecting to the balloon show on July 3, 2005, I went for the first and last time, that was insane, I tried to leave an hour early we were stuck in the parking lot and couldn't get out, got out of the parking space but due to people who parked in places they shouldn't the people trying to leave were blocked in, we had to sit in the car for about 90 minutes till it finally cleared, what a joke, those cars should've been towed, you shouldn't be able to just block people in and lots of people were trying to leave and couldn't

Well, that also depends what parking lot you were parked in. The fireworks are shot off on land between Lake Como and Kellogg Avenue. Due to the close proximity to Gate 1 parking (the west parking lot, usually for group picnics, concerts or Moonlite Gardens events), access out of or into the parking lot is shut off before the fireworks. I know. One of the employee parking lots is right inside gate one, and we weren`t even allowed to get to our cars until about five minutes after the fireworks had ended.

July 3rd is by far the busiest day of the year for Coney. The odd thing is, if you are there in the morning until mid afternoon, you likely would never know, as crowds are light to moderate throughout most of the morning and early afternoon hours. But around 6, people really start piling in.

Most weekdays the crowds are fairly reasonable, depending on how many group picnics there are. But be forewarned, a full queue line for the Python is about a thirty minute wait, give or take.

Guest rcfreak339

Yes ,Ive been to Coney and had a geat time I loved all the old rides they had some rides i havnt seen before! I also visited the sunlight pool and was awsome its huge I loved that silvver slide thats like right in the middle of the pool I would love to go back! :)