The Italian Job: Stunt Track

Tanner

A diversion.

Sometimes a parable is in order.

This thread spoke of park philosophies. Of methods, themes, practices and principles. It is paramount to gather understanding in order to understand future...uh....directions and which path will be chosen.

Sometimes a thread about a certain ride is really about far broader things. This may be one of those times.

Carry on. (or is it carrion?).

Terp, never one to not help in a way he should, in fact, he must. One path was chosen, and that has made all the difference. No Q's at this time, thank you! Exit, stage left....

• Like 2

A diversion.

This thread spoke of park philosophies. Of methods, themes, practices and principles. It is paramount to gather understanding in order to understand future...uh....directions and which path will be chosen.

Sometimes a thread about a certain ride is really about far broader things. This may be one of those times.

Carry on. (or is it carrion?).

Terp, never one to not help in a way he should, in fact, he must. One path was chosen, and that has made all the difference. No Q's at this time, thank you! Exit, stage left....

I feel that there is a certain aurora about your posts, but I may turn out to be all wet.

So Terp was wrong?

I don't think I've ever read anything Terp has written that could "interpreted" as right or wrong. I think the word is "vague". Terp may have bumped this thread as a simple distraction to refer to something else that's going on. Or Terp is just really bored and just wanted to see how much he could stir the pot!

I doubt that Interpreter meant to give the impression that a multi-million dollar roller coaster was being needlessly picked up piece-by-piece and re-assembled somewhere else in the park for the sake of thematic integrity that a vast minority of park visitors notice or care about.

But maybe he did. Who can ever say?

• Like 1

Well Terp, I read the whole thread from beginning to where you bumped like you requested. Now I am more confused than ever.

My best guess is that they are doing something under our nose and trying to surprise guests. There will be something waiting for us. SOB and other off-season activity has been a diversion, and something, be it big or small, is happening. I can't guess exactly what it is, but I think there is something happening.

Of course I have been wrong before.

• Like 2

A diversion.

This thread spoke of park philosophies...

Perhaps Cedar Fair is of the opinion, that with coasters, guests are always left wondering what's next, and simply wanting more. If that is the case, perhaps they go with the old mantra and "Go big or go home" with coaster expansion, and look to add giga coasters at their major parks that do not have one already. (KI & KBF specifcally)

While a 300' roller coaster is rather costly to make (especially compared to family attractions that have a faster r.o.i.), Leviathan ($28,000,000) and Intimidator 305 ($25,000,000) will look like wise investments as long as they enjoy long lifespans, something SoB and TR:TR never experienced although being costly attractions. I believe constructing a coaster that isn't meet with great pubic approval or is considered mediocre would be a bad move for KI. That being said, a giga seems to me to be the most "cant-miss" option for KI.

Now down to specifics. Cedar Fair seems to be about large, but not overly aggressive thrills. Right away the name Bolliger & Mabillard comes to mind here. It's also no secret that Cedair Fair has been working almost exclusively as of late with B&M for major coaster installations. Besides a smooth ride experience, B&M is also known for realiability, lack of downtime, and good rider capacity/load times.

Having a B&M giga in the location once occupied by SoB could make a nice compliment to Diamondback which is located on the other end of the park.

B&M giga in old SoB location 2014?

There is always the possibility that the bigger thrills will stay a few hours north. KI is really more of a family park as it is currently constituted anyway. With an award winning kids area and a number of family friendly rides and coasters. There are seven roller coasters that one could argue are family friendly along with pretty much every flat minus Drop Tower, Delirium, and WindSeeker. Is it crazy to think that they may continue to embrace this aspect of the park and add something that isn't a shiny new B&M/Intamin monster? Isn't something more along the lines of Shoot the Rapids or a family friendly dark ride just as likely? I think Ouimet is very aware that in park spending is where parks are going to have to look to increase revenues, as attendance across the board has been relatively flat the last few years. Who spends the most in the park during their visits? Families.

• Like 4